Loyola Hosts Delaware, Travels To American This Weekend
|Date||Friday, September 7, 2012|
|Location||Baltimore, Md. | Ridley Athletic Complex|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Free Video | Free Audio|
|Game Notes||Game Notes|
|Date||Sunday, September 9, 2012|
|Location||Washington, D.C. | Reeves Field|
|Game Notes||Game Notes|
- The Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer team is 1-1-2 in its first four games of the 2012 season and is unbeaten in its last two games.
- The Greyhounds return nine starters from last year’s squad, including 2011 MAAC Offensive Player of the Year, Nichole Schiro.
Scouting the Blue Hens
- Delaware is coming off a 1-0 win over Siena on Sept. 2, the team’s first victory of the season.
- Head coach Scott Grzenda enters his 23rd season at the helm of the Blue Hens and is the only coach in Delaware women’s soccer history.
- The team returned 16 letterwinners from a squad that went 10-7-4 in 2011 and advanced to the CAA semifinals for the first time since 2005.
Scouting the Eagles
- The Eagles are 1-4-1 to start the 2012 season and are coming off a loss to Virginia Tech in their last match.
- The Eagles returned eight starters and 22 letterwinners from last year’s team, including All-Patriot League performers Michelle Montilioand Jasmine Mohandesi.
- The Eagles host Virginia Commonwealth on Friday before battling the Greyhounds Sunday afternoon.
Series with Delaware
- This is the seventh meeting between the Greyhounds and the Blue Hens, which each team recording three wins apiece.
- It is the first meeting in the series since Sept. 30, 1998 when Loyola defeated Delaware, 1-0.
Series with American
- The Eagles and Greyhounds will meet for the 10th time on Sunday, with Loyola holiding a 5-2-2 advantage in the all-time series.
- Loyola won the last meeting between the schools, 1-0, at Ridley Athletic Complex on Sept. 21, 2011.
- Katelyn McFadden scored the goal for Loyola, while Didi Haracic had the shutout in goal.
Last Time Out
- Nichole Schiro scored a goal in the 87th minute of play to help the Greyhounds earn a 1-1 tie against local rival Towson on Friday, Aug. 31 at Ridley Athletic Complex.
- Schiro tipped home her 39th career goal off assists from Brittany Yancey and Tessa McClenahan.
Patriot League Bound
- On Wednesday, Aug. 29, Loyola University Maryland announced that it had accepted an invitation to become the 10th member of the Patriot League beginning in the 2013-14 academic year for all sports.
- Loyola will join American, Bucknell, Colgate, Holy Cross, Lafayette, Lehigh, Navy, Army and fellow recent addition Boston University.
- Loyola saw contributions from many different players while playing three games in five days, with three Greyhounds notching career firsts.
- Jessica Van Dyke scored her first career goal at Oakland, while Rosy Hayes and Julia Hajjar had their first career assists.
- Loyola’s, 2-1, win at Oakland on Sunday, Aug. 26, was the team’s first road non-conference win since Sept. 18, 2009, when the Greyhounds beat American, 2-0.
- Four of Loyola’s five goals this season have come in the first half.
- Schiro’s goal in the 87th minute vs. Towson was the team’s first second-half goal this year.
- With two goals in the first give games, Nichole Schiro has added on to her program record with 39 career goals.
- Schiro also has 89 career points, just tying her with Carolyn Kennington for first all-time.
- She ranked second in the MAAC overall with 13 goals and first in league play with nine in 2011.
‘Hounds Picked Third, Three Greyhounds Earn Preseason Honors
- The Greyhounds were picked to finish third in the MAAC Preseason Coaches poll, coming in just behind Marist and Fairfield.
- In addition, three Greyhounds were named to the Preseason All-MAAC team including senior forward Nichole Schiro, senior defender Kelsey Rene and junior goalkeeper Didi Haracic.
- Schiro also was named MAAC Preseason Player of the Year after earning 2011 MAAC Offensive Player of the Year accolades last season.
Hit Me With Your Best Shot
- Sophomore keeper Didi Haracic started 2012 right where she finished in 2011.
- Haracic has 26 saves through the first four games, including a career-high 12 at Michigan State.
- She recorded 96 saves in 2011, the fifth-most in a single season in Loyola history.
- Loyola returns six players of last year’s team who earned All-MAAC honors in 2011, highlighted by reigning MAAC Offensive Player of the Year, Nichole Schiro.
- Schiro was joined by senior defender Kelsey Rene on the All-MAAC First Team, while Gigi Mangione, Didi Haracic and Jenny Thornton earned Second Team honors.
- Kelly Santangelo was named to the MAAC All-Rookie Team.
- Since the opening of the Ridley Athletic Complex last season, the Greyhounds have posted a 14-4-3 overall record in their new home, including a 7-4 mark in 2011.
In The Coaches Box
- Katherine Remy Vettori enters her fifth season as the head coach of the Greyhounds with a 43-33-12 career record. Vettori, who led Loyola to the MAAC regular-season and tournament titles in 2009, was named Anaconda Sports MAAC Coach of the Year in 2009.
- Vettori has led Loyola to three MAAC Championship appearances in four seasons, going 4-2 in those games.
- Vettori is assisted by first-year assistant coach Lincoln Phillips along with Emily Janss and Dave Nesbitt.
Cabrera Scores Twice As Women's Soccer Earns 3-...
The Loyola University Maryland women's soccer team scored a pair of goals in the first 11 minutes...
Women's Soccer Opens 2016 Season Friday At...
The Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer team kicks off the 2016 season with an away...
Wahlig Named To Preseason All-Patriot League...
Senior defender Nicole Wahlig has been named to the 2016 Preseason All-Patriot League Team, while...
Ruhl Joins Women's Soccer Staff As A Volunteer ...
Loyola University Maryland head women’s soccer coach Naomi Meiburger has announced the...
Women's Soccer Announces 2016 Schedule
The Loyola University Maryland women's soccer team has announced its 16-game schedule for the...
Hayes Awarded Patriot League’s Bob...
Loyola University Maryland women’s soccer alumna Rosy Hayes, a 2016 graduate, has been...
Women's Soccer Announces Two One-Day Summer...
The Loyola University Maryland women's soccer program announced that it will host two one-day...
Soccer Alumni Inducted To Maryland Soccer Hall ...
The Old Timers Soccer Association of Maryland is inducting its 42nd Hall of Fame class and this...
Thursday, Aug 25 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Saint Francis (Pa.) Ridley Athletic Complex 7:00 PM Video Sunday, Aug 28 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE St. John's Ridley Athletic Complex 4:00 PM Video Friday, Sept 2 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Cornell Ridley Athletic Complex 6:00 PM Video Sunday, Sept 4 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Delaware Newark, Del. 7:00 PM Friday, Sept 9 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Monmouth (N.J.) West Long Branch, N.J. 7:00 PM Video
Sunday, Sept 11 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Seton Hall South Orange, N.J. 1:00 PM