Women's Soccer Meets American For A Mid-Week Matchup
Oct. 22, 2013
|Date||Wednesday, October 23, 2013|
|Location||Baltimore, Md. | Ridley Athletic Complex|
|Online Media||Live Stats |Free Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
• Loyola University Maryland has made eight appearances in the NCAA College Cup, including last season as the Greyhounds traveled to Durham, N.C. to take on the Duke Blue Devils in the first round.
• The 2013 season marks Loyola’s inaugural season as a member of the Patriot League.
• Saturday, Sept. 21 was one for the record books. Loyola women’s soccer was the first program in Greyhound history to compete in a conference game as a member of the Patriot League. Holy Cross escaped Ridley Athletic Complex with a 1-0 victory, marking the first victory between the two teams.
Loyola Women’s Soccer
• The Greyhounds are 1-10-3 after a one-goal loss to Boston University on Saturday, Oct. 19.
• Nine of Loyola’s 14 games have been decided by one goal, including eight of its 10 losses.
• Sophomore Charlotte Miller leads the offense with seven points and three goals, while freshman Nicole Wahlig has four points and two goals.
• In goal, senior Didi Haracic ranks fourth in the Patriot League in saves, recording 68 stops this season.
Last Time Out
• Loyola fell to 1-10-3, dropping a 1-0 contest against fellow Patriot League newcomer Boston University, on Saturday, Oct. 19.
• Freshman Maddie Boccio recorded both shot attempts for the Greyhounds, including one on goal.
• The back four of Kelly Santangelo, Riley Piechnick, Nicole Wahlig and Kelsey Targarona held the No. 3 scoring offense in the League scoreless for 81 minutes. The defense also held the No. 2 goal-scorer, Madison Clemens, scoreless.
Scouting the Eagles
• American improved to 6-8-1 and 4-1-1 in the Patriot League on Saturday, Oct. 19, as the Eagles shutout the Lehigh Mountain Hawks, 1-0, in their sixth conference match of the season.
• Following Saturday’s matchup junior Kirsten Eriksen was named the BRINE Patriot League Defensive Player of the Week.
• Lindsay Muri leads the Eagles with 13 points and six goals. Earlier this season, the junior forward scored goals in three consecutive games against Richmond, Holy Cross and Bucknell. She ranks fourth in the league in shots per game (2.4), and is currently tied for second in points. Muri is second among the Patriot League in goals recorded, just behind Morgan Dankanich of Navy.
• In goal, Charlene Belanger has played 1,043 minutes, averaging a 0.69 goals against average and .899 save percentage. Belanger’s save percentage is good enough to lead the league, while her 71 saves ties her for second.
• American has recorded seven shutouts this season, including five throughout Patriot League play.
Series with American University
• Loyola leads the series 6-2-2, with the latest victory being a 2-1 decision in Washington on Sept. 9, 2012.
• Recent alumna Nichole Schiro became Loyola’s all-time career points leader in the game, scoring in the 25th minute of the contest. Charlotte Miller sent a ball into the box that was tipped home by Schiro to give Loyola a 1-0 lead. The goal gave Schiro 91 career points, passing Carolyn Kennington who held the title at 89 points since 2006.
• The Greyhounds extended their lead to 2-0 later in the first half, as Tessa McClenahan finished a shot from 15-yards out off a corner kick by Gigi Mangione.
• American responded with its lone goal, scoring in the 37th minute off a corner kick to cut the Loyola lead to 2-1.
• The victory was the fifth-straight for Loyola over American.
• Loyola travels to the United States Naval Academy for its final road contest of the season. The Greyhounds will take on the Midshipmen, Friday, Oct. 27 at 1 p.m.
Cabrera Earns First Patriot League Offensive...
Loyola University Maryland sophomore Julianna Cabrera has been named the Patriot League Offensive...
Lung, Wahlig Score To Lead Women's Soccer To 2-...
Seniors Emily Lung and Nicole Wahlig netted a pair of second-half goals to lead the Loyola...
Loyola Hosts UMBC In Home Opener
The Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer team hosts in-state rival UMBC at Ridley...
Cabrera Scores Twice As Women's Soccer Earns 3-...
The Loyola University Maryland women's soccer team scored a pair of goals in the first 11 minutes...
Women's Soccer Opens 2016 Season Friday At...
The Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer team kicks off the 2016 season with an away...
Wahlig Named To Preseason All-Patriot League...
Senior defender Nicole Wahlig has been named to the 2016 Preseason All-Patriot League Team, while...
Ruhl Joins Women's Soccer Staff As A Volunteer ...
Loyola University Maryland head women’s soccer coach Naomi Meiburger has announced the...
Women's Soccer Announces 2016 Schedule
The Loyola University Maryland women's soccer team has announced its 16-game schedule for the...
Friday, Sept 2 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Cornell Ridley Athletic Complex 6:00 PM Video Sunday, Sept 4 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Delaware Newark, Del. 7:00 PM Friday, Sept 9 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Monmouth (N.J.) West Long Branch, N.J. 7:00 PM Video
Sunday, Sept 11 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Seton Hall South Orange, N.J. 1:00 PM Saturday, Sept 17 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Lafayette Easton, Pa. 2:00 PM Video
Saturday, Sept 24 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Navy Ridley Athletic Complex 7:00 PM Video