St. John's Hosts Women's Soccer Friday Night In Queens
|Opponent||St. John's Red Storm|
|Date||Friday, September 8, 2017|
|Location||Queens, N.Y. | Belson Stadium|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
Quick Hits About The 'Hounds
- Loyola University Maryland plays its last non-conference tune-up before starting Patriot League play next weekend on Friday, September 8. The Greyhounds travel to Queens, New York, to face St. John's University in a 6 p.m. match at Belson Stadium.
- The contest is Loyola's penultimate non-conference match of the year as it plays Delaware State on Monday, October 9.
- Friday's game against the Red Storm is the fourth of six-straight Loyola will play on the road.
- Loyola is tied for 37th in NCAA Division I in corner kicks per game, and its total corner kicks (38) are tied for 38th..
- Julianna Cabrera leads the Patriot League in assists this season with three. She has had the assist on all of the Greyhounds' goals this season.
- Mary Theresa Corcoran is tied for third in the conference in overall goals scored (two), and her two game-winning goals are good for second. The two game-winners also are tied for 15th nationally.
- The 2017 season will be the Greyhounds' fifth as members of the Patriot League. Loyola joined the conference prior to the 2013-2014 academic year.
- This season will be the Greyhounds' eighth with Ridley Athletic Complex as their home. Loyola began playing soccer at the stadium in 2010 and has a 30-22-11 record there. Last season, the Greyhounds went 4-3-2 on their home pitch.
Last Time Out
- Saint Francis (Pa.) scored twice in the first 17 minutes, and the Red Flash went on to defeat visiting Loyola, 3-0, Sunday afternoon in non-conference play.
- The Northeast Conference's preseason favorite and 2016 champion got on the board in 7:01 into play as Leah Hardin tallied a goal off assists by Sarah Suler and Gabi Morales. Saint Francis then tacked on another goal less than 10 minutes later when Camryn Tirado used an Alyssa McGhee feed to score at 16:34.
- Loyola had a 6-5 advantage in first-half shots, but the Red Flash kept the Greyhounds off the board.
- The Red Flash tallied an insurance goal 17:06 into the second half when Hardin found the net a second time, this off a McGhee assist.
- Overall, Saint Francis controlled a 13-11 advantage in shots, 9-4 in those struck on goal. The Red Flash also had five corner kicks to Loyola's two.
- Sumer Rahe made six saves in goal for Loyola, while Julia Hernan made four for Saint Francis.
- Loyola and St. John's will meet for the second time in as many years and the second time overall in series history when the teams take the field Friday.
- Last year, the teams played to a 1-1 draw on August 28 at Loyola's Ridley Athletic Complex.
- The Greyhounds got off just two shots, but the first hit the net in the eighth minute. Nicole Wahlig headed home a Mia Sardella corner kick to provide the Greyhounds a 1-0 lead 7:56 into play.
- St. John's rallied to tie the score at 1-1 just over 30 minutes later as Christina Bellero knocked in a goal with assists by Claudia Cagnina and Anna Baldurssdottir.
- Lily Andres made five saves in goal for the Greyhounds, two coming in overtime, while Diana Poulin had one for St. John's.
About The Red Storm
- St. John's enters Friday night's game with a 3-1-1 record after splitting a pair of outcomes at the Central Connecticut State Tournament last weekend. The Red Storm knocked off Connecticut, 1-0, on Friday night before falling by the same score to Harvard in a double-overtime contest Sunday. St. John's also had wins over Marist and Fairfield and a draw versus La Salle.
- Christina Bellero leads the Red Storm with four goals and nine points while four others have one goal each.
- Jordan Kamp has played nearly 400 minutes in goal for St. Johns and has a 1.14 goals-against average to go with a .773 save percentage.
Big East Flavor
- The game on Friday will be the third of three the Greyhounds will play against Big East Conference foes. They defeated Seton Hall, 1-0, on August 24 and fell, 5-0, at Georgetown three days later.
- The Greyhounds are 3-9-2 all-time against current members of the Big East.
- Loyola Head Coach Naomi Meiburger was an assistant coach at Georgetown for 11 years, serving as the Hoyas' associate head coach from 2011-13.
- Mary Theresa Corcoran scored her first collegiate goal on August 24 less than four minutes into overtime against Seton Hall, lifting Loyola to a 1-0 win.
- She tallied her second game-winner of the season in another overtime game on August 31 at UMBC. This time, she drilled a header in the second overtime period to push the Greyhounds to a 1-0 victory.
- Corcoran took nine shots as a freshman in 2016 and had an assist, but the goal against the Pirates was her first for Loyola.
On The Other End
- Julianna Cabrera has been on the assisting end of all three of the Greyhounds' goals this season and is Loyola's primary player to start set pieces.
- Cabrera entered the season with just one assist - coming in her freshman season of 2015 - but she has tripled that with three through six games in 2017.
In The Goal
- Sumer Rahe has played all but 40 minutes in goal this year for the Greyhounds, playing to a 1.92 goals against average. She has stopped 63.3 percent of the shots on goal she's faced, making 19 saves.
Cornering The Market
- Loyola's offensive unit has consistently put pressure on opposing defenses this year, earning 38 corner kicks in six matches, a total that leads the Patriot League.
Red Flash Score Early, Down Women’s...
Saint Francis (Pa.) scored twice in the first 17 minutes, and the Red Flash went on to defeat...
Cabrera-Corcoran Connection Clicks Again For...
Mary Theresa Corcoran tallied her second overtime game-winner in three games Thursday night as...
Women's Soccer Heads To UMBC, St. Francis For...
Loyola women's soccer plays a pair of games on the road this week, starting with a Thursday night...
No. 11 Georgetown Tops Women’s Soccer
Eleventh-ranked Georgetown put early pressure on visiting Loyola Sunday afternoon at Shaw Field, ...
Women 's Soccer Partners With United Way to...
Loyola women's soccer partnered with United Way to help staff at the Henderson -Hopkins School...
No. 11 Georgetown Hosts Women's Soccer Sunday...
Loyola women's soccer hits the road Sunday afternoon for Washington, D.C., where it will face...
Corcoran OT Header Lifts Women's Soccer Past...
Mary Theresa Corcoran's header off a Julianna Cabrera corner kick provided the match's only goal,...
Thursday Night Women's Soccer Match Boasts Free...
Join Loyola women's soccer for its annual Movie Night on Thursday, August 24, when the Greyhounds...
Friday, Sept 22 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Navy Annapolis, Md. 7:00 PM Live Stats | Video
Wednesday, Sept 27 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Bucknell Ridley Athletic Complex 7:00 PM Sunday, Oct 1 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Army West Point West Point, N.Y. 2:00 PM Saturday, Oct 7 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Holy Cross Ridley Athletic Complex 12:00 PM Monday, Oct 9 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Delaware State Dover, Del. 6:00 PM Saturday, Oct 14 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Boston University Boston, Mass. 1:00 PM