Loyola Strength & Conditioning
A body can only perform as long as it's getting a ready supply of fuel. An athlete's caloric intake is under high demand throughout the training process. They need adequate calories from all major food groups and minerals that will keep them at peak performance. This is the most underestimated and widely ignored aspect of training. At the collegiate level, this needs to be monitored to ensure the athlete is consuming the right amounts of calories to optimize training and competition, as well as preventing malnutrition and maintain their weight during the season.
Performance Nutrition Principles:
Athletes' nutritional needs vary on a daily basis with training intensity and duration. Caloric intake and carbohydrate, protein and fat consumption should be adjusted relative to activity levels. Athletes should always include a wide variety of foods in their diets and choose foods that have a high nutrient density.
Dehydration is a common cause of fatigue and sub-par performance. The body requires a constant and abundant supply of water to regulate temperature, remove waste products and metabolize food for energy. Adequate hydration before, during and after exercise is essential.
Athletes should strive to keep blood sugar and insulin levels stable throughout the day. This promotes the effective use of food as fuel and provides a favorable environment for muscle growth. Timing food and fluid intake throughout the day, but especially prior to, during, and post exercise is essential for sustaining a high level of performance.
How the staff assist the student athletes:
- Body weight and body composition percentage taken five times within the year (Sept, Nov, Jan March, May)
- Educate players and coaching staff on:
- Hydration pre, post, and during practice
- Timing of meals
- Change in weight
- Eating right on and off campus
- Eating for the time of year
- Work with players on individual meal plans based on:
- Test results
- Time of year
- Personal goals
- Work with coaching staff to arrange pre/post game meals when team is traveling to assure the most beneficial options are considered.
- You should not leave a meal feeling hungry, if you do then re-evaluate your portion size
- Do not leave a meal feeling “over full” because this will leave you uncomfortable and will make it difficult for your body to digest the meal as well.
- Eat small meals and snacks every 2 to 3 hours throughout the day. Timing should be planned around practice/game times.
- Eat a meal 3-4 hours before a game this will keep you from getting hungry and keep your blood sugar from getting low
- Have a small snack 20-30 minutes prior to exercise and/or games.
- Start your day early have breakfast by 9 am. This will allow you to take in more energy early in the day.
- Plan ahead and be prepared by having ample supply of food available at all times.
- Be consistent with your meal and snack schedule this will allow your body to digest better and will also regulate your blood sugar.
- Balance your food intake to match your physical activity level for that particular day and/or weekend.
- Make sure you have a variety of foods everyday rather than having the same food for every meal. This will keep you interested and also will prevent you from getting off schedule.
- Understand that before any type of activity (practice or game) it is not a good time to try new foods that your body may not be able to digest properly.
- Avoid eating processed foods, food cooked in heavy oils and fats, food that includes high levels of sugar, fat or starch.
- Make sure in every meal you have more than one food group represented to get a variety of nutrients throughout the day.
- Vegetables:3-5 servings (1/2 cup)
- Fruit: 2-4 servings (1 full piece)
- Dairy: 2-4 servings (1 cup)
- Protein: 2-3 servings (variety of options)
- Carbohydrates:6-10serving (1 piece)
- If you do not like to eat prior to activity substitute in liquid carbohydrates, such as a smoothie or meal replacement drink.
- Do not drink a lot of liquids at meals as it will fill you up faster and displace whole foods.
- Do not skip a meal because you do not want to get up early enough to eat. This will directly reflect your performance and energy for the remainder of the day.
- Always consult with a professional prior to taking any type of supplement.
- Eating healthy does not mean you should only eat salad and vegetables it mean you need to eat with common sense and with a open mind
- Gatorade (after activity)
- Unsweetened ice tea
- 2% or fat free milk
- Any 100% fruit juices (best-cranberry)
- Nutrition is just one component to healthy living.
- Be consistent with your exercise routine
- Sleeping habits
- Average 6-8 hours per night
Lanciano Named Patriot League Women's Tennis...
Loyola University Maryland's Amanda Lanciano was named the Corvias Patriot League Women's Tennis ...
Coan And Gialamas Named To Team USA For World...
Loyola University Maryland swimmers McKenzie Coan and Alyssa Gialamas have been named to the 25-m...
Oshrine Tied For Third After Two Rounds Of...
Loyola University Maryland sophomore Matt Oshrine shot an even 144 through the first two rounds...
Crews Compete For Second-Straight Day At...
