Volleyball Hosts Manhattan Wednesday Before Weekend Trip
Oct. 18, 2011
|Date||Wednesday, October 19, 2011|
|Location||Baltimore, Md. | Reitz Arena|
|Online Media||Live Stats|
|Match Notes||Weekly Notes|
|Opponent||Marist Red Foxes|
|Date||Saturday, October 22, 2011|
|Time||5 p.m. <- Note Time Change|
|Location||Poughkeepsie, N.Y. | McCann Arena|
|Match Notes||Weekly Notes|
|Date||Sunday, October 23, 2011|
|Location||Loudonville, N.Y. | Alumni Recreation Center|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video|
|Match Notes||Weekly Notes|
This Week’s Action
- Loyola University Maryland’s volleyball team returns to Retiz Arena for the first time since September 28 to host a rare midweek Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference match on Wednesday night at 7 o’clock against Manhattan.
- The Greyhounds then head back on the MAAC road, for their fourth-straight weekend of road league matches, on Saturday and Sunday at Marist and Siena.
Time Change On Saturday
- Saturday’s game at Marist has been changed to a 5 o’clock start.
Burns Receives AVCA Scholarship
- Loyola Assistant Coach Cynammon Burns was named one of 12 recipeints nationally of the American Volleyball Coaches Association Minority Coaches Scholarship. The scholarship will be used for professional development workshops at the upcoming AVCA Convention. Burns is in her first year at Loyola after a standout career as a libero at American University.
Jaspers, Red Foxes & Saints
- Manhattan brings a 12-9 overall record to Reitz Arena, a 5-4 mark in MAAC action. Malia McGuinness leads the Jaspers with a 3.46 kills per game average, while LaKell Havens is hitting .275 and posting 1.08 blocks per set. Mariana Furquim earned MAAC Offensive Player of the Week honors on Monday after averaging 4.0 kills and 3.33 digs last weekend.
- Marist defeated Loyola in five at Reitz Arena on September 18 in the second MAAC match of the season and is now 8-11, 5-4 in the conference. Grace Hill tops the Red Foxes with a 3.29 kills per game average, and Joanna Foss is averaging 3.04.
- Loyola defeated Siena in five the first time the teams met on September 17, marking the first time since 2007 the Greyhounds had opened MAAC play with a victory. The Saints are now 6-12 overall, 4-6 in the league, heading into this weekend’s slate of matches. Taylor Akana is tops in the conference with 4.11 kills per set, while Lesli Akeo is posting 5.03 digs per set.
- Loyola posted a season-high 76 digs in its victory over Rider despite the fact the match was over in three sets. The Greyhounds’ previous high of 73 came in a five-set affair with Siena.
- The Broncs had 144 attack attempts in the match, but they hit just .153 thanks to Loyola’s solid defense.
- Janet Pressler posted 23 digs, while Tina Catanach added 13, and Casey O’Hanlon had 10.
Leading As Libero
- Janet Pressler continued her solid play as the team’s libero, totaling 23 digs against Rider. She has posted 10 or more digs in 12 of 14 matches that she has served as the libero (beginning August 27 against Tennessee State), and the only two matches she did not reach double-figures, she posted nine in three-set contests.
- She has 235 digs this season, an average of 3.85, and she has led the squad in digs in all but two of the matches she has served as libero. During MAAC play, Pressler has averaged 4.43 digs per set, a mark that ranks fourth in the league.
- Pressler was name the MAAC Defensive Player of the Week last Monday for her efforts in the win over Rider.
Distributing The Sets
- Lauren Andersen posted 38 assists in the win at Rider, a three-set season-high for the freshman. Six different Loyola hitters had kills, and the Greyhounds hit .204 as a team.
- Andersen has averaged 9.29 assists per set in MAAC play, up from her season-long average of 8.76 per set.
- Loyola has not won a match when it has a lower attack percentage this season, going 0-16 in those matches. Conversely, the Greyhounds are 6-0 when they hit for a higher clip than their opponents. The Greyhounds are also 0-15 when they post fewer kills.
71 Student-Athletes Named To Fall Patriot...
Loyola University Maryland placed 71 student-athletes on their respective sports' Patriot League ...
Volleyball Closes 2015 Season With Loss To...
Molly Cichosz and Haley Puddy combined for 21 kills, but the U.S. Naval Academy defeated Loyola...
Volleyball Drops Three-Set Match At American...
The Loyola University Maryland volleyball team dropped a three-set match at American Friday night.
Volleyball Wraps Up Season With Weekend Matches
Loyola University Maryland volleyball wraps up its 2015 season this weekend with a pair of...
Colgate Tops Greyhounds Volleyball Sunday...
Colgate University had 11 service aces and accrued just six hitting errors Sunday afternoon,...
Early Lead Fades As Bucknell Beats Volleyball
Loyola University Maryland jumped out to an early first-set lead, but Bucknell University closed ...
Bucknell, Colgate Visit Reitz Arena For Volleyball
Loyola University Maryland volleyball will host Bucknell University and Colgate University in...
Holy Cross Rallies To Beat Volleyball
Loyola University Maryland volleyball had set-point in two sets, and late leads in all three,...
Friday, Aug 26 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE The Citadel Charleston, S.C. 1:00 PM Saturday, Aug 27 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Gardner-Webb Charleston, S.C. 9:00 AM Morehead State Charleston, S.C. 2:30 PM Friday, Sept 2 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Delaware State Catonsville, Md. 12:30 PM UMBC Catonsville, Md. 7:00 PM Saturday, Sept 3 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Akron Catonsville, Md. 1:00 PM