Greyhounds Finish Road Schedule At Fairfield, Iona
Oct. 18, 2011
|Date||Friday, October 21, 2011|
|Location||Fairfield, Conn. | Lessing Field|
|Game Notes||Fairfield/Iona Game Notes|
|Date||Sunday, October 23, 2011|
|Location||New Rochelle, N.Y. | Mazzella Field|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video|
|Game Notes||Fairfield/Iona Game Notes|
- The Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer team plays its final road matches of the regular season as the Greyhounds travel to take on Fairfield on Friday night at 7 p.m. and Iona Sunday afternoon at 12 p.m.
- The Greyhounds split a pair of home contests last weekend, defeating Siena ,2-1, and dropping an overtime contest to Marist, 1-0.
- Loyola won its first road contest of the season on its last road trip, defeating Niagara, 3-2, in Niagara University, N.Y.
- Loyola stands fourth in the MAAC standings entering play this weekend with 9 points. The top-four teams qualify for the MAAC Championship to be hosted by Loyola Nov. 4-6.
- Junior forward Nichole Schiro enters the weekend tied for first in the MAAC in goals with five and ranked second in points with 12. She has 31 career goals, three away from setting the all-time program record in Loyola history.
Scouting the Stags
- The Stags enter the weekend 4-6-4 overall and 2-2-1 in the MAAC.
- Fairfield was picked to finish third in the MAAC and boast two Preseason All-MAAC selections in goalkeeper Kelly Boudreau and defender Carly Beyar.
- Behind Boudreau, the Stags have proven to be the most difficult team in the MAAC to score against in conference play, surrendering just three goals in five games for a league-best, 0.57 goals against average.
- Boudreau leads the league with a 0.58 GAA and has recorded two shutouts.
Scouting the Gaels
- The Gaels enter the weekend 4-9-2 overal and 3-2-0 in the MAAC.
- Iona was picked to finish ninth in the MAAC in the Preseason Coaches Poll.
- The squad lost its first conference game to Marist, 4-1, but since has won three of four and has only allowed more than one goal once in a game.
- Iona has a pair of overtime victories, beating Siena, 2-1, and Manhattan, 2-1.
- The Gaels are playing their first homes games since Oct. 2 when they host Rider and Loyola this weekend. Iona is 2-4-1 at home this season.
Series with Fairfield
- This will be the 31st meeting between the Greyhounds and Stags, with Loyola holding a 15-8-7 advantage in the all-time series.
- The Greyhounds are 3-0-1 in the last four games in Fairfield and have won the last two matchups overall with the Stags.
- Loyola is unbeaten in its last nine regular-season meetings, notching a 7-0-2 record. The Stags last beat the Greyhounds in the semifinals of the MAAC Championship on Nov. 9, 2008. Fairfield’s last regular-season victory over Loyola was on Oct. 19, 2001.
Series with Iona
- Loyola is 19-1-2 all-time against Iona.
- The only win in the series for the Gaels came in the first-ever meeting between the two programs on Oct. 18, 1992, when Iona won, 3-2 in Baltimore.
- Loyola has won 19 straight over the Gaels and is unbeaten in the last 21 meetings with the two programs.
- The Greyhounds have outscored the Gaels 12-0 in the last three meetings. Iona last scored against Loyola on Nov. 4, 2007.
Return of the MAAC
- Loyola owns a 132-16-14 record all-time against MAAC opponents.
- The Greyhounds have the most MAAC Championship titles (9) and most MAAC Tournament appearances (16) of any team in the conference.
Leading the Way
- Junior forward Nichole Schiro has notched points in four of Loyola’s first five MAAC contests.
- Schiro scored goals in the first three MAAC matches and had two assists in Loyola’s 2-1 win over Siena.
- Schiro notched her sixth and seventh career multi-goal games, scoring twice (including the game-winner) against Rider, and scoring two more times in a loss to Canisius.
- The Okemos, Mich., native is tied for the league lead with five goals and ranks second with 12 points.
Climbing the Charts
- Nichole Schiro enters the weekend with 31 goals and 73 points for her career.
- She became just the third player in Loyola history to eclipse the 30-goal mark and is currently tied for second on the Loyola career list, just two behind Ali Andrzejewski for the program record.
- The 73 points ranks third on the all-time career chart, 16 points behind program leader Carolyn Kennington.
- Schiro scored 15 goals in 2010, which tied for second on the Greyhounds’ single-season chart with Ali Andrzejewski’s 2005 total. Andrzejewski holds the school record with 18 in 2004. Schiro’s 31 points last year are third behind Andrzejewski’s 43 and 32 from 2004 and 2005.
- Greyhound junior Lauren Norcia has provided an offensive spark for the Greyhounds this season and ranks first on the team with six assists. She had three career points entering this season.
- Norcia also is second with 10 points, notching two goals this year. The Pepper Pike, Ohio, native scored her first career game-winning goal in a, 2-1, win over Siena on Oct. 14.
- She had a career game against Saint Louis on Sept. 4, scoring her first career goal and adding two assists in Loyola’s 4-2 win.
- The Greyhounds have had six players score their first career goals this season: Nicky Alagna, Taylor Bryant, Katelyn McFadden, Lauren Norcia, Kelsey Rene and Chantal Celestin.
- Keeper Didi Haracic had her first career shutout in a, 1-0, win over American.
- Celestin, Kelly Santangelo, Amanda Reverberi, Joie McLaughlin and Jenny Thornton also have notched their first career assists this season.
- The Greyhounds have come-from-behind to win in two of their last three matches.
- Loyola trailed, 1-0, against Niagara before tallying three times to go on to a, 3-2, victory.
- The Greyhounds also were down, 1-0, against Siena before scoring two goals late in the first half to go on to the, 2-1, win.
- The Greyhounds close out the season by hosting Manhattan on Friday night at 7 p.m. and Saint Peter’s Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m.
Trio Scores To Lead Women's Soccer To 3-2 Win...
The Loyola women’s soccer team put forth a team effort to claim it’s first win...
Midweek Matchup Set For Women's Soccer At Monmouth
The Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer team prepares to travel to West Long Branch, ...
Women's Soccer Ties With Lafayette In Patriot...
Freshman Casey McKenzie's first career goal matched Lafayette early, resulting in a draw in the...
Women's Soccer Set To Open Patriot League...
The Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer team prepares to open it’s fourth...
Loyola-Monmouth Women's Soccer Rescheduled...
Loyola University Maryland's women's soccer game at Monmouth University has been rescheduled...
First-Half Goal Enough For Blue Hens As...
Nikki Adams curled a 22-yard shot just inside the upper left corner of the goal, giving the...
Women's Soccer Unable To Overcome Early Goal,...
The Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer team dropped its first match of the season...
Loyola-Cornell Women Will Be First College...
Friday's women's soccer game between Loyola University Maryland and Cornell University will be...
Wednesday, Sept 28 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE American Washington, D.C. 4:00 PM Live Stats Saturday, Oct 1 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Boston University Ridley Athletic Complex 2:30 PM Video Saturday, Oct 8 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Lehigh Ridley Athletic Complex 7:00 PM Video Saturday, Oct 15 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Army West Point West Point, N.Y. 7:00 PM Live Stats Wednesday, Oct 19 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Bucknell Ridley Athletic Complex 7:00 PM Video Saturday, Oct 22 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Colgate Ridley Athletic Complex 5:00 PM Video