Patriot League Play Opens Saturday At Colgate For Women's Soccer
|Date||Saturday, September 16, 2017|
|Location||Hamilton, N.Y. | Beyer-Small Stadium|
|Watch||Patriot League Network|
|Live Stats||Click Here|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
Quick Hits About The ’Hounds
- Loyola University Maryland opens its fifth season of competition in the Patriot League on Saturday, September 16, when it travels to Hamilton, New York, to face Colgate University.
- The contest against the Raiders is slated for a 1 p.m. start and will air live on the Patriot League Network..
- Saturday’s game against Colgate is the fifth of six-straight Loyola will play on the road.
- Loyola is tied for 62nd in NCAA Division I in corner kicks per game, and its total corner kicks (40) are tied for 58th..
- Julianna Cabrera is tied for the Patriot League lead in assists this season with three total, matching Navy’s Regan McQuain and Gabrielle Martone of Lafayette.
- Cabrerea has had a foot in each Loyola goal this season, assisting on three and scoring another.
- Mary Theresa Corcoran is tied for fifth in the conference in overall goals scored (two), and her two game-winning goals are good for a tie for third. Her winners are tied for 24th nationally.
- The 2017 season will be the Greyhounds’ fifth as members of the Patriot League. Loyola joined the conference prior to the 2013-2014 academic year.
- This season will be the Greyhounds’ eighth with Ridley Athletic Complex as their home. Loyola began playing soccer at the stadium in 2010 and has a 30-22-11 record there.
Last Time Out
- Julianna Cabrera scored her first goal of the 2017 season 31-plus mintues into Friday night’s contest for Loyola, but St. John’s rallied with two second-half goals, and the Red Storm earned a 2-1 non-conference victory in Queens, N.Y.
- Cabrera dribbled herself free of traffic in the 32nd minute and ripped a shot from the top of the box that beat Red Storm goalkeeper Jordan Kamp low to put the Greyhounds in front, 1-0.
- The teams entered halftime with Loyola in front by the same margin, but its Big East Conference host quickly equalized in the second half. Samie Scaffidi made a move on the outside edge of the box and fired a shot into the top-right corner of the goal at 50:13, evening the score.
- Mariela Jacome and Allie Moar set up a Mikhala Martinov finish in front at 85:46, putting St. John’s in front, 2-1.
- Cabrera drove a shot at Kamp two minutes later that the Red Storm keeper was able to divert from the goal, but Loyola earned a corner kick attempt in the 88th minute.
- Colgate took a 3-1-1 lead in the all-time series between the programs with a 2-1 victory on October 22, 2016, in Baltimore.
- Jourdan Ziff put the Greyhounds on the board in the 12th minute of the game with an unassisted goal, and the Greyhounds held the Raiders without a goal for more than 70 minutes of play.
- Abby Sotomayor, however, tallied a goal from inside the six in the 72nd minute to equalize for Colgate, and the Raiders tallied the eventual game-winner on a Sophi Lederer penalty kick in the 78th minute.
- Colgate won the first two meetings between the team sin 2013 and 2014, but Loyola earned a regular-season victory in the series in 2015. The teams then played to a scoreless draw in the 2015 Patriot League Quarterfinals. Loyola, however, advanced to the semifinals on penalty kicks.
About The Red Storm
- Colgate enters Patriot League play with a 3-4-0 record and winners of three of its last four matches. The Raiders started the season with losses to LSU, New Hampshire and Boston College, but they rebounded to beat UMass-Lowell before falling at Mississippi State. Last week, however, Colgate scored a 1-0 win at Syracuse and a 2-1 victory at Albany.
- Abby Sotomayor and Mara Cosentino are tied for the team-lead in points (4) and goals (2), while Emily Crichlow is third in points with a goal and an assist.
- Kelly Chiavaro and Sophia Boggs have split time in goal for the Raiders with Colgate playing to a team goals-against average of 2.43 and a .630 saves percentage.
Having A Foot In Everything
- Julianna Cabrera has been involved in all four Loyola goals this season, assisting on three via the distribution end of corner kicks and scoring her first goal of the season in the first half at St. John’s.
- Cabrera, who is the Greyhounds’ primary player on set pieces, entered the season with just one assist – coming in her freshman season of 2015 – but she has tripled that with three through seven games in 2017.
- Mary Theresa Corcoran scored her first collegiate goal on August 24 less than four minutes into overtime against Seton Hall, lifting Loyola to a 1-0 win.
- She tallied her second game-winner of the season in another overtime game on August 31 at UMBC. This time, she drilled a header in the second overtime period to push the Greyhounds to a 1-0 victory.
- Corcoran took nine shots as a freshman in 2016 and had an assist, but the goal against the Pirates was her first for Loyola.
In The Goal
- Sumer Rahe has played all but 40 minutes in goal this year for the Greyhounds, playing to a 1.93 goals against average. She has stopped 64.9 percent of the shots on goal she’s faced, making 24 saves.
Cornering The Market
- Loyola’s offensive unit has consistently put pressure on opposing defenses this year, earning 40 corner kicks in seven matches, a total that leads the Patriot League.
- “Our effort for all 90 minutes was great (at St. John’s). We’re disappointed with the result but I can’t be upset with the work our team put into (the game). We are excited now to move into Patriot League and get the conference season started.” - Head Coach Naomi Meiburger
Ensor Scores First Career Goal, But Eagles Top ...
Sarah Ensor scored her first collegiate goal Wednesday night, but Loyola women’s soccer was...
Women's Soccer Returns To Ridley Wednesday...
Loyola women's soccer returns to Ridley Athletic Complex on Wednesday night to host American at 7...
Final Regular-Season Road Trip Takes Women's...
Loyola women's soccer will take its final regular-season road trip of 2017 when it visits Lehigh ...
Boston University Gets Past Women's Soccer
The Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer team dropped a 3-0 decision to Boston...
Boston University, Women's Soccer Meet Saturday...
Loyola women's soccer starts a stretch of four-straight Patriot League games to end the regular-s...
Cabrera, DiMarco Tally Goals In Women's Soccer'...
Julianna Cabrera and Taylor DiMarco scored goals Monday night, and the Loyola women’s...
Rahe Named Patriot League Goalkeeper Of The Week
Loyola junior goalkeeper Sumer Rahe was named the Patriot League Goalkeeper of the Week on Monday...
Delaware State Hosts Women's Soccer Monday Night
Loyola women's soccer plays its final non-conference match of 2017 on Monday night when it heads ...
There are no upcoming events.