UMass And Loyola Women's Lax Meet Friday In NCAA First Round
May 8, 2014
|Opponent||No. 14 UMass Minutewomen (at Boston College)|
|Date||Friday, May 9, 2014|
|Location||Newton, Mass. | BC Lacrosse Complex|
|Online Media||Live Stats|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
|Game Notes||Loyola | UMass|
• UMass and Loyola will be meeting in the first round of the NCAA Tournament for a second time in the last four years. The Greyhounds and Minutewomen met at Ridley Athletic Complex in the first round of the 2011 NCAA Tournament.
• The game will be played on neutral soil, as Boston College will host the game at the BC Lacrosse Complex on its Newtown campus.
• The winner of Friday's game will advance to the second round to face the winner of the seventh-seeded Boston College vs. Bryant game on Sunday. That second round game will also be played at the BC Lacrosse Complex at 1 p.m.
Things To Know
• Loyola won the Patriot League in its inaugural year in the league to mark its third conference title in four years (BIG EAST in 2011 and 2012).
• This will be the fourth-straight year Loyola has participated in the NCAA Tournament and the 17th time in program history. The Greyhounds are 14-16 all-time in tournament games.
• The Greyhounds wrapped up their ninth undefeated conference season this year, winning the Patriot League with an 8-0 record. Loyola won the SALC in 1990 with a 4-0 record, while they won seven CAA regular-season titles with perfect records as league members from 1992-2002.
• Two Greyhounds have scoring streaks of longer than 15 games, as junior Annie Thomas has had a point in the last 37 games she has played and junior Taryn VanThof has scored in the last 28.
• VanThof broke the school’s single game, single season and career draw control records this year.
• Paton is looking to become the first Greyhound with 100 goals, 100 assists, 100 points, 100 ground balls, 100 draw controls and 100 caused turnovers in their career. She needs just three assists to hit the plateau.
• Paton and Thomas are also trying to become the first Greyhound in program history with 100 goals and 100 assists. They both have 100 goals, while Paton has 97 assists and Thomas has 95.
Loyola Greyhounds (14-5, 8-0 Patriot League)
• Loyola, tied for fifth in the NCAA in points, has one of the most balanced attacks in the nation with two Greyhounds - senior Marlee Paton, a Tewaaraton Award semifinalist, and junior Annie Thomas - ranking 14th nationally with 75 points each. Loyola and Syracuse are the only two programs in the NCAA with two players ranked in the top-15 nationally in points this season.
• Thomas is also tied for 12th in the NCAA with 37 assists, while Paton is 24th in goals (49) and seventh in caused turnovers (40).
• Junior Taryn VanThof is ranked fourth nationally in draw controls, winning 112 this year.
• Defensively, the Greyhounds rank seventh in the NCAA in caused turnovers, averaging 10.32 per game, while their defense is 20th by giving up just 8.37 goals per game.
Massachusetts Minutewomen (18-1, 7-0 Atlantic 10)
• UMass is making its fourth-straight NCAA Tournament appearance after winning its sixth-straight Atlantic 10 Championship, beating Richmond, 10-6, in the title game.
• The Minutewomen are ranked third nationally with 415 points this year, while the defense is ranked second nationally, giving up just 6.11 goals per game. The defense is also third in the NCAA in caused turnovers per game (10.84) and 12th in ground balls per game (18.63).
• Katie Ferris leads UMass and is ranked sixth in the NCAA with 85 points this year and eighth with 41 assists. Sam Rush is also ranked nationally, sitting sixth with 65 goals.
• Four Minutewomen have won more than 40 draw controls, led by Kelsey McGovern’s 53.
• Kelsey Sheridan leads the defense with 43 ground balls and 24 caused turnovers.
• In goal, Rachel Vallarelli has played 994 minutes with a 6.04 GAA and .459 save percentage.
• The Greyhounds are 3-0 all-time against UMass, although the two squads have only faced once since 1990, a first-round NCAA Tournament game at Ridley Athletic Complex in 2011.
• Loyola won that meeting, 14-7, which was the Class of 2014’s first-ever NCAA Tournament game.
• The other two meetings were in 1989 and 1990, with Loyola winning 12-6 and 10-3, respectively.
• The winner of Friday’s game will advance to Sunday’s second-round game (1 p.m.) to face the winner of the No. 7 seed Boston College vs. Bryant game.
No. 19 James Madison Escapes Ridley With...
The No. 14 Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team dropped a heartbreaker to No. 19...
Saturday's Lacrosse Doubleheader Ends With ...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team will host No. 19 James Madison in the second...
Four Greyhounds Honored On Tewaaraton Award...
The Loyola University Maryland men's and women's lacrosse teams placed four Greyhounds on the...
Schmitt Leads Women's Lacrosse To Thrilling...
The 14th-ranked Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team used a pair of overtime goals...
No. 18 Johns Hopkins Visits Ridley Wednesday...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team will open the home portion of its schedule...
Information And Registration For Loyola's Vero ...
While the Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team's is in Florida for a game against the...
Women's Lacrosse Falls At No. 15 Princeton In...
The ninth-ranked Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team scored four-straight goals to...
Season Opener For Women's Lacrosse Set For Noon...
The women's lacrosse team will open its 43rd season of competition Saturday at noon when it...
Saturday, Mar 7 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Penn State Ridley Athletic Complex 1:00 PM Video Wednesday, Mar 11 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Virginia Charlottesville, Va. 7:00 PM Saturday, Mar 14 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Lafayette Ridley Athletic Complex 1:00 PM Video Wednesday, Mar 18 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Bucknell Ridley Athletic Complex 5:00 PM Video Saturday, Mar 21 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Lehigh Bethlehem, Pa. 4:00 PM Wednesday, Mar 25 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Georgetown Ridley Athletic Complex 7:00 PM Video