No. 14 Loyola Wraps Up Regular Season At No. 2 Syracuse And UConn
April 25, 2012
|Date||Friday, April 27, 2012|
|Location||Syracuse, N.Y. | SU Soccer Stadium|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video | Audio|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
|Game Notes||Complete Game Notes in PDF Format|
|Date||Sunday, April 29, 2011|
|Location||Storrs, Conn. | George J. Sherman Family-Sports Complex|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
• Loyola and Syracuse enter the weekend undefeated in BIG EAST play, with identical 6-0 records. The winner of Friday’s game will earn at least a share of the regular-season BIG EAST title and will be the top seed in next week’s conference tournament at Syracuse’s Carrier Dome.
Loyola Greyhounds (10-4, 6-0 BIG EAST)
• Sixteen Greyhounds have tallied goals for Loyola this season, while seven have reached double figures in scoring. Sophomore Marlee Paton leads the way with 65 points on 37 goals and 28 assists, while freshman Annie Thomas has 51 points on 30 goals and 21 assists.
• Freshman Sydney Thomas is third on the team with 33 points (19g, 14a) and classmate Hannah Schmitt is at 32 points on 28 goals and four assists. Juniors Joanna Dalton has 22 points (19g, 3a) and Cassandra Cursaro have 17 points (16g, 1a) and freshman Molly Hulseman has 14 points (13g, 1a).
• Defensively, senior Kellye Gallagher leads the BIG EAST with 47 ground balls and 39 caused turnovers, while classmate Ana Heneberry is ranked second in caused turnovers with 30.
• In goal, senior Kerry Stoothoff has a 9.88 GAA and is stopping 43.4 percent of shots faced.
Scouting Syracuse (13-2, 6-0 BIG EAST)
• Syracuse leads the league in goals (15.87), assists (7.27), points (23.13) and draw controls (14.87) this season, while also posting the leagues best GAA (8.61) and save percentage (.555).
• Alyssa Murray has led the Orange to a 12-game win streak, recording a league-best 80 points on 54 goals and 26 assists. She is helped offensively by BIG EAST Preseason Offensive Player of the Year Michelle Tumolo, who has 33 goals and 33 assists. Eight Orange have reached double figures in goals this year, while 10 have notched double-digit points.
• Defensively, Becca Block leads the team with 22 ground balls and 12 caused turnovers.
Series Record vs. Syracuse
• The Orange lead the Greyhounds, 6-4, in a series record that dates back to 2003.
• Loyola won the first two meetings and three of the first four, but Syracuse claimed a string of five-straight games from 2007-11 to take a 6-3 lead in the series.
• The Greyhounds snapped their losing streak with a 12-11 win in last year’s BIG EAST Tournament.
Scouting Connecticut (9-5, 2-4 BIG EAST)
• M.E. Lapham leads UConn with 44 goals and 12 assists this seaon, while Kiersten Tupper has a team-best 15 assists and 42 points.
• Defensively, Brittney Testa has a team-best 30 ground balls, while Lauren Kahn leads the way with 15 caused turnovers.
• In goal, Testa has posted an 11.35 goals-against average and is stopping 46.5 percent of shots faced.
Series Record vs. Connecticut
• Loyola holds a 5-1 lead over UConn in the all-time series, including winning the last four straight.
• On the road, the Greyhounds are 1-1 vs. the Huskies.
BIG EAST Honors
• Sophomore Marlee Paton earned her second BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Week this season on April 23 after recording 15 points on nine goals and six assists in wins over Rutgers and Villanova.
• Senior Kellye Gallagher was also named to the BIG EAST Honor Roll for her play in the two games.
• Paton tied a career-high with nine points in the win over Rutgers, with five goals and four assists.
• Against Villanova, despite being face guarded, Paton had a game-high four goals and two assists.
• Gallagher won a career-high five draw controls in a win over Rutgers and tallied five ground balls and four caused turnovers against Villanova.
Adams Goes For 50th Career Win
• Head coach Jen Adams takes a career record of 49-20 in just four seasons at the helm of Loyola’s women’s lacrosse program into this weekend.
• Adams is looking to become one of three Greyhound coaches to reach 50 career wins, as Anne McCloskey concluded her 10-year career at Loyola in 1986 with a 103-43-4 record (.700).
• Diane Geppi-Aikens is the other, as she posted a 196-70 record (.737) in 15 seasons from 1989 through 2003.
• This year’s freshman class became just the third group of first-year players to combine for 100 goals in Loyola’s women’s lacrosse program history, and the first to do so since 1984.
