No. 11 Loyola Travels To No. 15 Cornell For Non-Conference Tilt
April 10, 2012
|Opponent||Cornell Big Red|
|Date||Saturday, April 14, 2012|
|Location||Ithaca, N.Y. | Schoellkopf Field|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
|Game Notes||Complete Game Notes in PDF Format|
• The Greyhounds will step out of BIG EAST play for its final non-conference regular season contest on Saturday, heading to No. 15 Cornell for a 1 p.m. game.
• With four-straight BIG EAST wins, the Greyhounds have tied their best start in conference play in program history (4-0 in 2011).
Loyola Greyhounds (8-3, 4-0 BIG EAST)
• Loyola is coming off four-straight conference wins, including a 17-8 victory at Louisville on Thursday, April 4. With four BIG EAST wins, the Greyhounds open league play with a 4-0 record for the second-straight year and join Syracuse as the only teams left unbeaten in league play.
• All seven of Loyola’s starting attackers have reached double figures in scoring this season, led by sophomore Marlee Paton’s 47 points on 27 goals and 20 assists. Freshman Annie Thomas has 16 assists and sits second on the team with 37 points, while classmates Sydney Thomas (16g, 10a) and Hannah Schmitt (20g, 3a) are third and fourth in scoring, respectively.
• Juniors Cass Cursaro (16g, 1a) and Joanna Dalton (14g, 2a) have also recorded double-figures in scoring, while freshman Molly Hulseman (9g, 1a) round out the starting attackers.
• Defensively, senior Kellye Gallagher leads the nation in ground balls (40) and caused turnovers (32), while classmate Ana Heneberry is ranked eighth nationally in caused turnovers (22).
• In goal, senior Kerry Stoothoff is ranked second in the league in save percentage (.466) and is third in goals-against average, allowing 9.21 per game.
Scouting Cornell (7-3, 3-2 IVY League)
• Cornell has lost three of its last five games, including three to top-10 opponents. The Big Red dropped a 17-13 decision to No. 7 Notre Dame, an 11-10 game to No. 8 Penn and a 12-10 contest to No. 6 Dartmouth. Cornell also earned a 23-13 win at Jacksonville and knocked off No. 16 Princeton, 13-12, in overtime on the road.
• The Big Red are led offensively by Jessi Steinberg’s 48 points on a team-best 33 goals and 15 assists. Olivia Knotts is second with 37 points (24g, 13a), while Caroline Salisbury is third at 36 points (22g, 14a).
• Defensively, Cacki Helmer leads the way with 30 ground balls and 18 caused turnovers.
• In goal, Kyla Dambach is 5-2 with a 10.16 goals-against average and a .355 save percentage. Courtney Gallagher holds a 2-1 record and is allowing 10.48 goals per game, while stopping 40.3 percent of shots faced.
Series Record vs. Cornell
• The Greyhounds hold a narrow 3-2 advantage over the Big Red in the all-time series.
• Cornell won the first meeting, 13-10, in Baltimore in 2007, and followed that up with a 16-5 win in 2008 on its home field.
• Loyola has won the last three though, 16-9, 11-9 and 14-8, respectively.
• In Ithaca, N.Y., the two squads are tied at 1-1.
Scoring By Class
• More than half of Loyola’s goals this season have been scored by a member of this year’s freshman class, while nobody in this year’s senior class has recorded a goal.
• Seventy one of Loyola’s 135 goals have been scored by a newcomer, while the sophomore class has notched 32 goals and the juniors are responsible for 25 goals.
Freshmen class 71 goals 30 assists 101 points
Sophomore class 32 goals 20 assists 52 points
Junior class 32 goals 7 assists 39 points
Senior class 0 goals 0 assists 0 points
• With two assists at No. 13 Georgetown, freshman Annie Thomas moved her rookie season total to 12 to tie Colleen O’Keefe (2007) for 10th on Loyola’s all-time freshmen records.
• She then dished out three more in a 2-0 week vs. Cincinnati and No. 6 Notre Dame to move into a tie for second place with Abby Rehfuss (2008) at 15. With one at Louisville, Thomas moved into sole posession of second place with 16.
• Janet Eisenhut holds the freshman record for assists at 19 from 1980.
• See full chart on page 7.
Climbing The Charts
• Seniors Ana Heneberry became the second Greyhound in program history to reach 100 career ground balls and 100 career caused turnovers on Friday, March 30, while classmate Kellye Gallagher became the third on Thursday, April 5. Entering the week, Heneberry has 104 ground balls and 106 caused turnovers, while Gallagher has 135 ground balls and 104 caused turnovers.
