Regular-Season Finale For Women's Lax Saturday At No. 2 Syracuse
May 1, 2014
|Opponent||No. 2 Syracuse Orange|
|Date||Saturday, May 3, 2014|
|Location||Syracuse, New York | Carrier Dome|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
Patriot League Champions
• The Greyhounds won their third conference title (BIG EAST in 2011 and 2012, Patriot League 2014) in four years and will advance to their fourth-straight NCAA Tournament this season.
• Three Greyhounds, in addition to head coach Jen Adams, earned major awards from the league, with junior Annie Thomas being named the Offensive Player of the Year, senior Marlee Paton earning Midfielder of the Year and sophomore Maddy Lesher picked up Defender of the Year accolades. Adams was voted the league’s Coach of the Year, while Paton was the Tournament MVP.
• Juniors Hannah Schmitt and Taryn VanThof joined Lesher, Paton and Thomas on the All-Patriot League First Team, while senior Katherine Reinhard was included on the second team, giving the Greyhounds more all-conference honorees than any other school in the league.
• Paton and Reinhard were also included on the 12-member Academic All-Patriot League Team.
Things To Know
• Loyola currently has the second-longest active win streak in the NCAA, winning its last 12 games.
• The Greyhounds wrapped up their ninth undefeated conference season this year, winning the Patriot League with an 8-0 record. Loyola won the SALC in 1990 with a 4-0 record, while they won seven CAA regular-season titles with perfect records as league members from 1992-2002.
• Two Greyhounds have scoring streaks of longer than 10 games, as junior Annie Thomas has had a point in the last 36 games she has played and junior Taryn VanThof has scored in the last 27.
• VanThof broke the school’s single game, single season and career draw control records this season.
• Paton is looking to become the first Greyhound with 100 goals, 100 assists, 100 points, 100 ground balls, 100 draw controls and 100 caused turnovers in their career. She needs four assists and four draw controls to hit the plateau.
• Paton and Thomas are also trying to become the first Greyhound in program history with 100 goals and 100 assists. They both have 100 goals, while Paton has 96 assists and Thomas has 93.
Loyola Greyhounds (14-4, 8-0 Patriot League)
• Loyola, ranked sixth in the NCAA in points, has one of the most balanced attacks in the nation with nine Greyhounds contributing double-digit goals this year.
• Senior Marlee Paton, a Tewaaraton Award semifinalist, is ranked 14th nationally with 67 points, while junior Annie Thomas is 16th with 71 points. Thomas is also 12th in the NCAA with 35 assists this year, while Paton is 24th in goals (47) and 10th in caused turnovers (34).
• Junior Taryn VanThof is ranked fifth nationally in draw controls, winning 108 this year.
• Defensively, the Greyhounds rank eighth in the NCAA in caused turnovers, averaging 10.0 per game, while they’re defense is 14th by giving up just 8.06 goals per game.
Syracuse Orange (17-2, 6-1 ACC)
• Kayla Treanor, ranked No. 1 in the NCAA in points and second in goals, and Alyssa Murray, fifth in the NCAA in points, lead Syracuse’s offense, which ranks second nationally with 399 points
• Treanor has 98 points (66 goals, 32 assists), while Murray has 47 goals and 33 assists for 80 points.
• Led by Kailah Kempney’s 91 draws, the Orange are seventh in the NCAA with 14.79 per game.
• In goal, Kelsey Richardson and Alyssa Costantino are splitting time with the two combining for an 8.58 goals-against average and a .378 save percentage.
• Syracuse holds the lead in the series between the former BIG EAST rivals, winning eight of 13 games.
• The squads have split the last four meetings, but prior to that, the Orange had won five-straight.
• Loyola claimed the last meeting in the Carrier Dome, a 13-7 win in the 2012 BIG EAST title game.
• Syracuse owns the most recent meeting though, a 19-9 win at Ridley Athletic Complex last year.
• The Greyhounds will find out who they will play in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Sunday, May 4 when the NCAA Selection Show is aired on NCAA.com at 9 p.m.
Gioffre Pizzo '03 To Be Inducted Into Baltimore...
Former Loyola University Maryland women’s lacrosse All-American Marianne Gioffre Pizzo will...
Lesher, Wolf Named Preseason All-Americans By...
Loyola University Maryland women’s lacrosse seniors Maddy Lesher and Molly Wolf have been...
Women's Lacrosse Schedule Released For 2016...
Loyola University Maryland head women’s lacrosse coach Jen Adams has announced the squad...
Blast Comes-From-Behind To Win Annual WLAX...
Team Blast scored with 20 seconds remaining in the championship game of the Loyola women's...
Adams Named IWLCA Mid-Atlantic Region Coach Of ...
Loyola University Maryland head women’s lacrosse coach Jen Adams was named the IWLCA Mid-At...
Women's Lacrosse Featured In ILWomen Fall All-A...
Inside Lacrosse's women's editor Halley Quillinan recently stopped by a Loyola University...
Blakeman And Geiger Named Women's Lacrosse ...
Loyola University Maryland women’s lacrosse head coach Jen Adams has announced that senior ...
Five 'Hounds Attend Women's Sports Foundation...
Five Loyola University Maryland student athletes - (above, L-R) Rebekah Rogerson, Maddy Blakeman,...
Sunday, Feb 14 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Syracuse Syracuse, N.Y. 12:00 PM Wednesday, Feb 24 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Johns Hopkins Baltimore, Md. 5:00 PM Sunday, Feb 28 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Towson Ridley Athletic Complex 1:00 PM Video Saturday, Mar 5 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Penn State State College, Pa. 1:00 PM