No. 6 Loyola Set To Take On Penn In NCAA First Round
May 9, 2012
|Opponent||No. 12/11 Penn|
|Date||Sunday, May 13, 2012|
|Location||Baltimore, Maryland | Ridley Athletic Complex|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video | Audio|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
|Game Notes||Complete Game Notes in PDF Format|
• This will mark the first time that Loyola and Penn have met since 2005, while it will be the second time the two have met in the NCAA Tournament.
• Penn beat Loyola, 9-5, in the Greyhounds' first-ever NCAA Tournament game in 1983.
• Sunday's winner will advance to the quarterfinals to face the winner of UMass at No. 3 Maryland.
Loyola Greyhounds (13-5, 7-1 BIG EAST)
• Loyola is coming off its second-straight BIG EAST title and will be the No. 6 seed in the tournament.
• Sixteen Greyhounds have tallied goals for Loyola this year, while eight have reached double figures in scoring. Sophomore Marlee Paton leads the way with 84 points on 50 goals and 34 assists, while freshman Annie Thomas has 63 points on 36 goals and 27 assists. Paton is ranked eighth in the NCAA in points per game (4.67), while Thomas is the top freshman at 3.5 points per game.
• Freshman Hannah Schmitt is tied for second on the team in goals (36) and is third in points (44), while Sydney Thomas has 42 points on 21 goals and 21 assists. Junior Joanna Dalton has 29 points (25g, 4a) and classmate Cassandra Cursaro has 17 points (16g, 1a), while freshman Molly Hulseman has 16 points (15g, 1a). Freshman Kara Burke rounds out the Greyhounds in double figures with 13 points on 10 goals and three assists.
• Defensively, senior Kellye Gallagher leads the BIG EAST with 60 ground balls (ranked fifth nationally) and 48 caused turnovers (ranked second nationally), while classmate Ana Heneberry is ranked second in the league in caused turnovers with 36 (eighth nationally).
• In goal, senior Kerry Stoothoff has a 9.79 GAA and is stopping 46.5 percent of shots faced.
Scouting Penn (9-7, 6-1 Ivy League)
• Penn, the Ivy League regular season champion, lost to Dartmouth in the championship game of the conference tournament, 6-4, but earned an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament.
• This will mark the Quakers' sixth-straight trip - and eighth overall - to the national tournament.
• Penn has played one of the toughest schedules in the country this year, with all seven of its losses coming at the hands of teams ranked inside the top-13 at the time of the meeting.
• Erin Brennan leads the Quakers with 31 goals this year and 26 assists for 57 points.
• Meredith Cain is second on the team with 30 goals and 35 assists.
• Maddie Poplawski has won a team-best 57 draw controls, while Cain has won 41.
• Defensively, Emily Leitner has won 47 ground balls and caused 15 turnovers.
• In goal, Leitner is allowing 9.46 goals per game while stopping 45.0 percent of shots faced.
Series Record vs. The Quakers
• Despite not meeting since 2005, Loyola holds a 15-4 advantage in the all-time series with Penn, including winning the last 13-straight games. Loyola's last loss was on the road in 1989, 6-5.
• In NCAA Tournament games, the Quakers defeated the Greyhounds in Loyola's first-ever tournament contest, 9-5, in 1983.
• The win also marked Penn's first-ever victory in the NCAA Championship.
• In Baltimore, Loyola is 9-1, but this will mark the first game at Ridley Athletic Complex.
• This mark's Loyola's 15th NCAA Tournament appearance and second straight.
• Under head coach Jen Adams, the Greyhounds are 1-1, as they knocked off UMass, 14-7, at home in the first round last year, before falling to North Carolina, 16-13, on the road.
• This will also be the second-year in a row that the Greyhounds have earned the No. 6 seed in the tournament.
• Loyola is 8-4 in the NCAA Tournament when playing at home and 1-0 at Ridley Athletic Complex.
• This marks the second-straight year that the Greyhounds have hosted a first-round game.
NCAA Tournament History
• The Greyhounds are making their 15th appearance in the NCAA Championship and their second-straight under head coach Jen Adams.
• Loyola is 12-14 all time in the tournament, including holding an 8-6 mark in first round action.
• The Greyhounds have advanced to the final four seven times, including playing in the national championship game in 1997, before ultimately falling to Maryland, 8-7.
• The last time Loyola made it to the final weekend was in 2003.
Path To The Title
• If Loyola is to advance, the Greyhounds will not face a familiar opponent until possibly the semifinal round.
• The winner of Sunday's game will face the winner of the Massachusetts at No. 3 seed Maryland game that will be played on Saturday, May 12 at 2 p.m. The Greyhounds did not face either of those teams this year.
• Loyola could also match-up against Syracuse, Towson or Penn State if it were to advance to the final game.
Versus NCAA Tournament Participants
• The Greyhounds went 4-3 against NCAA Tournament teams this year, beating Notre Dame twice and splitting two meetings with Syracuse. Loyola also defeated Penn State in overtime, but fell to Virginia and Towson.
• In the postseason, the Greyhounds are 2-0 against tournament participants, knocking Notre Dame out of semifinals of the BIG EAST Tournament, 11-9. Loyola then upset Syracuse, 13-7, in the championship game for its second-straight conference title and the automatic bid to the national tournament.
• Loyola's junior Joanna Dalton and senior J.P. Dalton are one of two pairs of brother/sister siblings trying to lead their respective schools to both a men's and women's NCAA Championship this postseason.