• On Loyola’s all-time career caused turnovers record lists, Heneberry and Gallagher sit second and third, respectively, chasing Jen Albright’s school record of 130. Albright played from 2000-03.
• Senior Kellye Gallagher leads the nation in ground balls (3.64) and is second in caused turnovers (2.91) per game, while senior Ana Heneberry is ranked tied for eighth with 2.00 caused turnovers per game.
• Senior goalkeeper Kerry Stoothoff is ranked in the top 50 of five statistical categories, including being 15th in goals-against average (9.22) and save percentage (.466). She is also ranked tied for 21st in ground balls (2.82), tied for 38th in saves per game (7.36) and tied for 44th in saves (81).
• Sophomore Marlee Paton and freshman Annie Thomas are also ranked nationally in assists and assists per game, as Paton’s 20 assists is tied for 27th and her 1.82 per game average is ranked 26th. Thomas’ 16 assists rank tied for 50th, while her per game average of 1.45 is ranked tied for 47th.
• Paton is also ranked 22nd with 4.27 points per game and tied for 40th with 47 points this season.
• As a team, Loyola is ranked second in caused turnovers (12.09) and third in ground balls per game (20.82).
BIG EAST Honors
• Senior Kellye Gallagher earned her second BIG EAST Defensive Player of the Week honor on April 9 after causing a game-high five turnovers and scooping up four ground balls in a 17-8 win at Louisville.
• Gallagher caused back-to-back turnovers on the Cardinals’ first two possessions of the game to allow the Greyhounds to take a 3-0 lead and keep Louisville off the board until the 22:05 mark.
• Sophomore Marlee Paton was also named to the Honor Roll on April 9 after recording a career-high nine points on four goals and a personal-best five assists.
Loyola Ties Best BIG EAST Start With Win At Louisville
• Junior Joanna Dalton, sophomore Marlee Paton and freshman Annie Thomas all scored four goals as Loyola matched its best-ever start in BIG EAST play (4-0) with a 17-8 win at Louisville.
• Paton notched a career-high nine points on four goals and a personal-best five assists, while Dalton scored a career-high four goals. Thomas tied a career-high four goals and five points, while classmate Sydney Thomas dished out a personal-best four assists for a career-high six points.
• Defensively, senior Kellye Gallagher became the third Greyhound in program history to reach 100 career ground balls and 100 caused turnovers, finishing the game with four ground balls and five caused turnovers.
• Junior Ashley Moulton also had a career-best game, scooping up four ground balls, winning three draw controls and causing three turnovers.
• The Greyhounds will host their final regular-season conference weekend with Rutgers and Villanova visiting Ridley Athletic Complex on Friday and Sunday, respectively.
• Loyola will face the Scarlet Knights at 7 p.m., before hosting the Wildcats on Senior Day at 1 p.m.
Burke Named PL Scholar-Athlete Of The Year;...
Loyola University Maryland senior Kara Burke has been named the Corvias Patriot League Women's...
Lesher, Thomas, VanThof Earn Major Awards;...
After going undefeated in the Patriot League for a second-straight season, Loyola University...
Burke, VanThof And Wolf Named Corvias Patriot...
Seniors Kara Burke and Taryn VanThof, in addition to junior Molly Wolf, have been named the final...
Women's Lacrosse Downs Navy To Win Patriot...
The No. 16 Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team snapped Navy's 10-game win streak at ...
Navy And Women's Lax Play For Regular-Seaso...
Navy will host No. 16 Loyola Saturday in a game that will determine the Patriot League regular-se...
Thomas Picks Up Corvias Patriot League Player...
Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse senior Annie Thomas has become the third Greyhound to...
Women's Lax Downs BU To Clinch First-Round Bye ...
With a 9-6 win over Boston University at Ridley Athletic Complex Saturday afternoon, the 17th-ran...
Women's Lax Hosts Boston U. For Friends Of...
The Loyola women's lacrosse team will host Boston University in a rematch of last year's Patriot ...
Sunday, Apr 26 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Navy Ridley Athletic Complex W, 14-9 Video Saturday, May 2 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Syracuse Ridley Athletic Complex 1:00 PM Video Friday, May 8 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE NCAA First Round Campus Sites TBA Sunday, May 10 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE NCAA Second Round Campus Sites TBA Saturday, May 16 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE NCAA Quarterfinals Campus Sites TBA Sunday, May 17 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE NCAA Quarterfinals Campus Sites TBA