In the second-straight day of competition, the Loyola University Maryland men's and women's crew ...
Lehigh Tops Men's Tennis In First-Ever Match At...
Loyola University Maryland men's tennis played the first-ever match at the soon-to-be dedicated...
Women's Lacrosse Picks Up Sixth-Straight Win At...
The No. 16 Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team extended its win streak to six-straig...
Three Crews Finish Among Top Three At Murphy...
In the first of two-straight race days this weekend, the Loyola University Maryland men's and...
Turnovers Plague Men's Lacrosse In Loss To Colgate
Loyola University Maryland committed 15 turnovers, and Colgate University scored six of its goals...
Monday, Mar 30 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Tennis Towson - Women L, 7-0 McClure Tennis Center Directions
Men's Golf vs Seahawk Intercollegiate 7th of 14 Tuesday, Mar 31 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Tennis George Mason - Women 3:30 PM McClure Tennis Center Directions
Wednesday, Apr 1 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Tennis Navy - Men 3:30 PM McClure Tennis Center Directions
Women's Lacrosse at Towson 7:00 PM Friday, Apr 3 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at Colonial Relays All Day Saturday, Apr 4 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Lacrosse Colgate 12:00 PM Video Men's Lacrosse Navy 2:30 PM Video Women's Track at Colonial Relays All Day Sunday, Apr 5 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at Colonial Relays All Day Monday, Apr 6 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Tennis Rider 2:00 PM McClure Tennis Center Directions
Wednesday, Apr 8 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Tennis at Mount St Marys 3:30 PM Women's Lacrosse at American 4:00 PM Men's Lacrosse at Maryland 8:00 PM Thursday, Apr 9 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer Towson 7:00 PM Tennis Navy - Women 3:00 PM McClure Tennis Center Directions
Friday, Apr 10 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Liberty Spring Invitational All Day Saturday, Apr 11 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Lacrosse at Boston University 1:00 PM Women's Lacrosse Boston University 1:00 PM Video Crew vs Knecht Cup All Day Women's Track Loyola/Hopkins Invitational All Day Men's Golf vs Liberty Spring Invitational All Day Sunday, Apr 12 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer Penn State 2:00 PM Friday, Apr 17 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Soccer Howard 5:00 PM Men's Soccer Alumni Game 7:00 PM Men's Lacrosse at Bucknell 7:00 PM Saturday, Apr 18 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer Headers for Hope Tournament All Day Women's Lacrosse at Navy 12:00 PM Crew vs Kerr Cup All Day Women's Track at Morgan State Invitational All Day Sunday, Apr 19 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Soccer Alumnae Day 11:00 AM Tuesday, Apr 21 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Lacrosse vs Patriot League Quarterfinals TBA Women's Lacrosse vs Patriot League Quarterfinals TBA Thursday, Apr 23 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Women's Track at The Penn Relays All Day Friday, Apr 24 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Lacrosse vs Patriot League Semifinals TBA Saturday, Apr 25 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Patriot League Championships All Day Sunday, Apr 26 SPORT EVENT TIME COVERAGE Men's Golf vs Patriot League Championships All Day
Monday, Mar 23 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Golf Middleburg Bank Intercollegiate -- Tuesday, Mar 24 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Golf Middleburg Bank Intercollegiate 2nd (t1) of 30 Wednesday, Mar 25 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Tennis Towson - Women Postponed McClure Tennis Center Directions
Women's Lacrosse Georgetown W, 12-8 Video Thursday, Mar 26 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Tennis La Salle Men: W, 5-2; Women: W, 6-1 Saturday, Mar 28 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Men's Soccer La Salle 11:00 AM Women's Lacrosse Holy Cross W, 13-8 Live Stats | Video
Tennis Maryland Eastern Shore Cancelled Men's Lacrosse Colgate L, 11-4 Tennis Colgate Men: L, 5-2; Women, W, 7-0 Greenspring Racquet Club Directions
Crew Murphy Cup All Day Women's Track Maryland Invitational All Day Sunday, Mar 29 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Women's Soccer Villanova 2:00 PM Tennis Lehigh - Men L, 7-0 McClure Tennis Center Directions
Crew Occoquan Sprints All Day Men's Golf Seahawk Intercollegiate -- Monday, Mar 30 SPORT EVENT RESULT COVERAGE Tennis Towson - Women L, 7-0 McClure Tennis Center Directions
Men's Golf Seahawk Intercollegiate 7th of 14