Loyola Strength & Conditioning
A body can only perform as long as it's getting a ready supply of fuel. An athlete's caloric intake is under high demand throughout the training process. They need adequate calories from all major food groups and minerals that will keep them at peak performance. This is the most underestimated and widely ignored aspect of training. At the collegiate level, this needs to be monitored to ensure the athlete is consuming the right amounts of calories to optimize training and competition, as well as preventing malnutrition and maintain their weight during the season.
Performance Nutrition Principles:
Athletes' nutritional needs vary on a daily basis with training intensity and duration. Caloric intake and carbohydrate, protein and fat consumption should be adjusted relative to activity levels. Athletes should always include a wide variety of foods in their diets and choose foods that have a high nutrient density.
Dehydration is a common cause of fatigue and sub-par performance. The body requires a constant and abundant supply of water to regulate temperature, remove waste products and metabolize food for energy. Adequate hydration before, during and after exercise is essential.
Athletes should strive to keep blood sugar and insulin levels stable throughout the day. This promotes the effective use of food as fuel and provides a favorable environment for muscle growth. Timing food and fluid intake throughout the day, but especially prior to, during, and post exercise is essential for sustaining a high level of performance.
How the staff assist the student athletes:
- Body weight and body composition percentage taken five times within the year (Sept, Nov, Jan March, May)
- Educate players and coaching staff on:
- Hydration pre, post, and during practice
- Timing of meals
- Change in weight
- Eating right on and off campus
- Eating for the time of year
- Work with players on individual meal plans based on:
- Test results
- Time of year
- Personal goals
- Work with coaching staff to arrange pre/post game meals when team is traveling to assure the most beneficial options are considered.
- You should not leave a meal feeling hungry, if you do then re-evaluate your portion size
- Do not leave a meal feeling “over full” because this will leave you uncomfortable and will make it difficult for your body to digest the meal as well.
- Eat small meals and snacks every 2 to 3 hours throughout the day. Timing should be planned around practice/game times.
- Eat a meal 3-4 hours before a game this will keep you from getting hungry and keep your blood sugar from getting low
- Have a small snack 20-30 minutes prior to exercise and/or games.
- Start your day early have breakfast by 9 am. This will allow you to take in more energy early in the day.
- Plan ahead and be prepared by having ample supply of food available at all times.
- Be consistent with your meal and snack schedule this will allow your body to digest better and will also regulate your blood sugar.
- Balance your food intake to match your physical activity level for that particular day and/or weekend.
- Make sure you have a variety of foods everyday rather than having the same food for every meal. This will keep you interested and also will prevent you from getting off schedule.
- Understand that before any type of activity (practice or game) it is not a good time to try new foods that your body may not be able to digest properly.
- Avoid eating processed foods, food cooked in heavy oils and fats, food that includes high levels of sugar, fat or starch.
- Make sure in every meal you have more than one food group represented to get a variety of nutrients throughout the day.
- Vegetables:3-5 servings (1/2 cup)
- Fruit: 2-4 servings (1 full piece)
- Dairy: 2-4 servings (1 cup)
- Protein: 2-3 servings (variety of options)
- Carbohydrates:6-10serving (1 piece)
- If you do not like to eat prior to activity substitute in liquid carbohydrates, such as a smoothie or meal replacement drink.
- Do not drink a lot of liquids at meals as it will fill you up faster and displace whole foods.
- Do not skip a meal because you do not want to get up early enough to eat. This will directly reflect your performance and energy for the remainder of the day.
- Always consult with a professional prior to taking any type of supplement.
- Eating healthy does not mean you should only eat salad and vegetables it mean you need to eat with common sense and with a open mind
- Gatorade (after activity)
- Unsweetened ice tea
- 2% or fat free milk
- Any 100% fruit juices (best-cranberry)
- Nutrition is just one component to healthy living.
- Be consistent with your exercise routine
- Sleeping habits
- Average 6-8 hours per night
Mountain Hawks Get Past Women’s Soccer
Lehigh scored two goals in the final 21 minutes Saturday, and the Mountain Hawks defeated...
Trio Win Twice Each As Women’s Swimming &...
Devin Cronin, Megan Dickey and Emma Schouten each won two individual events Friday afternoon,...
Rowing Makes Fall Debut Saturday At Prestigious...
