No. 14 Women's Lacrosse Heads To Colgate Saturday
April 4, 2014
|Date||Saturday, April 5, 2014|
|Location||Hamilton, New York | Tyler's Field|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
• Loyola was voted the preseason Patriot League favorite, while senior Marlee Paton was named the Preseason Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year.
• Three Greyhounds have scoring streaks of longer than 10 games, as junior Annie Thomas has contributed a point in the last 30 games she has played, junior Taryn VanThof has scored a goal in the last 21 games and junior Kara Burke has had a point in 12-straight contests.
• Junior Taryn VanThof leads the Patriot League with 66 draw controls and is 10 shy of tying the 30-year-old single-season school record set by Rita Ciletti at 76 in 1984 (Michelle Meyer tied it in 1994). VanThof is also nine draws shy of the program’s career record, set by Meyer (1993-97) at 180.
• Thomas was named this week’s Patriot League Offensive Player of the Week for a third time and for the second week in a row, while she also earned ECAC Offensive Player of the Week and Baltimore Sun National Player of the Week honors.
• Loyola currently owns the sixth-longest active win streak the NCAA, winning its last six games.
Last Time Out
• The Greyhounds used a full team effort to beat Holy Cross, 19-5, at home on Saturday.
• Junior Molly Hulseman contributed a career-best four goals and two assists for her first collegiate hat trick, while sophomore Maddy Blakeman also notched her first hat trick with three goals.
• In goal, freshman Taylor Caldwell started and played the entire second half, stopping a career-high six shots while allowing just one goal.
Loyola Greyhounds (8-4, 4-0 Patriot League)
• Six Greyhounds have recorded double-digit goals, while eight have contributed double-digit points.
• Senior Marlee Paton leads the team with 30 goals and 45 points, while junior Annie Thomas is second on the team with 45 points, scoring 20 goals to go with a team-best 20 assists.
• Juniors Hannah Schmitt and Taryn VanThof have 26 points on 20 goals and six assists each, while classmates Molly Hulseman (15g, 10a) and Kara Burke (18g, 3a) have 25 and 21 points, respectively.
• Junior Sydney Thomas has notched 12 points on six goals and six assists, while senior Ali Habicht has hit 10 points on seven goals and three assists.
• VanThof leads the team with 66 draw controls and 30 ground balls, while Paton and VanThof share the lead in caused turnovers with 21 each.
• In goal, sophomore Molly Wolf has 78 saves, a .446 save percentage and a 9.06 goals-against average.
Colgate Raiders (4-6, 2-2 Patriot League)
• Colgate saw its three-game win streak snapped on Saturday with a 13-2 loss to Navy.
• Megan Ark leads the Raiders with 29 goals and 36 points this year, while Kallan Murray has a team-high 16 assists and is second with 24 points.
• In goal, Jennie Berglin has played 575 minutes, posting a 10.95 GAA and a .439 save percentage.
Series Record vs. Colgate
• The Greyhounds and Raiders have met twice throughout its women’s lacrosse history, however never as NCAA Division I programs, as both games were in AIAW Division II tournaments.
• Loyola won both neutral site games, knocking off Colgate, 4-3, in the 1981 AIAW Tournament at Penn State and 15-7 in the 1982 tournament at West Chester.
• Saturday’s game will mark the first Division I game and first non-neutral site contest.
• Loyola owns the fourth-longest active win streak in the NCAA, winning its last six games.
• Maryland (13-0) owns the longest active streak this season and is the only undefeated team left.
• Duquesne (9-1) has the second-longest streak, winning eight-straight games, while Denver (9-1) has won its last seven contests.
• Loyola (8-4) and Stanford (8-1) have each won its last six contests, tying them for the fourth-longest streak.
Taryn It Up On The Draw
• Junior Taryn VanThof dominated the draw this year and is on track to break the single season and career records at Loyola.
• Against Lafayette on March 15, VanThof won 15 draws to set the single-game school record.
• She won 14 of those draws in the second half, helping Loyola win 21 of the 22 second-half draws.
• This season, she ranks fourth in the program’s single-season record books, winning 66. As a redshirt sophomore, VanThof won 75 draws, one shy of tying Michelle Meyer (1994) and Rita Ciletti (1984) for the school’s single-season record.
• Throughout her career, she ranks second on Loyola’s all-time charts with 171. Meyer holds the school record at 180 from 1993-97.
• Loyola will return home for a midweek game vs. American on Wednesday at 7 p.m.
Schmitt, Thomas, VanThof To Play In IWLCA North...
Three Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse seniors - Hannah Schmitt, Annie Thomas and...
Geppi-Aikens To Be Inducted Into National...
Diane Geppi-Aikens, former Loyola University Maryland head women's lacrosse coach, will be...
Eight Greyhound Teams Recognized By NCAA For...
Eight Loyola University Maryland athletic teams were recognized Wednesday by the NCAA for being...
Thomas, VanThof, Lesher Pick Up IWLCA All-Ameri...
Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse senior Annie Thomas was named to the IWLCA All-Americ...
Syracuse Gets Past Women's Lacrosse, 10-7, In...
Kara Burke scored three goals and tied the Loyola University Maryland single-season record with...
Burke Earns Capital One Academic All-District...
Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse senior Kara Burke added another honor to her name on ...
Women's Lacrosse Seniors Celebrate Commencement...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team gathered Thursday afternoon to celebrate a...
NCAA Quarterfinal Round Features Loyola,...
The No. 13 Loyola women's lacrosse team will return to Syracuse for the second time in two weeks ...
Saturday, Oct 10 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Florida & Virginia Ridley Athletic Complex 11:00 AM Sunday, Oct 11 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE North Carolina Ridley Athletic Complex 12:00 PM Sunday, Oct 25 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Maryland, Denver & Penn Ridley Athletic Complex 10:30 AM