Loyola Set To Face Notre Dame In BIG EAST Championship
May 1, 2012
|Opponent||No. 6 Notre Dame - BIG EAST Championship Semifinals|
|Date||Thursday, May 5, 2012|
|Location||Syracuse, N.Y. | Carrier Dome|
|Online Media||Live Stats|
|Television||CBS Sports Network|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
|Game Notes||Complete Game Notes in PDF Format|
• The Greyhounds will make their third appearance in the BIG EAST Championships this weekend, heading to Syracuse, N.Y., to face third-seeded Notre Dame on Thursday.
• The winner of the contest will advance to the title game to face the winner of No. 1 seed Syracuse vs. No. 4 seed Georgetown Sunday at 1 p.m.
• All three games of the tournament will be televised live on CBS College Sports. Todd Harris and Sheehan Stanwick Burch will provide the play-by-play and analysis.
BIG EAST Championship History
• The Greyhounds are 2-1 in two previous tournament appearances, winning last year’s conference title with a 12-10 victory over Notre Dame in the championship game.
Loyola Greyhounds (11-5, 7-1 BIG EAST)
• Sixteen Greyhounds have tallied goals for Loyola this season, while seven have reached double figures in scoring. Sophomore Marlee Paton leads the way with 74 points on 43 goals and 31 assists, while freshman Annie Thomas has 57 points on 34 goals and 23 assists.
• Freshman Hannah Schmitt is second on the team in goals (35) and third in points (39), while Sydney Thomas has 39 points on 20 goals and 19 assists. Junior Joanna Dalton has 22 points (19g, 3a) and classmate Cassandra Cursaro has 17 points (16g, 1a), while freshman Molly Hulseman has 14 points (13g, 1a).
• Defensively, senior Kellye Gallagher leads the BIG EAST with 52 ground balls and 43 caused turnovers, while classmate Ana Heneberry is ranked second in caused turnovers with 32.
• In goal, senior Kerry Stoothoff has a 10.03 GAA and is stopping 45.5 percent of shots faced.
Adams Earns 50th Career Victory
• With a 12-9 victory at Connecticut in Loyola’s regular-season finale, head coach Jen Adams earned her 50th career victory.
• Adams is in her fourth season at the helm of the Greyhounds and has posted an overall record of 50-21 and a 21-10 mark in BIG EAST play.
• She became one of three Greyhound coaches to reach 50 career wins, as Anne McCloskey concluded her 10-year career at Loyola in 1986 with a 103-43-4 record (.700). Diane Geppi-Aikens is the other, as she posted a 196-70 record (.737) in 15 seasons from 1989 through 2003.
Scouting Notre Dame (13-3, 6-2 BIG EAST)
• The Irish bring the No. 3 seed into the BIG EAST Tournament after posting a 6-2 record in conference play, falling to Loyola, 17-11, and Syracuse, 16-10.
• Maggie Tamasitis leads Notre Dame with 76 points, as she has dished out 56 of the team’s 101 assists. Lindsay Powell leads the team with 44 goals, while Jaimie Morrison has tallied 34.
• Defensively, Barbara Sullivan has a team-best 36 ground balls
Series Record vs. Notre Dame
• Notre Dame holds a 5-3 advantage in the series, but the Greyhounds have won the last three, including a 17-11 win earlier this season to hand the Fighting Irish their first loss of the year.
• The Greyhounds also earned a 13-10 win in South Bend, Ind., on April 3, 2011 and a 12-10 game in last year’s BIG EAST Championship game on May 7, 2011.
• This year’s freshman class became just the third group of first-year players to combine for 100 goals in Loyola’s women’s lacrosse program history, and the first to do so since 1984.
• This year’s group of Elizabeth Barranco, Kara Burke, Madison Formwalt, Molly Hulseman, Julie Morse, Hannah Schmitt, Annie Thomas and Sydney Thomas scored their 100th goal of the season in a 20-9 win over Villanova on Sunday, April 22. Barranco scored the goal - the first of her career - on a free position shot.
• Former Greyhounds Janet Eisenhut (62 goals), Lisa Gardill (22g), Linda Justice (31g), Jackie McCarthy (2g) and Diane Whitely (22g) hold the program record for freshman class goals scored in a season, combining for 139 of the team’s 189 goals in 1980.
• Anne Allen (56g), Kathy Barden (12g) and Andi Holthaus (37) are the only other freshmen in program history to combine for 100 goals in their first season, scoring 105 of the team’s 226 goals in 1984.
Scoring By Class
• More than half of Loyola’s goals this season have been scored by a member of this year’s freshman class, while nobody in this year’s senior class has recorded a goal.
• The freshman class notched its 100th goal in a 20-9 win over Villanova on Senior Day, a game in which the rookies scored 15 of the Greyhounds’ season-high 20 goals.
• Against No. 2 Syracuse, the rookies scored 10 of Loyola’s 12 goals.