• This year’s group of Kathleen Barranco, Kara Burke, Madison Formwalt, Molly Hulseman, Julie Morse, Hannah Schmitt, Annie Thomas and Sydney Thomas scored their 100th goal of the season in a 20-9 win over Villanova on Sunday, April 22. Barranco scored the goal - the first of her career - on a free position shot.
• Former Greyhounds Janet Eisenhut (62 goals), Lisa Gardill (22g), Linda Justice (31g), Jackie McCarthy (2g) and Diane Whitely (22g) hold the program record for freshman class goals scored in a season, combining for 139 of the team’s 189 goals in 1980.
• Anne Allen (56g), Kathy Barden (12g) and Andi Holthaus (37) are the only other freshmen in program history to combine for 100 goals in their first season, scoring 105 of the team’s 226 goals in 1984.
Scoring By Class
• More than half of Loyola’s goals this season have been scored by a member of this year’s freshman class, while nobody in this year’s senior class has recorded a goal.
• The freshman class notched its 100th goal in a 20-9 win over Villanova on Senior Day, a game in which the rookies scored 15 of the Greyhounds’ season-high 20 goals.
• One hundred of Loyola’s 180 goals have been scored by a newcomer (55.6 percent), while the sophomore class has notched 42 goals and the juniors are responsible for 37 goals.
Freshmen class 100 goals 42 assists 142 points
Sophomore class 42 goals 28 assists 70 points
Junior class 37 goals 11 assists 48 points
Senior class 0 goals 0 assists 0 points
• Freshman Annie Thomas dished out two assists vs. Villanova on Sunday, April 22 to move her season total to 21 helpers and break the program’s 32-year-old freshman record for assists (19) set by Janet Eisenhut in 1980.
• Thomas also ranks fourth in the freshman records in points with 51 so far this season.
• Classmate Molly Hulseman also cracked into the top-five records in draw controls, as she has won 28 this season to tie Emily Gibson (2007) and Abby Rehfuss (2008).
• Grace Gavin holds the freshman record at 42 from 2008.
• See full chart on page 7.
Climbing The Charts
• Seniors Ana Heneberry became the second Greyhound in program history to reach 100 career ground balls and 100 career caused turnovers on Friday, March 30, while classmate Kellye Gallagher became the third on Thursday, April 5. Entering the week, Heneberry has 109 ground balls and 114 caused turnovers, while Gallagher has 142 ground balls and 111 caused turnovers.
• On Loyola’s all-time career caused turnovers record lists, Heneberry and Gallagher sit second and third, respectively, chasing Jen Albright’s school record of 130. Albright played from 2000-03.
Tip Of The Hat
• Seven Greyhounds have registered hat tricks this season, led by seven from freshmen Hannah Schmitt and Annie Thomas. Sophomore Marlee Paton is close behind with six, while junior Joanna Dalton and freshman Sydney Thomas each have three.
• Junior Cassandra Cursaro and sophomore Ali Habicht have both tallied one.
• Sophomore Marlee Paton recorded her 100th career point in Loyola’s 15-11 win over Rutgers on Friday, April 20. She tied a career-high nine points in the game on five goals and four assists.
• Loyola will return to Syracuse for the 2012 BIG EAST Tournament at the Carrier Dome.
• First round games are set for Thursday, May 3, with the title game on Saturday, May 5.
Wolf Collects Second Corvias ECAC Defensive...
Loyola University Maryland women’s lacrosse senior goalkeeper Molly Wolf picked up her...
Wolf Earns Third Corvias Patriot League...
Loyola University Maryland women’s lacrosse senior goalkeeper Molly Wolf has been named the...
WLAX Captures Patriot League Regular Season...
Senior Molly Wolf recorded a career-best 15 saves to help the Loyola University Maryland capture ...
Lafayette Hosts Women's Lacrosse Saturday...
The Loyola women's lacrosse team will head to Lafayette to face the Leopards Saturday at 3 p.m....
WLAX Beats Bucknell, Clinches Share Of Regular-...
Nine Greyhounds scored as the Loyola University Maryland women’s lacrosse team picked up a ...
Clark Named Corvias Patriot League Midfield...
Loyola University Maryland women’s lacrosse junior Emily Clark has been named the Corvias...
Clark's Game-Winner In Overtime Helps Women's...
The Lehigh women's lacrosse team closed out regulation by scoring five-straight goals, but junior...
Women's Lax Hosts Lehigh In Key Patriot...
The Loyola women's lacrosse team hosts Lehigh in a key Patriot League matchup Saturday at 3 p.m. ...
Friday, May 6 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Patriot League Semifinals Ridley Athletic Complex TBA Sunday, May 8 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Patriot League Championship Game Ridley Athletic Complex TBA