No. 13 Greyhounds Head To No. 20 JMU For Saturday Tilt
March 15, 2012
|Opponent||James Madison Dukes|
|Date||Saturday, March 17, 2012|
|Location||Harrisonburg, Va. | Lacrosse Complex|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Audio|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
|Game Notes||Complete Game Notes in PDF Format|
• Loyola brings a three-game win streak into the game, while the Dukes have dropped their last two. All three of James Madison’s losses this season have been decided by one goal.
• This will mark Loyola’s final non-conference game before BIG EAST play, although it is not the Greyhounds’ final non-conference game.
• James Madison will be raising money at the game for Friends of Jaclyn.
Loyola Greyhounds (4-2, 0-0 BIG EAST)
• Loyola is coming off a 14-5 win in which a season-high 10 Greyhounds scored for Loyola.
• Sophomore Marlee Paton led the team with a career-high five goals, while sophomore Molly Dickerson and freshman Kara Burke each notched the first goal of their careers.
• So far this season, seven Greyhounds have scored their first collegiate goal, while six of Loyola’s 11 goal scorers are freshmen. Over half of Loyola’s goals (34 of 64) have been scored by a freshman, while no seniors have scored for the Greyhounds.
• Paton leads the Greyhounds with 21 points on a team-high 12 goals and nine assists. Freshman Annie Thomas is second on the team with 17 points, dishing out a team-best 10 assists to go with seven goals.
• Freshman Hannah Schmitt and junior Cassandra Cursaro have also reached double-figures in goals, with 11 and 10, respectively, while freshman Sydney Thomas rounds out the Greyhounds with double-figure points, at 10.
• Defensively, Loyola leads the BIG EAST in ground balls per game (22.83) and is second in caused turnovers per game (12.50). In addition, the Greyhounds’ defense leads the league in goals-against average, as they only give up 8.86 goals per game.
• Senior Kellye Gallagher leads the BIG EAST in ground balls (4.50) and caused turnovers (3.5) per game, while senior Kerry Stoothoff ranks fifth with 2.83 ground balls per outing.
• Senior Kerry Stoothoff is allowing 8.98 goals per game, while stopping 49.5 percent of shots faced.
Scouting James Madison (3-3, 0-0 CAA)
• JMU is coming off a close back-to-back losses to Harvard, 9-8, and in-state rival Richmond, 13-12. The Dukes also lost a one-goal affair to Stanford, 14-13, while they beat California, 13-9, Virginia Tech, 10-7, and Fairfield, 15-9.
• The Dukes are led by a trio of point scorers in Casey Ancarrow (18g, 4a), Monica Zabel (9g, 13 a) and Amy Roguski (16g). Defensively, Cally Chakrian leads the team with 14 ground balls, while Ancarrow has a team-best 20 draw controls.
• In goal, Alex Menghetti is allowing 9.75 goals per game, while stopping 37.9 percent of shots.
• The Greyhounds leads the series, 24-15, and has won three straight against the Dukes.
• Loyola took the 2011 contest on March 19 by a score of 11-7 at the Ridley Athletic Complex.
• The series dates back to 1982, when the foes were members of the South Atlantic Lacrosse League and the Colonial Athletic Association.
Ten Score In Win Over Delaware
• A season-high 10 Greyhounds scored in a 14-5 midweek win over Delaware on Wednesday, March 14. It was the first time since a 16-6 win vs. Villanova on April 10, 2011 that 10 Greyhounds scored in the same game.
• Sophomore Marlee Paton led the team in scoring with a career-high five goals, while sophomore Molly Dickerson and freshman Kara Burke scored their first collegiate goals. Sophomore Ali Habicht also recorded her first goal of the season, second of her career, while junior Kathleen Barranco dished out an assist for her first point of the year.
• In goal, freshman Natalia Angelo earned her first career save, stopping a shot in the final minute of the first half. She finished the game with three saves in 31:10 minutes of play.
• Loyola used a season-long run of 10-straight goals to earn a 10-1 lead, en route to a 10-2 halftime advantage - it’s largest of the season. The Greyhounds then outscored the Blue Hens 4-3 in the second half, en route to a 14-5 victory.
• Defensively, senior Kellye Gallagher caused five turnovers to move her career total to 93 and pass Tara Singleton for third on Loyola’s all-time career list. Gallagher and classmate Ana Heneberry (97) trail Jen Albright’s school record of 130 from 2000-03.
• Seven Greyhounds have scored their first collegiate goals this season.
• Freshmen Molly Hulseman, Hannah Schmitt and Annie Thomas all scored in Loyola’s 14-9 loss at Virginia on Saturday, Feb. 18, while Julie Morse notched her first goal in an 11-7 win at No. 20 Johns Hopkins on Wednesday, Feb. 29.
• Freshman Sydney Thomas had dished out an assist at Hopkins, then tallied her first collegiate goal against Towson on Saturday, March 3.
• Freshman Kara Burke and sophomore Molly Dickerson each notched their first career goals in a 14-5 victory over Delaware on Wednesday, March 14.
• Eleven Greyhounds have made their collegiate debuts so far this season.
• Four freshmen started their first game in the season opener at Virginia. Molly Hulseman and Sydney Thomas started at midfield for Loyola, while Hannah Schmitt and Annie Thomas started at attack.
• Three other Greyhounds also got into the game at Virginia. Freshmen Kara Burke, Morgan Holleran and Julie Morse all saw time on the field for Loyola.
• At Johns Hopkins, goalkeeper Natalia Angelo came into the game after senior Kerry Stoothoff was given a yellow card. Elizabeth Barranco also made her collegiate debut in the contest.
• Freshman Madison Formwalt and MC McDonald got into the game for the Greyhounds against Delaware.
• Loyola will take a week off to prepare for its BIG EAST opener at Georgetown on Saturday, March 24. Game time is slated for 4 p.m.
Lesher And VanThof Earn Corvias Patriot League ...
Redshirt senior Taryn VanThof and junior Maddy Lesher were named the Corvias Patriot League...
No. 16 Women's Lacrosse Beats Lehigh On The...
The No. 16 Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team beat Lehigh, 10-6, Saturday afternoon...
Lehigh Hosts No. 16 Women's Lacrosse...
The No. 16 Loyola women's lacrosse team will head to Lehigh Saturday for a 4 p.m., contest at...
Trio Of Hat Tricks Lead No. 16 Loyola WLAX To...
Seniors Kara Burke and Hannah Schmitt, in addition to junior Shannon Aikens, each recorded hat...
Women's Lax Hosts Bucknell In Game One Of...
The Loyola women's lacrosse team will host Bucknell in the first game of a lacrosse doubleheader ...
Burke And Schmitt Pick Up Women's Lacrosse...
A pair of Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse seniors picked up weekly awards for their...
Balanced Offense Leads No. 16 WLAX To Win Over ...
A season-high nine Greyhounds scored for the No. 16 Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse...
Patriot League Play Begins For Women's...
The Loyola women's lacrosse team will host Lafayette Saturday in the squad's Patriot League...
Wednesday, Apr 1 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Towson Towson, Md. 7:00 PM Saturday, Apr 4 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Colgate Ridley Athletic Complex 12:00 PM Video Wednesday, Apr 8 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE American Washington, D.C. 4:00 PM Saturday, Apr 11 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Boston University Ridley Athletic Complex 1:00 PM Video Saturday, Apr 18 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Navy Annapolis, Md. 12:00 PM Tuesday, Apr 21 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Patriot League Quarterfinals Higher Seed TBA