Women's Soccer Heads To Duke For Its Eighth NCAA Appearance
Nov. 7, 2012
|Date||Saturday, Nov. 10, 2012|
|Location||Durham, N.C. | Koskinen Stadium|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video|
• Loyola finished the regular-season 10-5-4, and 4-3-3 in the non-conference schedule.
• The 3rd seed Greyhounds are 6-2-1 in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference play.
• Loyola defeated the number one seed Marist College Red Foxes with 2-1 victory in the MAAC Finals.
• Gigi Mangione was named to the CollegeSoccer360.com weekly honor roll.
The Greyhounds and the MAAC Championships
• Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer won their tenth MAAC title, defeating the number one seed Marist College Red Foxes Sunday, Nov. 4, 2012.
• The Greyhounds beat the Red Foxes 2-1 in the title game, moving the all-time series record to 13-5-4.
• Loyola beat Marist with a 2-0 victory in the 2007 finals, but fell to the Red Foxes in 2011 with a 1-0 shutout.
• The Greyhounds are 10-5-3 in MAAC title games, and lead the conference with ten championship titles.
• Senior Nichole Schiro notched her 15th goal of the season, sending the Greyhounds to the NCAA tournament. The forward led the conference in goals and points, and earned her third Offensive Player of the Year award. The Okemos, Mich. native is the first MAAC player to earn the same award three years in a row.
• Gigi Mangione scored the first Loyola goal, after the 22nd minute, on a penalty kick against Marist goalkeeper Andrea Wicks.
• The Greyhounds defeated the Fairfield University Stags in the 2012 MAAC Semifinals Friday, Nov. 2.
• Senior Kelsey Rene scored the lone goal against the Stags. The defender headed a free kick into the top right corner of the box sending the Greyhounds to the 2012 MAAC finals.
2012 All-MAAC Tournament Team
• Following the title win, four Greyhounds were named to the All-MAAC tournament team. Nichole Schiro, Jenny Thornton, Didi Haracic, and Gigi Mangione earned team honors.
• The 2012 most valuable player went to senior Gigi Mangione, who tabbed the second mvp honor of her career. The midfielder scored the first goal for the Greyhounds against Marist in the final, and assisted in the second.
Scouting the Blue Devils
• Duke comes into the weekend 12-5-2 overall.
• The number three seed Blue Devils dropped out of the ACC tournament loosing to Wake Forest in overtime. Duke was knocked out of the conference tournament for the second straight year by Demon Deacons.
• In 2011, the Blue Devils fell to Stanford in the College Cup Championship game.
• This will be Duke’s tenth straight year in the NCAA tournament.
• The Blue Devil’s have been a top scoring team this season averaging 2.74 goals a game, which ranks the women fifth in the nation.
• Cassie Pecht was named the ACC Freshman of the Year. The forward/midfielder ranks fifth in the nation with 11 assists in her first season.
• The winner of Saturday's game will advance to the second round, and take on the winner of Miami (OH) at Tennessee.
Four Greyhounds Named To MAAC 35th Anniversary ...
Four former Loyola University Maryland men's and women's soccer players were included on the...
Women In Sports Day Set For February 21
Loyola University Maryland will host a celebration of women and their contributions to, and...
Hayes Named To All-ECAC First Team
Loyola University Maryland senior Rosy Hayes was named to the Eastern College Athletic Conference...
Hayes Named To All-Mid-Atlantic Region Second Team
Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer senior Rosy Hayes was named to the 2015 NCAA...
BU Edges Women's Soccer, 2-1, In Patriot League...
The Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer team saw its season come to a close Friday,...
Women's Soccer Faces BU In Patriot League...
The fourth-seeded Loyola University Maryland women's soccer team will make its first appearance...
Folan, Hayes Named To Women's Soccer Academic...
A pair of Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer captains – graduate student...
Women's Soccer Advances To Patriot League...
The fourth-seeded Loyola University Maryland women's soccer team advanced to the semifinals of...
There are no upcoming events.