Greyhounds Begin BIG EAST Tournament Thursday At Georgetown
April 30, 2013
|BIG EAST Tournament||Tournament Central Page|
|Semifinal Opponent||No. 8 Georgetown Hoyas|
|Date||Thursday, May 2, 2013|
|Time||Approx. 7:45 p.m.|
|Location||Washington, DC | Multi-Sport Field|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video | Audio|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
Loyola Greyhounds (10-7, 6-2 BIG EAST)
• Loyola finished the regular season tied for second in the BIG EAST with Georgetown.
• Junior Marlee Paton leads Loyola with 33 goals, 53 points, 35 ground balls and 31 caused turnovers, while sophomore Taryn VanThof has a team-best 60 draw controls.
• In goal, Molly Wolf is allowing 9.47 goals per game and is stopping 42.9 percent of shots faced.
Loyola In The BIG EAST Tournament
• In three-straight tournament appearances, the Greyhounds have posted an overall record of 4-1, including winning two-straight BIG EAST titles - 2011 and 2012.
• The Greyhounds are currently riding a four-game win streak in tournament games.
• Loyola is 2-0 versus both Syracuse and Notre Dame in the tournament, but the Greyhounds’ lone loss came to Georgetown in 2010.
Loyola As The Third Seed
• Loyola won its first-ever BIG EAST title in 2011 as the No. 3 seed.
• The Greyhounds upset No. 2 Syracuse, 12-11, in the semifinals that year and went on to beat No. 4 Notre Dame, 12-10, in the title game. The Fighting Irish upset top-seeded Georgetown, 15-12, to advance to the championship game.
• The 2011 tournament was also hosted by Georgetown at Multi-Sport Field.
Series vs. Georgetown
• The Hoyas hold a narrow 8-6 advantage after winning this seasons meeting, 14-11.
• Since joining the BIG EAST, Loyola is 2-6 against Georgetown. The Greyhounds’ wins came in 2009, a 13-11 victory, and a 15-14 overtime win in 2012.
• No game has been decided by more than two goals since 2009, with two contests requiring overtime.
• The Hoyas were Loyola’s lone loss in an eight-game stretch midway through the season.
• Georgetown snapped a three-game win streak for the Greyhounds with a 14-11 win at Ridley Athletic Complex.
• The contest featured eight tie scores and four lead changes, but after junior Marlee Paton scored to tie the game at 10, the Hoyas went on to score four of the last five for the 14-11 victory.
• Sophomore Annie Thomas had four goals in the game, while Sophia Thomas matched that for Georgetown. Molly Wolf had seven saves in goal for the Greyhounds.
• The winner will advance to face the winner of the No. 1 seed Syracuse vs. No. 4 seed Connecticut game on Saturday at 1 p.m.
Schmitt, Thomas, VanThof To Play In IWLCA North...
Three Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse seniors - Hannah Schmitt, Annie Thomas and...
Geppi-Aikens To Be Inducted Into National...
Diane Geppi-Aikens, former Loyola University Maryland head women's lacrosse coach, will be...
Eight Greyhound Teams Recognized By NCAA For...
Eight Loyola University Maryland athletic teams were recognized Wednesday by the NCAA for being...
Thomas, VanThof, Lesher Pick Up IWLCA All-Ameri...
Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse senior Annie Thomas was named to the IWLCA All-Americ...
Syracuse Gets Past Women's Lacrosse, 10-7, In...
Kara Burke scored three goals and tied the Loyola University Maryland single-season record with...
Burke Earns Capital One Academic All-District...
Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse senior Kara Burke added another honor to her name on ...
Women's Lacrosse Seniors Celebrate Commencement...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team gathered Thursday afternoon to celebrate a...
NCAA Quarterfinal Round Features Loyola,...
The No. 13 Loyola women's lacrosse team will return to Syracuse for the second time in two weeks ...
Saturday, Oct 10 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Florida & Virginia Ridley Athletic Complex 11:00 AM Sunday, Oct 11 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE North Carolina Ridley Athletic Complex 12:00 PM Sunday, Oct 25 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Maryland, Denver & Penn Ridley Athletic Complex 10:30 AM