Western New York Trip Next For Volleyball
Sept. 19, 2012
|Opponent||Canisius Golden Griffins|
|Date||Saturday, September 22, 2012|
|Online Media||Live Stats|
|Location||Buffalo, N.Y. | Koessler Athletic Center|
|Opponent||Niagara Purple Eagles|
|Date||Sunday, September 23, 2012|
|Location||Niagara University, N.Y. | Gallagher Center|
- Loyola University Maryland will play its first Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference weekend of the 2012 season when it travels to Western New York for matches at Canisius College and Niagara University.
- The Greyhounds, who opened MAAC action with a 3-2 win over Rider University on Friday, September 7, will play at Canisius on Saturday, September 22, before taking on Niagara on Sunday, September 23. Both matches are slated for 2 o’clock starts.
A Look At The Competition
- Canisius is one of three teams, joining Fairfield University and Iona College, atop the MAAC standings at 2-0, a half-game ahead of Loyola. The Golden Griffins, who are 5-7 overall this season, defeated Siena College and Marist College in a pair of four-set matches. Loyola and Canisius have one common opponent this season, Charleston Southern University. The Greyhounds defeated the Buccaneers in four, while Canisius fell in five.
- Niagara checks in at 1-1 in the league, 4-7 overall, after splitting two matches over the weekend at Siena (loss) and Marist (win). The Purple Eagles and Loyola have both played Bucknell University in tournament action this year; Niagara came out with a three-set win, while the Greyhounds lost in four.
- Loyola improved to 8-4 in the young 2012 season last Wednesday with its only match of the week, a three-set triumph over visiting Coppin State University.
- In just three sets Faye Lukas pounded out 20 kills, hitting .310 from the outside in the process, and Jac Bullock posted 11 kills against just one error. Lauren Andersen distributed 39 assists, and Kara Schiffer had 21 digs and zero receiving errors.
Keep Swinging Away
- Faye Lukas has become the Greyhounds’ primary hitter this season and has 458 swings through 12 matches. From the outside, she has put away an average of 3.89 kills per set (175 total) and is hitting at a .201 clip. She leads the MAAC In kills per set.
- Her numbers are up considerably from her sophomore season in 2011 when she had 247 kills (2.25 per set) and a .130 hitting percentage.
- Jac Bullock, meanwhile, is third in the MAAC in hitting percentage (.323) and 10th in kills per set (3.0).
- As a team, Loyola is hitting .204 this season, the second best percentage in the MAAC after finishing last year next-to-last at .145.
Digs & Aces
- A week after posting a career-high 30 digs, Kara Schiffer pulled up 20 in just three sets against Coppin State. Through 12 matches, all as the team’s libero, Schiffer has averaged 4.31 digs per set. Schiffer also leads the team with 17 aces, a total that is tied for second most in the conference.
Volleyball Closes 2015 Season With Loss To...
Molly Cichosz and Haley Puddy combined for 21 kills, but the U.S. Naval Academy defeated Loyola...
Volleyball Drops Three-Set Match At American...
The Loyola University Maryland volleyball team dropped a three-set match at American Friday night.
Volleyball Wraps Up Season With Weekend Matches
Loyola University Maryland volleyball wraps up its 2015 season this weekend with a pair of...
Colgate Tops Greyhounds Volleyball Sunday...
Colgate University had 11 service aces and accrued just six hitting errors Sunday afternoon,...
Early Lead Fades As Bucknell Beats Volleyball
Loyola University Maryland jumped out to an early first-set lead, but Bucknell University closed ...
Bucknell, Colgate Visit Reitz Arena For Volleyball
Loyola University Maryland volleyball will host Bucknell University and Colgate University in...
Holy Cross Rallies To Beat Volleyball
Loyola University Maryland volleyball had set-point in two sets, and late leads in all three,...
Strong Hitting Leads Army West Point Over...
The U.S. Military Academy posted 46 kills and hit .424 en route to a three-set win over Loyola...
There are no upcoming events.