Skip to main content Skip to footer

Mount St. Mary’s Gets Past Women’s Soccer, 3-1, in Season Opener

Aug. 18, 2017

Final Stats

BALTIMORE - Nicole Rivas scored her first career goal to equalize the game at 1-1 earlier in the second half, but Mount St. Mary’s University responded with two goals in the final 22 minutes to post a 3-1 season-opening victory over host Loyola University Maryland on Friday night.

Sarah Harmon gave the Mountaineers a 1-0 lead in the 36th minute, converting a shot from the right slot. Hannah Logue initiated the offense for Mount St. Mary’s, chasing a ball to the end-line and sending the pass back to Harmon or an eight-yard shot.

The Mount goal came after Loyola had a flurry of early chances and the most dangerous opportunities in the early going.

Loyola (0-1-0) posted four shots less than five minutes into the game, putting two on goal, but Maggie Barron was there to make saves for the Mountaineers (1-0-0). In the fourth minute, Alyssa Bonessen crossed a pass to Jourdan Ziff inside of 10 yards, but her shot sailed just high, keeping Loyola off the board.

The Greyhounds had an opportunity in the 24th minute as Julianna Cabrera took a corner kick that was touched by Rivas before Sarah Ensor attempted to redirect it at the mouth of the goal. Her angle was too tight, and the shot was off frame.

“We had several chances in the game’s first 15 minutes, and we didn't convert on them,” said Naomi Meiburger, Loyola’s head coach. “Against a team that battled very hard, we didn't turn it up in the second half, and that is disappointing.”

Mount St. Mary’s put its first extensive pressure on in the 33rd minute as Chloe Cain got free out of the midfield on the left side. Loyola defender Alice Regan, however, closed out and cleared the ball away from harm, keeping the Mountaineers off the board until Harmon scored just over two minutes later.



The teams went into the locker room with Mount St. Mary’s up a goal, but Loyola mounted an attack early in the second half.

The Greyhounds earned a corner kick in the 49th minute, and Cabrera sent a low, sweeping kick across the 18 from the left side. Rivas one-touched it from less than nine yards out, redirected it inside the far post for a goal in her collegiate debut.

Ten minutes later, however, Mount St. Mary’s had its first opportunity to retake the lead. Logue received a long pass over top of the Greyhounds’ defense and was one-on-one with Loyola goalkeeper Sumer Rahe. She closed down the angle, racing out to the top of the box, and Logue’s shot slid wide left.

In the 66th minute, Jaylyn Chandler turned and shot from 19 yards out, but it was deflected wide left by a Loyola defender over the end line.

On a successive corner kick, Jenna West swung a high kick from the left side that was nodded down by Maria Buonomo. The ball went past an outstretched Rahe for what would be the game-winning goal with exacltly 22 minutes remaining in regulation.

Mount St. Mary’s added a third goal just over 80 minutes into the game as Harmon laid a pass off to Kayla Hughes. The latter blasted a shot from more than 25 yards out that curled under the crossbar to put the Mountaineers up, 3-1.

Loyola nearly pulled within a goal in the 87th minute as Rahe took a free kick from near midfield. The ball bounced loose in the box, but Barron was able to get her hands on it and snare it from danger.

The Greyhounds finished with a 10-7 advantage in shots and a 10-3 margin in corner kicks, but Barron made two saves to Rahe’s one for the Mountaineers.

Loyola is back in action on Sunday afternoon when it travels to nearby Towson University for a 1 o’clock match.

“We have a chance to get right back out on Sunday against Towson to move on to a new opportunity,” Meiburger said.




  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago


proud sponsors of greyhound athletics