Women's Soccer Heads To UMBC, St. Francis For Next Pair
|Date||Thursday, August 31, 2017|
|Location||Catonsville, Md. | Retriever Soccer Park|
|Live Stats||Click Here|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
|Opponent||Saint Francis (Pennsylvania) Red Flash|
|Date||Sunday, September 3, 2017|
|Location||Loretto, Pa. | Stokes Soccerplex|
|Live Stats||Click Here|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
Quick Hits About The ’Hounds
- Loyola University Maryland plays a pair of games on the road this week, starting when it makes the short trip across Baltimore to face UMBC on Thursday, August 31, at 7 p.m.
- The Greyhounds then travel to Loretto, Pennsylvania, for a Saturday, September 2, 2 p.m. game at Saint Francis University (Pennsylvania).
- Julianna Cabrera is tied for the conference lead in assists early in the season. Her two assists match Boston University’s Erin Neville.
- The 2017 season will be the Greyhounds’ fifth as members of the Patriot League. Loyola joined the conference prior to the 2013-2014 academic year.
- This season will be the Greyhounds’ eighth with Ridley Athletic Complex as their home. Loyola began playing soccer at the stadium in 2010 and has a 30-22-11 record there. Last season, the Greyhounds went 4-3-2 on their home pitch.
Last Time Out
- Eleventh-ranked Georgetown put early pressure on visiting Loyola Sunday afternoon, scoring twice in the opening 19 minutes and three times in the first half, en route to a 5-0 victory.
- The Hoyas, who reached the semifinals of the 2016 NCAA College Cup, had quality shot attempts saved by Loyola’s Sumer Rahe twice in the first eight minutes, but Georgetown found the net 13:52 into the contest.
- Counterattacking up the middle, Chloe Knott fed the ball to Casey Richards on the wide left side, and she slid a pass to Caitlin Farrell inside the six. Farrell finished with a one-touch shot that went into the right side of the goal, staking the Hoyas to an early advantage.
- Mary Theresa Corcoran headed a Julianna Cabrera corner toward the goal less than two minutes later, but Georgetown goalkeeper Arielle Schechtman got her hands on the shot for a save.
- Richards connected with Farrell again, sending a pass from the left to Farrell eight yards out. Farrell spun to gain space and struck a hard shot that found the goal for her second of the game.
- Georgetown added a third goal before halftime and two in the second half.
- Loyola and UMBC will face each other for the 14th time on Thursday when they take the field at the UMBC Soccer Stadium. Last year, the Greyhounds extended their record to 7-3-3 against the Retrievers with a 2-0 victory on August 21 at Ridley Athletic Complex. Emily Lung hammered home a 23-yard free kick to put Loyola up a goal in the 51st minute. Nicole Wahlig then scored off a Mia Sardella corner kick in the 79th minute for an insurance goal as Sumer Rahe logged her first career clean sheet in goal.
- The Greyhounds and Saint Francis (Pennsylvania) have faced each other three previous times with Loyola winning each. Last year, Loyola downed the Red Flash, 1-0, behind a Maddie Hart unassisted goal and six saved by Lily Andres in goal. The win on August 25 moved Loyola to 3-0-0 for the season, a school-best start.
About The Opponents
- UMBC enters Thursday night’s game with a 1-2-1 record through four contests. The Retrievers opened with a 1-1 draw against Towson and a 1-0 win over Mount St. Mary’s before dropping a pair of one-goal decisions to Robert Morris and UNCW.
- Saint Francis, the preseason favorite in the Northeast Conference, dropped its first three decisions of the year, on the road at Miami (Fla.), Florida Atlantic and Dayton. The Red Flash play at Virginia Military on Thursday night before facing Loyola.
- Mary Theresa Corcoran scored her first collegiate goal on August 24 less than four minutes into overtime against Seton Hall, lifting Loyola to a 1-0 win.
- Corcoran took nine shots as a freshman in 2016 and had an assist, but the goal against the Pirates was her first for Loyola.
Getting In The Mix
- Nicole Rivas, a freshman from Northern California, scored the Greyhounds’ first goal of the year on August 18 against Mount St. Mary’s, knocking in a Julianna Cabrera corner kick early in the second half.
- It marked the second year in a row that a freshman scored in the season-opener for the Greyhounds after current sophomore Maddie Hart did so against The Mount in 2016. Rivas’ goal also marked the first time a Loyola freshman scored the team’s first goal of the season since Tessa McClenahan did so on August 23, 2009.
Cornering The Market
- Loyola’s offensive unit has consistently put pressure on opposing defenses this year, earning 28 corner kicks in four matches.
- That total leads the Patriot League and is six more than the Army West Point in second place.
- “I think we gained a lot out of our last two games against Seton Hall and Georgetown. I was pleased with the way that we competed in both games, and I think that what we have been able to take away from both games will be good for us the rest of the year.” – Head Coach Naomi Meiburger
Red Flash Score Early, Down Women’s...
Saint Francis (Pa.) scored twice in the first 17 minutes, and the Red Flash went on to defeat...
Cabrera-Corcoran Connection Clicks Again For...
Mary Theresa Corcoran tallied her second overtime game-winner in three games Thursday night as...
Women's Soccer Heads To UMBC, St. Francis For...
Loyola women's soccer plays a pair of games on the road this week, starting with a Thursday night...
No. 11 Georgetown Tops Women’s Soccer
Eleventh-ranked Georgetown put early pressure on visiting Loyola Sunday afternoon at Shaw Field, ...
Women 's Soccer Partners With United Way to...
Loyola women's soccer partnered with United Way to help staff at the Henderson -Hopkins School...
No. 11 Georgetown Hosts Women's Soccer Sunday...
Loyola women's soccer hits the road Sunday afternoon for Washington, D.C., where it will face...
Corcoran OT Header Lifts Women's Soccer Past...
Mary Theresa Corcoran's header off a Julianna Cabrera corner kick provided the match's only goal,...
Thursday Night Women's Soccer Match Boasts Free...
Join Loyola women's soccer for its annual Movie Night on Thursday, August 24, when the Greyhounds...
Friday, Sept 22 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Navy Annapolis, Md. 7:00 PM Live Stats | Video
Wednesday, Sept 27 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Bucknell Ridley Athletic Complex 7:00 PM Sunday, Oct 1 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Army West Point West Point, N.Y. 2:00 PM Saturday, Oct 7 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Holy Cross Ridley Athletic Complex 12:00 PM Monday, Oct 9 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Delaware State Dover, Del. 6:00 PM Saturday, Oct 14 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Boston University Boston, Mass. 1:00 PM