Skip to main content Skip to simple nav

Quick-Strike Virginia Offense Ousts Loyola from Women's College Cup

Nov. 16, 2007

Box Score

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The University of Virginia scored four second half goals amidst a flurry of activity to defeat visiting Loyola College, 4-1, in the first round of the NCAA Women's Soccer College Cup.

Kelly Quinn broke a 1-1 tie 55:28 into the match, blasting a right-footed shot from the top of the box to put the Cavaliers (12-3-6) ahead, 2-1.

Virginia struck first, when Nikki Kryzsik took a pass from Meghan Lenczyk and dribbled around a Loyola defender. She snuck the ball inside the far post to give Virginia a 1-0 advantage at the 50:31 mark.

The Greyhounds (10-6-5) would even the score quickly, however. Less than two minutes later, Theresa Ferraina found herself at the top right-corner of the box with only one Virginia defender.

Krzysik appeared to push Ferraina to the right side where help would come, but the Loyola junior changed directions and nailed a shot into the left side of the net with her left foot.

Ferraina's goal came at 52:07 and tied the game at 1-1 and tied her for the team lead this season with eight.

"When the center back (Krzysik) looked like she had `T' (Ferraina) locked up to the outside, she just chopped the ball back inside with her left foot," Loyola Head Coach John Byford said. "Her shot was just unstoppable. The goalie (Virginia's Chantel Jones) was flying through the air, but there was nothing she could do about it."

Quinn, however, would take feeds from Lenczyk and Sinead Farrelly to score the eventual game-winning goal just over three minutes later.

"After they notched the second goal, we started to break down a little bit defensively," said senior midfielder Brynn McGrath. "We got a little disorganized."

The match would remain a one-goal affair for over 18 minutes until Shannon Foley dribbled down the end line and eluded two Loyola defenders, scoring from close range against Greyhounds goalkeeper Brittany Henderson.



"If we could have held the score at 1-1 for a little while longer, I think that it would have been closer at the end," Byford said. "(Quinn's goal) really took the wind out of our sails."

Julia Falk would add Virginia's fourth goal, off an assist by Amy Hemenway, from 15 yards out with just under two minutes left in the match.

"They seemed to come out harder in the second half," McGrath said. "It was a little frustrating because we felt that we were just running around a lot, but they kept possession and we work down a little bit. We fought as hard as we could, though, and we gave our whole hearts."

Loyola's best scoring opportunity after its goal came in the 80th minute. Ferraina took a pass from Christina Gomez and was a few steps ahead of the Virginia defense. It looked like she would have a one-on-one opportunity, but she was pulled down from behind by Cavaliers back Becky Sauerbrunn.

Sauerbrunn drew a yellow card, but on the ensuing free kick, Gomez's shot was blocked by Virginia's wall.

Virginia outshot the Greyhounds 19-4, putting 12 of its shots on goal. Henderson made eight saves for the Greyhounds, while Jones had one for Virginia.

Loyola concludes its season with a 10-6-5 record and its sixth appearance in the NCAA Women's Soccer College Cup. The Greyhounds won the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Tournament Championship and were the only undefeated team in conference play during the regular-season.

Latest Tweets

More Headlines
Wednesday, Sept 27
Bucknell Ridley Athletic Complex 7:00 PM
Sunday, Oct 1
Army West Point West Point, N.Y. 2:00 PM
Saturday, Oct 7
Holy Cross Ridley Athletic Complex 12:00 PM
Monday, Oct 9
Delaware State Dover, Del. 6:00 PM
Saturday, Oct 14
Boston University Boston, Mass. 1:00 PM
Wednesday, Oct 18
American Ridley Athletic Complex 7:00 PM