Patriot League Newcomers Play For Women's Lax Title Saturday
April 25, 2014
|Opponent||Boston University Terriers|
|Date||Saturday, April 26, 2014|
|Location||Baltimore, Maryland | Ridley Athletic Complex|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
Newcomers Playing For The Title
• In their first-year in the Patriot League, Loyola and Boston University will play for the conference title and the league’s automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.
• Loyola earned the top seed and home site after winning the Patriot League with an 8-0 record.
• The Greyhounds had a bye through the quarterfinal round and knocked off fourth-seeded Holy Cross, 14-10, on Thursday in the semifinals at Ridley Athletic Complex.
• Boston University earned the third-seed and beat sixth-seeded Lehigh, 14-9, in the quarterfinals in Boston on Tuesday, before upsetting second-seeded Navy, 13-12 at Ridley Thursday night.
Things To Know
• The Greyhounds are playing for their third conference title (they won the BIG EAST in 2011 and 2012) and fourth-straight NCAA Tournament appearance in the last four years.
• Three Greyhounds, in addition to head coach Jen Adams, earned major awards from the league, with junior Annie Thomas being named the Offensive Player of the Year, senior Marlee Paton earning Midfielder of the Year and sophomore Maddy Lesher picked up Defender of the Year accolades. Adams was voted the league’s Coach of the Year.
• Juniors Hannah Schmitt and Taryn VanThof joined Lesher, Paton and Thomas on the All-Patriot League First Team, while senior Katherine Reinhard was included on the second team, giving the Greyhounds more all-conference honorees than any other school in the league.
• Paton and Reinhard were also included on the 12-member Academic All-Patriot League Team.
• Loyola currently has the second-longest active win streak in the NCAA, winning its last 11 games.
• The Greyhounds completed their 11th 10-plus-game win streak in program history, beating Navy. The last 10-plus win streak was when Loyola opened the 2011 season with 12-straight wins.
• Loyola also wrapped up its ninth undefeated conference season this year. The Greyhounds won the SALC in 1990 with a 4-0 record, while they also won seven CAA regular-season titles with perfect records as league members from 1992-2002.
• Two Greyhounds have scoring streaks of longer than 10 games, as junior Annie Thomas has had a point in the last 35 games she has played and junior Taryn VanThof has scored in the last 26.
• VanThof broke the school’s single game, single season and career draw control records this season.
• Paton is looking to become the first Greyhound with 100 goals, 100 assists, 100 points, 100 ground balls, 100 draw controls and 100 caused turnovers in their career.
Loyola Greyhounds (13-4, 8-0 Patriot League)
• Loyola, ranked ninth in the NCAA in points, has one of the most balanced attacks in the nation with nine Greyhounds contributing double-digit goals this year.
• Junior Annie Thomas leads the squad and is ranked 14th nationally with 68 points, while senior Marlee Paton is ranked 23rd nationally with 67 points. Thomas also leads the team and is ranked ninth in the NCAA with 33 assists this season.
• Junior Taryn VanThof is ranked nationally in draw controls, sitting sixth with 101 won.
• Anchored by sophomore Molly Wolf in goal, the Greyhounds’ defense ranks 11th nationally, giving up just 8.12 goals per game.
Boston University Terriers (9-9, 5-3 Patriot League)
• Lindsay Weiner leads the attack with 38 points this year on 18 goals and a team-best 20 points, while Jill Horka is second with 34 points (27g, 7a) and Becca Church is one point behind at 33 with 28 goals and five assists.
• Horka also leads the midfield with 43 draw controls, 32 ground balls and 25 caused turnovers.
• In goal, Caroline Meegan and Christina Sheridan have split time, combining for a 10.89 goals-against average and a .405 save percentage.
Last Meeting With The Terriers
• Led by junior Taryn VanThof, Loyola won 14 of 16 first-half draws to take a 10-5 halftime lead.
• Boston University scored three of five goals to open the second half, but the Greyhounds closed out the game with seven-straight goals to earn a 19-8 victory.
No. 16 Women's Lacrosse Beats Lehigh On The...
The No. 16 Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team beat Lehigh, 10-6, Saturday afternoon...
Lehigh Hosts No. 16 Women's Lacrosse...
The No. 16 Loyola women's lacrosse team will head to Lehigh Saturday for a 4 p.m., contest at...
Trio Of Hat Tricks Lead No. 16 Loyola WLAX To...
Seniors Kara Burke and Hannah Schmitt, in addition to junior Shannon Aikens, each recorded hat...
Women's Lax Hosts Bucknell In Game One Of...
The Loyola women's lacrosse team will host Bucknell in the first game of a lacrosse doubleheader ...
Burke And Schmitt Pick Up Women's Lacrosse...
A pair of Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse seniors picked up weekly awards for their...
Balanced Offense Leads No. 16 WLAX To Win Over ...
A season-high nine Greyhounds scored for the No. 16 Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse...
Patriot League Play Begins For Women's...
The Loyola women's lacrosse team will host Lafayette Saturday in the squad's Patriot League...
Schmitt's Overtime Heroics Get Women's ...
Senior Hannah Schmitt scored three overtime goals and the No. 16 Loyola University Maryland women...
Saturday, Mar 28 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Holy Cross Worcester, Mass. 12:00 PM Live Stats | Video
Wednesday, Apr 1 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Towson Towson, Md. 7:00 PM Saturday, Apr 4 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Colgate Ridley Athletic Complex 12:00 PM Video Wednesday, Apr 8 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE American Washington, D.C. 4:00 PM Saturday, Apr 11 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Boston University Ridley Athletic Complex 1:00 PM Video Saturday, Apr 18 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Navy Annapolis, Md. 12:00 PM