No. 12 Women's Lax Draws Holy Cross In Semifinals Of PL Tournament
April 23, 2014
|Opponent||Holy Cross Crusaders | Patriot League Semifnals|
|Date||Thursday, April 24|
|Location||Baltimore, Maryland | Ridley Athletic Complex|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
Things To Know
• Loyola won the Patriot League regular season title with an undefeated 8-0 record in league play.
• The Greyhounds are playing for their third conference title (they won the BIG EAST in 2011 and 2012) and fourth-straight NCAA Tournament appearance in the last four years.
• Three Greyhounds, in addition to head coach Jen Adams, earned major awards from the league, with junior Annie Thomas being named the Offensive Player of the Year, senior Marlee Paton earning Midfielder of the Year and sophomore Maddy Lesher picked up Defender of the Year accolades. Adams was voted the league’s Coach of the Year.
• Juniors Hannah Schmitt and Taryn VanThof joined Lesher, Paton and Thomas on the All-Patriot League First Team, while senior Katherine Reinhard was included on the second team, giving the Greyhounds more all-conference honorees than any other school in the league.
• Loyola currently has the second-longest active win streak in the NCAA, winning its last 10 games.
• The Greyhounds completed their 11th 10-plus-game win streak in program history, beating Navy. The last 10-plus win streak was when Loyola opened the 2011 season with 12-straight wins.
• Loyola also wrapped up its ninth undefeated conference season this year. The Greyhounds won the SALC in 1990 with a 4-0 record, while they also won seven CAA regular-season titles with perfect records as league members from 1992-2002.
• Two Greyhounds have scoring streaks of longer than 10 games, as junior Annie Thomas has had a point in the last 34 games she has played and junior Taryn VanThof has scored in the last 25.
• VanThof broke the school’s single game, single season and career draw control records this season.
• Paton is looking to become the first Greyhound with 100 goals, 100 assists, 100 points, 100 ground balls, 100 draw controls and 100 caused turnovers in their career.
Loyola Greyhounds (12-4, 8-0 Patriot League)
• Loyola, ranked ninth in the NCAA in points, has one of the most balanced attacks in the nation with nine Greyhounds contributing double-digit goals this year.
• Junior Annie Thomas leads the squad and is ranked 14th nationally with 66 points, while senior Marlee Paton is ranked 23rd nationally with 62 points. Thomas also leads the team and is ranked ninth in the NCAA with 33 assists this season.
• Junior Taryn VanThof is ranked nationally in draw controls, sitting sixth with 96 won.
• Anchored by sophomore Molly Wolf in goal, the Greyhounds’ defense ranks 11th nationally, giving up just 8.00 goals per game.
Holy Cross Crusaders (7-11, 4-4 Patriot League)
• Holy Cross made it to the semifinals of the tournament after knocking off Colgate, 11-8, Tuesday.
• Four Crusaders were named to the All-Patriot League teams, with midfielder Sara Hennessey being tabbed to the first team and Kate Martino (attack), Laura Ryan (attack) and Sophia Agostinelli (defense) picking up second-team honors.
• Ryan leads the team with 38 points this season, scoring 26 goals to go with 12 assists. She also has a team-best 37 ground balls and 26 caused turnovers.
• Hennessey, playing in 13 of 18 games, has a team-high 29 goals, while Martino has 45 draws.
• In goal, Sarah Weber has played 985 minutes, posting a 9.56 GAA and .410 save percentage.
Last Meeting With The Crusaders
• Loyola handed the Crusaders, playing without first-team All-Patriot League midfielder Sara Hennessey, a 19-5 loss at Ridley Athletic Complex on Saturday, March 29.
• Junior Annie Thomas led the Greyhounds with seven points on one goal and six assists, while senior Marlee Paton had a game-high four goals and two assists for six points.
• Juniors Molly Hulseman (4 goals) and Kara Burke (3g) and sophomore Maddy Blakeman (3g) also had hat tricks in the game.
• Kate Martino led Holy Cross with three goals, while Sarah Weber picked up 12 saves in goal.
• The winner will advance to Saturday's championship game at 1 p.m., to face the winner of No. 2 seed Navy and third-seeded Boston University.
• Navy and BU will play in the second semifinal Thursday night at 7:30 p.m.
Women's Lacrosse Hosts Navy In Patriot...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team will take on Navy Sunday at 1 p.m., in the...
Women's Lacrosse Advances To PL Title Game With...
The 16th-ranked Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse picked up a 14-7 win over Boston...
Women's Lacrosse Hosts Boston U. In...
The No. 16 Loyola women's lacrosse team hosts Boston University Friday at 5 p.m., in the...
Burke Named PL Scholar-Athlete Of The Year;...
Loyola University Maryland senior Kara Burke has been named the Corvias Patriot League Women's...
Lesher, Thomas, VanThof Earn Major Awards;...
After going undefeated in the Patriot League for a second-straight season, Loyola University...
Burke, VanThof And Wolf Named Corvias Patriot...
Seniors Kara Burke and Taryn VanThof, in addition to junior Molly Wolf, have been named the final...
Women's Lacrosse Downs Navy To Win Patriot...
The No. 16 Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team snapped Navy's 10-game win streak at ...
Navy And Women's Lax Play For Regular-Seaso...
Navy will host No. 16 Loyola Saturday in a game that will determine the Patriot League regular-se...
Friday, May 8 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE NCAA First Round Campus Sites TBA Sunday, May 10 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE NCAA Second Round Campus Sites TBA Saturday, May 16 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE NCAA Quarterfinals Campus Sites TBA Sunday, May 17 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE NCAA Quarterfinals Campus Sites TBA Friday, May 22 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE NCAA Semifinals PPL Park, Philadelphia TBA Sunday, May 24 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE NCAA Championship Game PPL Park, Philadelphia TBA