• Syracuse has the other pair, as Mallory Vehar is a freshman on the women's team and her brother, Griffin, is a redshirt sophomore on the men's team.
• There are eight schools that advanced both their men's and women's programs to the NCAA Tournament.
• Of those eight programs, Loyola is the only one to advance both its men's and women's teams by automatic bids - as the men won the ECAC title and the women claimed the BIG EAST's automatic bid after winning the league title for a second-straight year. UMass also qualified both automatically, however the Minutewomen beat Canisius, 13-12, in a play-in game to advance to the first round.
• Syracuse and Notre Dame, from the BIG EAST, also advanced both its men's and women's teams, while the ACC is represented in both tournaments by Duke, Maryland, North Carolina and Virginia.
Maryland In The NCAA Championship
• Loyola is one of four teams from Maryland to compete for this year's NCAA title; Towson, Maryland and Navy are the others.
• All four teams could advance to the quarterfinals, as Towson, UMD and Loyola all have home games. Navy will head to UNC.
• Only three would be able to represent the state in the final four though, as Loyola and Maryland would meet in the semifinals if both advance.
Maryland Coaching Connections
• Maryland head coach Cathy Reese and Loyola's Jen Adams won the 1999 NCAA title at Maryland while playing for Navy's current head coach, Cindy Timchal. Reese and Adams also coached together at Denver and Maryland before Adams came to Loyola.
• In addition, Adams led Maryland to the 2000 and 2001 NCAA titles - her third-and-fourth straight as a Terrapin, while playing with Towson head coach Sonia LaMonica.
BIG EAST Championship History
• The Greyhounds are 4-1 in three tournament appearances; 0-1 in 2010, 2-0 in 2011 and 2-0 in 2012.
• Loyola won the 2011 title with a 12-10 victory over Notre Dame in the championship game and this year's title with a 13-7 upset win at No. 2 Syracuse.
BIG EAST CHAMPIONS!!
• Loyola used a 4-0 run to close out the first half with a 7-3 advantage, marking just the third time the Orange have trailed at half this year. A 6-0 second half run gave the Greyhounds a 13-4 advantage, en route to a 13-7 upset win over No. 2 Syracuse for Loyola's seond-straight BIG EAST title.
• The Greyhounds' freshmen scored the first six goals for Loyola, including six of the seven first half tallies, while freshman Kara Burke led the way with a career-best four goals on the day.
• In goal, senior Kerry Stoothoff recorded her 500th career save and her 20th career 10-plus save game, turning back a game-high 11 shots, while limiting Syracuse to a season-low seven goals.
• Stoothoff and Burke, in addition to seniors Ana Heneberry and Kellye Gallagher, junior Joanna Dalton, sophomore Marlee Paton and freshman Annie Thomas were all named to the all-tournament team.
Loyola Knocks Off Notre Dame In BIG EAST Tournament
• The Greyhounds advanced to the BIG EAST Tournament title game for a second-straight year, knocking off third seeded and No. 6 Notre Dame, 11-9, in the semifinals.
• Senior Kellye Gallagher broke the school record for single season caused turnovers, moving her total to 46 this year by causing three turnovers in the game.
• Sophomore Marlee Paton led the attack with four goals and two assists, extending her scoring streak to 23-straight games, while junior Joanna Dalton added four goals.
BIG EAST Awards
• Senior Kellye Gallagher became the first player in program history to be tabbed the BIG EAST Defensive Player of the Year, earning the honor after leading the league in caused turnovers and ground balls.
• Sophomore Marlee Paton also earned a major award, being voted the league's midfielder of the year. She's the second Greyhound to earn the honor, joining Kate McHarg (2006).
• Joining Gallagher and Paton on the All-BIG EAST First Team is senior defender Ana Heneberry, senior goalkeeper Kerry Stoothoff and freshmen Annie Thomas and Sydney Thomas.
• Freshman Hannah Schmitt was named to the all-conference second team.
Burke, VanThof And Wolf Named Corvias Patriot...
Seniors Kara Burke and Taryn VanThof, in addition to junior Molly Wolf, have been named the final...
Women's Lacrosse Downs Navy To Win Patriot...
The No. 16 Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team snapped Navy's 10-game win streak at ...
Navy And Women's Lax Play For Regular-Seaso...
Navy will host No. 16 Loyola Saturday in a game that will determine the Patriot League regular-se...
Thomas Picks Up Corvias Patriot League Player...
Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse senior Annie Thomas has become the third Greyhound to...
Women's Lax Downs BU To Clinch First-Round Bye ...
With a 9-6 win over Boston University at Ridley Athletic Complex Saturday afternoon, the 17th-ran...
Women's Lax Hosts Boston U. For Friends Of...
The Loyola women's lacrosse team will host Boston University in a rematch of last year's Patriot ...
Win Streak Runs To Nine For Women's Lacrosse...
Behind a career-best nine points from senior Annie Thomas, the No. 17 Loyola University Maryland ...
American Hosts Women's Lacrosse Wednesday...
The women's lacrosse team travels to American for an afternoon contest with the Eagles Wednesday....
Sunday, Apr 26 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Navy Ridley Athletic Complex 1:00 PM Video Saturday, May 2 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Syracuse Ridley Athletic Complex 1:00 PM Video Friday, May 8 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE NCAA First Round Campus Sites TBA Sunday, May 10 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE NCAA Second Round Campus Sites TBA Saturday, May 16 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE NCAA Quarterfinals Campus Sites TBA Sunday, May 17 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE NCAA Quarterfinals Campus Sites TBA