Women's Lax Faces Sixth-Straight Nationally Ranked Foe Wednesday As No. 8 Virginia Comes To Ridley
|Opponent||No. 8 Virginia Cavaliers|
|Date||Wednesday, March 14|
|Location||Baltimore, Md. | Ridley Athletic Complex|
|Watch||Patriot League Network|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter | Instagram|
No. 13 Loyola Greyhounds (3-2, 0-0 Patriot League)
• Loyola is coming off of its third-straight win, including a 13-7 victory over No. 14 Princeton Saturday and a pair of overtime wins against No. 13 Penn State in overtime and No. 10 Towson in triple overtime.
• Hannah Powers scored the game-winner against the Nittany Lions, while Taylor VanThof netted the game-winner against Towson.
• Loyola’s defense has been locked in the last two games, as the Greyhounds have only given up four second-half goals in the two contests. Against No. 10 Towson, Loyola shutout the Tigers through the final 35 minutes of the game, while they worked to turn an 11-5 halftime deficit into a 14-13 victory. The Greyhounds then held No. 14 Princeton to just seven goals, including two in the second half, marking the first time in their last 18 games that they were held to single-digit goals.
• Powers (attack) and VanThof (midfield) earned Patriot League weekly awards for their play in the two games - against Towson and Princeton - while Livy Rosenzweig was named the Patriot League Rookie of the Week for a third-straight week.
• Powers leads the offense with 19 points on eight goals and a team-best 11 assists, while Rosenzweig is second at 18 points (11 goals, 7 assists).
• VanThof and Frankie Kamely are tied for the team lead in goals, with 14 each.
• VanThof also leads the Patriot League with a 6.40 draw controls per game average this year, while Rosenzweig is third at a 5.8 per game average.
• Lindsey Ehrhardt leads the defense with 10 ground balls and eight caused turnovers this year, while Kristen Yanchoris has nine ground balls and seven caused turnovers.
• In goal, Kady Glynn has played 265 minutes and is allowing 13.58 goals per game. With 10.2 saves per game, Glynn leads the Patriot League this year, while her .459 save percentage ranks second.
No. 8 Virginia Cavaliers (5-1, 1-1 Atlantic Coast Conference)
• Virginia is coming off its first loss of the season, a 13-9 setback at No. 5 North Carolina.
• Kasey Behr leads the team with 19 goals and 21 points, while Sammy Mueller has 20 points on 15 goals and five assists.
• Maggie Jackson is third on the team with 19 points and leads the charge at the circle, winning a team-best 26 draw controls this season.
• Avery Shoemaker and Ana Hagerup round out the Cavaliers with double-digit points, as Shoemaker has scored 13 goals and added three assists for 19 points and Hagerup has six goals and four assists for 10 points.
• In goal, Rachel Vander Kolk has played 275 minutes and is posting an 11.10 goals-against average and a .452 save percentage to go with 42 saves.
• The two storied programs played every year from 1981-2005 before renewing the rivalry in 2009. Since then, games have been played on four different fields - Loyola’s DGA Field and Ridley Athletic Complex, and Virginia’s UHall turf field and Klöckner Stadium.
• Of the 28 meetings since incorporating national rankings in 1989, 19 have been won by the underdog, including seven of Loyola’s wins being upsets over a then-top-10 squad.
• Virginia enters this week ranked eighth nationally, while Loyola sits at No. 13.
• With the exception of last year, when neither team was nationally ranked, the underdog had been victorious in the last seven games, with Loyola winning the last two played at Ridley Athletic Complex; 15-8 in 2011 and 7-6 in 2016.
• Loyola will remain home for a fourth-straight game, as it hosts Army West Point in its Patriot League season opener on Saturday at 1 p.m.
W. Lacrosse | 3/20/2018
Loyola-Georgetown Women's Lacrosse Game Moved To April 25
W. Lacrosse | 3/19/2018
Kluegel, Kamely Earn Patriot League Player Of The Week Awards
W. Lacrosse | 3/17/2018
No. 13 Women's Lacrosse Dominates Army West Point In Patriot League Opener
W. Lacrosse | 3/15/2018
Patriot League Play Begins For Women's Lacrosse Saturday vs. Army West Point
W. Lacrosse | 03/20/2018
Wednesday's Loyola-Georgetown Lacrosse Doubleheader Postponed
W. Lacrosse | 03/15/2018
VanThof Named IWLCA National Player Of The Week
W. Lacrosse | 03/14/2018
No. 13 Women's Lacrosse Holds On To Upset No. 8 Virginia, 19-18
W. Lacrosse | 03/14/2018
Larsson Voted ILWomen National Rookie Of The Week
W. Lacrosse | 03/13/2018
VanThof Named Baltimore Sun National Player Of The Week
W. Lacrosse | 03/12/2018