Regular-Season Finale For Women's Lax Saturday At No. 2 Syracuse
May 1, 2014
|Opponent||No. 2 Syracuse Orange|
|Date||Saturday, May 3, 2014|
|Location||Syracuse, New York | Carrier Dome|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
Patriot League Champions
• The Greyhounds won their third conference title (BIG EAST in 2011 and 2012, Patriot League 2014) in four years and will advance to their fourth-straight NCAA Tournament this season.
• Three Greyhounds, in addition to head coach Jen Adams, earned major awards from the league, with junior Annie Thomas being named the Offensive Player of the Year, senior Marlee Paton earning Midfielder of the Year and sophomore Maddy Lesher picked up Defender of the Year accolades. Adams was voted the league’s Coach of the Year, while Paton was the Tournament MVP.
• Juniors Hannah Schmitt and Taryn VanThof joined Lesher, Paton and Thomas on the All-Patriot League First Team, while senior Katherine Reinhard was included on the second team, giving the Greyhounds more all-conference honorees than any other school in the league.
• Paton and Reinhard were also included on the 12-member Academic All-Patriot League Team.
Things To Know
• Loyola currently has the second-longest active win streak in the NCAA, winning its last 12 games.
• The Greyhounds wrapped up their ninth undefeated conference season this year, winning the Patriot League with an 8-0 record. Loyola won the SALC in 1990 with a 4-0 record, while they won seven CAA regular-season titles with perfect records as league members from 1992-2002.
• Two Greyhounds have scoring streaks of longer than 10 games, as junior Annie Thomas has had a point in the last 36 games she has played and junior Taryn VanThof has scored in the last 27.
• VanThof broke the school’s single game, single season and career draw control records this season.
• Paton is looking to become the first Greyhound with 100 goals, 100 assists, 100 points, 100 ground balls, 100 draw controls and 100 caused turnovers in their career. She needs four assists and four draw controls to hit the plateau.
• Paton and Thomas are also trying to become the first Greyhound in program history with 100 goals and 100 assists. They both have 100 goals, while Paton has 96 assists and Thomas has 93.
Loyola Greyhounds (14-4, 8-0 Patriot League)
• Loyola, ranked sixth in the NCAA in points, has one of the most balanced attacks in the nation with nine Greyhounds contributing double-digit goals this year.
• Senior Marlee Paton, a Tewaaraton Award semifinalist, is ranked 14th nationally with 67 points, while junior Annie Thomas is 16th with 71 points. Thomas is also 12th in the NCAA with 35 assists this year, while Paton is 24th in goals (47) and 10th in caused turnovers (34).
• Junior Taryn VanThof is ranked fifth nationally in draw controls, winning 108 this year.
• Defensively, the Greyhounds rank eighth in the NCAA in caused turnovers, averaging 10.0 per game, while they’re defense is 14th by giving up just 8.06 goals per game.
Syracuse Orange (17-2, 6-1 ACC)
• Kayla Treanor, ranked No. 1 in the NCAA in points and second in goals, and Alyssa Murray, fifth in the NCAA in points, lead Syracuse’s offense, which ranks second nationally with 399 points
• Treanor has 98 points (66 goals, 32 assists), while Murray has 47 goals and 33 assists for 80 points.
• Led by Kailah Kempney’s 91 draws, the Orange are seventh in the NCAA with 14.79 per game.
• In goal, Kelsey Richardson and Alyssa Costantino are splitting time with the two combining for an 8.58 goals-against average and a .378 save percentage.
• Syracuse holds the lead in the series between the former BIG EAST rivals, winning eight of 13 games.
• The squads have split the last four meetings, but prior to that, the Orange had won five-straight.
• Loyola claimed the last meeting in the Carrier Dome, a 13-7 win in the 2012 BIG EAST title game.
• Syracuse owns the most recent meeting though, a 19-9 win at Ridley Athletic Complex last year.
• The Greyhounds will find out who they will play in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Sunday, May 4 when the NCAA Selection Show is aired on NCAA.com at 9 p.m.
Wood Named Director Of Women's Lacrosse Operations
Loyola University Maryland head coach Jen Adams announced Tuesday that Charlotte Wood will join...
Burke And Reinhard Named To IWLCA Academic...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team was recognized as a 2014 Division I IWLCA...
Registration For 12th-Annual DGA 5k Race On...
The 12th-annual Diane Geppi-Aikens 5k Race and 1-Mile Fun Walk will take place on Saturday,...
Loyola Student-Athletes Earn Patriot League...
Loyola University Maryland placed 136 student-athletes on the Patriot League Winter and Spring...
VanThof Selected To U.S. Women's Lacrosse...
Loyola University Maryland rising senior Taryn VanThof has been named to the prestigious 38-membe...
Loyola Women Become First NCAA Lacrosse Team To...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse returned safely from its foreign tour to London, ...
WLAX Concludes London Portion Of Tour; Heads To...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team concluded its stay in London, England on...
Women's Lacrosse Begins Trip To London And Cape...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team will depart for its international trip to...
There are no upcoming events.