Women's Soccer Heads To Delaware For A Friday Matchup
Sep 5, 2013
|Opponent||Delaware Blue Hens|
|Date||Friday, September 6, 2013|
|Location||Newark, Delaware | Delaware Mini-Stadium|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
• Loyola University Maryland has made eight appearances in the NCAA College Cup, including last season as they Greyhounds traveled to Durham, N.C. to take on the Duke Blue Devils in the first round.
• The 2013 season marks Loyola’s inaugural season as a member of the Patriot League.
Last Time Out
• Loyola opened its home schedule with a 1-0 double-overtime loss to Temple University on Sunday, Sept.1.
• The Greyhounds and the Owls met for the first time, as the Owls escaped with the first victory of the series.
• The two teams were scoreless until the 105th minute of action, when Erin Lafferty’s free kick sailed over the defense and struck the top right side of the goal post to give Temple the win.
• The Greyhounds and Owls combined for 16 shots in the game, eight each, while Loyola held an 11-3 advantage in corner kicks.
• Freshman Nicole Wahlig led the offensive effort with three shots, while fellow classmate Maddie Boccio added two.
Scouting the Blue Hens
• Delaware returns eight letterwinners, while welcoming 10 freshmen to the 2013 squad.
• The Blue Hens were picked to finish seventh in the Colonial Athletic Association.
• Senior goalkeeper Jess Levy represented the United States at the Maccabiah games this summer in Israel. Levy and team USA won the gold medal, going unbeaten in seven games.
• A victory over Loyola on Friday would give Delaware its first win of the season.
Series with Delaware
• Friday night’s match up will mark the eighth meeting between Loyola and Delaware.
• The Greyhounds have won the last three in the series, including the last meeting in 2012, one in 2002, and 1998.
• Loyola improved to 2-1-2, as the Greyhounds escaped with a 1-0 victory versus Delaware at Ridley Athletic Complex, Friday, Sept. 7, 2012.
• Last year, the Blue Hens and Greyhounds combined for 19 total shots, as Loyola capitalized on the game-winning goal in the 19th minute.
• Charlotte Miller recorded her first collegiate points, scoring the lone goal against the Blue Hens.
• Miller broke the scoreless tie, stealing a bouncing ball near the top of the 18-yard box, and broke free down the right side before placing a shot perfectly into the left-side netting for her first career goal and putting Loyola up,
• Goalkeeper Didi Haracic tabbed her first shutout of the 2012 season, making six saves against Delaware.
• The Greyhound back line of Kelsey Rene, Kelly Santangelo, Jenny Thornton, Melissa Lookingland and Kailey Rote stayed strong in the second half, forcing Delaware to take most of its opportunities from distance.
• Loyola returns to Ridley Atheltic Complex on Tuesday, Sept. 10 to take on local non-conference rival UMBC at 7 p.m.
Women In Sports Day Set For January 31
Loyola University Maryland will host a celebration of women and their contributions to, and...
Folan Named All-Mid-Atlantic Second Team
Loyola University Maryland women's soccer senior Colleen Folan was named to the 2014 NCAA...
Men's And Women's Soccer Earn NSCAA Team...
The Loyola University Maryland men's and women's soccer teams were among 861 college soccer teams...
Folan Named To Academic All-Patriot League WSOC...
Loyola University Maryland women's soccer senior Colleen Folan was one of 11 student-athletes to ...
Women's Soccer Concludes Season In Patriot...
The Loyola University Maryland women's soccer team concluded it's first season under head coach...
Patriot League Quarterfinals Tuesday For Women'...
The sixth-seeded Loyola University Maryland women's soccer team travels to the United States...
Santangelo, Folan and Miller Named To All-Patri...
Loyola University Maryland women's soccer senior Kelly Santangelo was named to the All-Patriot...
Women's Soccer Earns PL Tournament Berth With...
The Loyola University Maryland women's soccer played Lafayette College to a scoreless tie on...
There are no upcoming events.