• A newcomer has scored 115 of Loyola’s 204 goals have been scored by a newcomer (56.4 percent), while the sophomore class has notched 49 goals and the juniors are responsible for 40 goals.
Freshmen class 115 goals 50 assists 165 points
Sophomore class 49 goals 31 assists 80 points
Junior class 40 goals 12 assists 52 points
Senior class 0 goals 0 assists 0 points
• Freshman Annie Thomas dished out two assists vs. Villanova on Sunday, April 22 to move her season total to 21 helpers and break the program’s 32-year-old freshman record for assists (19) set by Janet Eisenhut in 1980.
• Classmate Sydney Thomas has also made her way onto the freshman records for assists, dishing out 19 this season to rank tied for second.
• In addition, Annie Thomas ranks fourth in the freshman records in points with 57 so far this season.
• Classmate Molly Hulseman also cracked into the top-five records in draw controls, as she has won 29 this season to rank fifth.
• Grace Gavin holds the freshman record for draw controls at 42 from 2008.
• See full chart on page 7.
Climbing The Charts
• Seniors Ana Heneberry became the second Greyhound in program history to reach 100 career ground balls and 100 career caused turnovers on Friday, March 30, while classmate Kellye Gallagher became the third on Thursday, April 5. Entering the week, Heneberry has 111 ground balls and 116 caused turnovers, while Gallagher has 147 ground balls and 115 caused turnovers.
• On Loyola’s all-time career caused turnovers record lists, Heneberry and Gallagher sit second and third, respectively, chasing Jen Albright’s school record of 130. Albright played from 2000-03.
Tip Of The Hat
• Seven Greyhounds have registered hat tricks this season, led by eight from freshmen Hannah Schmitt and Annie Thomas. Sophomore Marlee Paton is close behind with seven, while junior Joanna Dalton and freshman Sydney Thomas each have three.
• Junior Cassandra Cursaro and sophomore Ali Habicht have both tallied one.
Greyhounds Win Program-Best Seventh BIG EAST Game at UConn
• The Greyhounds scored seven of the game’s final eight goals to erase an 8-5 deficit and win 12-9.
• With the win, Loyola wraps up the regular season with a 7-1 BIG EAST record, a program best.
• Sophomore Marlee Paton led the way with a game-high four goals and three assists, while freshman Annie Thomas contributed three goals and one assist.
• Defensively, senior Kerry Stoothoff recorded her 19th career double-digit save game, turning back 11 shots.
Comeback Falls Short At No. 2 Syracuse
• Freshman Hannah Schmitt scored a career-high six goals and senior Kerry Stoothoff tied a career-high 16 saves, but it wouldn’t be enough as Loyola’s comeback fell short at No. 2 Syracuse.
• The Greyhounds trailed 13-7 with 16:50 to play, but the defense held the Orange scoreless for the remainder of the contest, while the offense scored five-straight goals to come within one score at 8:13. Loyola was unable to find its equalizer though as Syracuse fought off the Greyhounds’ two attempts at sending the game into overtime before running out the clock.
• In the final 10 seconds of the first half, Schmitt scored back-to-back goals in :07 to come one-second shy of Maryland’s Sarah Mollison’s NCAA record for consecutive scores (:06).
Lesher And VanThof Earn Corvias Patriot League ...
Redshirt senior Taryn VanThof and junior Maddy Lesher were named the Corvias Patriot League...
No. 16 Women's Lacrosse Beats Lehigh On The...
The No. 16 Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team beat Lehigh, 10-6, Saturday afternoon...
Lehigh Hosts No. 16 Women's Lacrosse...
The No. 16 Loyola women's lacrosse team will head to Lehigh Saturday for a 4 p.m., contest at...
Trio Of Hat Tricks Lead No. 16 Loyola WLAX To...
Seniors Kara Burke and Hannah Schmitt, in addition to junior Shannon Aikens, each recorded hat...
Women's Lax Hosts Bucknell In Game One Of...
The Loyola women's lacrosse team will host Bucknell in the first game of a lacrosse doubleheader ...
Burke And Schmitt Pick Up Women's Lacrosse...
A pair of Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse seniors picked up weekly awards for their...
Balanced Offense Leads No. 16 WLAX To Win Over ...
A season-high nine Greyhounds scored for the No. 16 Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse...
Patriot League Play Begins For Women's...
The Loyola women's lacrosse team will host Lafayette Saturday in the squad's Patriot League...
Wednesday, Apr 1 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Towson Towson, Md. 7:00 PM Saturday, Apr 4 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Colgate Ridley Athletic Complex 12:00 PM Video Wednesday, Apr 8 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE American Washington, D.C. 4:00 PM Saturday, Apr 11 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Boston University Ridley Athletic Complex 1:00 PM Video Saturday, Apr 18 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Navy Annapolis, Md. 12:00 PM Tuesday, Apr 21 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Patriot League Quarterfinals Higher Seed TBA