No. 5 Florida Makes First Trip To Ridley Tuesday To Face Women's Lax
March 3, 2014
|Date||Tuesday, March 4|
|Location||Baltimore, Maryland | Ridley Athletic Complex|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
• Loyola started the season with back-to-back wins over nationally ranked opposition before dropping two one-goal games at Johns Hopkins and James Madison last week.
• Florida will be the third nationally ranked foe for the Greyhounds this year, as the Gators check in at No. 5 in the IWLCA Coaches Poll and the Brine Media Poll. The Greyhounds are 12th in both polls.
• Tuesday’s game will mark the 100th time Jen Adams will be strolling the sidelines as Loyola’s head coach. She’s the third coach in the history of the program to reach 100 games as a head coach; Anne McCloskey (1977-86) coached Loyola to a 106-40-5 record through 150 games and Diane Geppi-Aikens led the Greyhounds to a record of 196-70 (266 games) from 1989 through 2003.
• Senior Marlee Paton and junior Taryn VanThof were two of 51 women’s lacrosse players in the nation to be named to the initial Tewaaraton Award watch list last week.
• This marks Florida’s first time playing at Loyola and at Ridley Athletic Complex.
Loyola Greyhounds (2-2)
• Loyola, the preseason Patriot League favorite, is coming off two one-goal road losses.
• Junior Annie Thomas leads the attack with 13 points on five goals and a team-best eight assists, while junior Hannah Schmitt and senior Marlee Paton have 12 points each.
• Paton, the Preseason Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year, has seven goals and five assists in three games, while Schmitt has a team-high 10 goals.
• Junior Taryn VanThof leads the team with 12 ground balls, 16 draw controls and six caused turnovers.
• Sophomore Maddy Lesher joined Paton, Schmitt, Thomas and VanThof on on the All-Patriot League Team, while Paton and VanThof were also Preseason All-Americans.
• All five Greyhounds earned All-BIG EAST honors a year ago.
• In goal, sophomore Molly Wolf has notched three double-digit save games in four outings this year, posting a 9.00 goals-against average and a .532 save percentage.
Florida Gators (4-1)
• The Gators opened the season with a 20-8 loss at No. 1 North Carolina, but have responded with four-straight wins over Jacksonville (21-5), High Poiint (18-7), James Madison (21-8) and Cincinnati (19-6) at home.
• Shannon Gilroy leads the attack with 28 points on a team-best 24 goals and four assists.
• Gilroy also has a team-best 31 draw controls, while Sammi Burgess leads the squad with 13 ground balls.
• In goal, Cara Canington and Mary-Sean Wilcox have split time with Canington posting an 8.06 goals-against average and a .511 save percentage. Wilcox has a 10.58 GAA and .429 save percentage.
Series vs. Florida
• This will mark the second time that Florida and Loyola have met in women’s lacrosse.
• The Gators held the Greyhounds without a goal through the final 27:04 of last year’s game, while rattling off eight-unanswered goals for a 16-7 win in Gainesville, Fla.
• The Greyhounds will head to Penn State for a 1 p.m. contest on Saturday, March 8.
Over 600 Participants Take Part In 13th-Annual ...
A total of 640 participants from the Baltimore area and the Loyola University Maryland community ...
Lesher, Paton, Thomas, VanThof Make Patriot...
In two years since joining the Patriot League, the Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse...
Aikens And Burke Named To IWLCA/Zag Sports...
Shannon Aikens and Kara Burke have been named to the IWLCA/Zag Sports Academic Honor Roll, while ...
152 Student-Athletes Earn Patriot League...
Loyola University Maryland placed 152 student-athletes on their respective sports' Patriot League...
Schmitt, Thomas, VanThof To Play In IWLCA North...
Three Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse seniors - Hannah Schmitt, Annie Thomas and...
Geppi-Aikens Formally Inducted Into National...
Diane Geppi-Aikens, former Loyola University Maryland head women's lacrosse coach, will be...
Eight Greyhound Teams Recognized By NCAA For...
Eight Loyola University Maryland athletic teams were recognized Wednesday by the NCAA for being...
Thomas, VanThof, Lesher Pick Up IWLCA All-Ameri...
Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse senior Annie Thomas was named to the IWLCA All-Americ...
There are no upcoming events.