Loyola rowing will make its 2017-2018 debut on Saturday when the Women’s Four competes in...
Men's Soccer Looks To Extend Win Streak...
The Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team will look to extend its three-game win streak on...
Final Regular-Season Road Trip Takes Women's...
Loyola women's soccer will take its final regular-season road trip of 2017 when it visits Lehigh ...
Volleyball Continues Play At Home Against Navy
Loyola volleyball is back in action Saturday, October 21, in Reitz Arena where the Greyhounds...
Walker Named Preseason All-Patriot League
Loyola senior guard Andre Walker was named to the Preseason All-Patriot League Team on Wednesday ...
Ensor Scores First Career Goal, But Eagles Top ...
Sarah Ensor scored her first collegiate goal Wednesday night, but Loyola women’s soccer was...
Wednesday, Oct 25 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer American 7:00 PM Live Stats Friday, Oct 27 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Tennis at Navy Mens Tennis Invitational 1:00 PM Saturday, Oct 28 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer at Lehigh 6:00 PM Women's Soccer Lafayette 1:00 PM Live Stats Men's Tennis at Navy Mens Tennis Invitational 9:00 AM Cross Country at Patriot League Championships 11:00 AM Swimming & Diving at Lehigh 1:00 PM Women's Volleyball Army West Point 7:00 PM Live Stats Crew vs Head of the Schuylkill Regatta All Day Men's Golf vs UNCG/Grandover Collegiate All Day Sunday, Oct 29 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Tennis at Navy Mens Tennis Invitational 9:00 AM Women's Volleyball Colgate 2:00 PM Live Stats Men's Golf vs UNCG/Grandover Collegiate All Day Thursday, Nov 2 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball Elizabethtown 7:00 PM Live Stats Friday, Nov 3 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Swimming & Diving vs. Drexel, Johns Hopkins, and West Chester 5:00 PM Women's Volleyball Lehigh 7:00 PM Live Stats Saturday, Nov 4 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer Lafayette 1:00 PM Live Stats Women's Volleyball at Bucknell 5:00 PM Swimming & Diving vs. Drexel, Johns Hopkins, and West Chester TBA Crew vs Head of the Occoquan Regatta All Day Tuesday, Nov 7 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer vs Patriot League Quarterfinals TBA Women's Volleyball Lafayette 7:00 PM Live Stats Friday, Nov 10 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at Northwestern 7:30 PM Women's Basketball Cornell 7:00 PM Live Stats Men's Soccer vs Patriot League Semifinals TBA Cross Country at NCAA Mid-Atlantic Championships 10:45 AM Saturday, Nov 11 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Volleyball at Holy Cross 4:00 PM Crew vs Frostbite Regatta All Day Sunday, Nov 12 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer vs Patriot League Championship Game TBA Crew vs Bill Braxton Regatta All Day Tuesday, Nov 14 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at Fairfield 7:00 PM Women's Basketball George Mason 7:00 PM Live Stats Wednesday, Nov 15 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Swimming & Diving VMI 5:00 PM Thursday, Nov 16 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Basketball Georgetown 7:00 PM Live Stats Friday, Nov 17 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball Towson 7:00 PM Live Stats Saturday, Nov 18 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Swimming & Diving Howard 1:00 PM Sunday, Nov 19 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Basketball at Marquette 3:00 PM Tuesday, Nov 21 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball Goucher 7:00 PM Live Stats Women's Basketball at Norfolk State 11:00 AM Saturday, Nov 25 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Basketball at William & Mary 2:00 PM Sunday, Nov 26 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Basketball at UMass-Lowell 2:00 PM Friday, Dec 1 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Swimming & Diving vs. Iona, Marist, Mount St. Marys, and St. Peters 5:00 PM
Tuesday, Oct 17 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Volleyball American L, 3-0 Live Stats | Wednesday, Oct 18 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Soccer American L, 2-1 Live Stats | Friday, Oct 20 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Swimming & Diving Boston College Men: L, 183-115; Women: W, 165-135 | Live Results Saturday, Oct 21 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Soccer Holy Cross W, 3-0 Live Stats | Women's Soccer Lehigh L, 2-0 | Live Stats Swimming & Diving Lafayette Men: W, 154-144; Women: W, 211-88 | Women's Volleyball Navy L, 3-0 Live Stats | Crew Head of the Charles Regatta All Day | Regatta Information