No. 12 Greyhounds Host Towson In Home Opener Saturday
March 2, 2012
|Date||Saturday, March 3, 2011|
|Location||Baltimore, Maryland | Ridley Athletic Complex|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video | Audio|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
|Game Notes||Complete Game Notes in PDF Format|
• Today’s game marks the second contests against a Baltimore opponent for Loyola this week.
• The Greyhounds beat No. 17/20 Johns Hopkins at Homewood Field on Wednesday.
• Loyola is ranked 12th in this week’s IWLCA coaches poll, while Towson is receiving votes.
Loyola Greyhounds (1-1, 0-0 BIG EAST)
• Loyola is 1-1 after earning an 11-7 victory at No. 20 Johns Hopkins Wednesday.
• The game marked the first time the Charles Street rivals have met since 1982, with Loyola holding a 12-0 record in the all-time series.
• Over half of Loyola’s scoring this year has come from its freshman class, as 13 of the 20 goals have been notched by a newcomer.
• Freshman Hannah Schmitt leads the Greyhounds in scoring, tallying hat tricks in each of her first two games for a team-high six goals and six points. Classmate Annie Thomas is second on the team with four goals, while Molly Hulseman has two goals and Julie Morse has one.
• Junior Cass Cursaro and sophomore Marlee Paton are the other Greyhounds with points, each recording five. Paton leads the offense with two assists.
Scouting Towson (2-0, 0-0 CAA)
• Towson brings an undefeated 2-0 record into the game, earning convincing wins over Oregon, 16-5, and UMBC, 11-3.
• The Tigers are led by Andi Raymond and Katie Leech, who have each tallied six points this year. Raymond leads Towson with five goals scored, while Sarah Appelt has contributed a game-high three assists.
• Defensively, Alexa Demski has a team-high 10 ground balls and five caused turnovers.
• In goal, Mary Teeters has stopped 19 shots, while allowing just eight goals. She has posted a goals-against average of 4.06, while her save percentage is at .704.
• The Greyhounds lead the all-time series with Towson, 30-8, winning last year’s game, 12-2.
• Loyola had a 25-game win streak from 1984 to 2007.
• Under head coach Jen Adams, the Greyhounds are 2-1 when facing the Tigers.
• Loyola is 39-15-2 all-time in home openers.
• This marks the third season for Loyola at the Ridley Athletic Complex, although it is only the second time Loyola has had its first game of the season at Ridley. In 2010, Loyola opened the year at the Diane Geppi-Aikens field before moving to Ridley in March.
• The Greyhounds are 1-1 in home openers at Ridley.
• Against Towson in home openers, the Greyhounds trail, 2-1. Loyola won in 1998, but lost in both 2008 and 2010.
Loyola vs. Baltimore Opponents
• Loyola is playing a pair of Baltimore opponents this weekend. Loyola beat No. 17/20 Johns Hopkins Wednesday, 11-7, while it host Towson today. Loyola will also host UMBC on Saturday, March 10 at 3:30 p.m.
• Against the three Baltimore-based opponents, Loyola holds an all-time record of 69-11-1.
• The Greyhounds are 12-0 vs. Johns Hopkins, 30-8 vs. Towson and 27-3-1 vs. UMBC.
Last Time Out: Defense Key In Win At Hopkins
• Seniors Kellye Gallagher and Kerry Stoothoff anchored a Loyola defense that carried the 12th-ranked Greyhounds to an 11-7 victory at No. 20 Johns Hopkins.
• Gallagher scooped up her 100th career ground ball in the game, finishing the contest with a game-high six. She also had a career-high six caused turnovers.
• In goal, Stoothoff stopped eight Blue Jays shots throughout the game, including stopping one while Loyola was playing two men down at the beginning of the first half.
• Four Greyhounds have scored their first collegiate goals this season.
• Freshmen Molly Hulseman, Hannah Schmitt and Annie Thomas all scored in Loyola’s 14-9 loss at Virginia on Saturday, Feb. 18, while Julie Morse notched her first goal in an 11-7 win at No. 20 Johns Hopkins on Wednesday, Feb. 29.
• Nine Greyhounds have made their collegiate debuts so far this season.
• Four freshmen started their first game in the season opener at Virginia. Molly Hulseman and Sydney Thomas started at midfield for Loyola, while Hannah Schmitt and Annie Thomas started at attack.
• Three other Greyhounds also got into the game at Virginia. Freshmen Kara Burke, Morgan Holleran and Julie Morse all saw time on the field for Loyola.
• At Johns Hopkins, goalkeeper Natalia Angelo came into the game after senior Kerry Stoothoff was given a yellow card. Elizabeth Barranco also made her collegiate debut in the contest.
• Loyola will head on the road for a spring break trip to Penn State. The Greyhounds will face the 19th-ranked Nittany Lions
WLAX Captures Patriot League Regular Season...
Senior Molly Wolf recorded a career-best 15 saves to help the Loyola University Maryland capture ...
Lafayette Hosts Women's Lacrosse Saturday...
The Loyola women's lacrosse team will head to Lafayette to face the Leopards Saturday at 3 p.m....
WLAX Beats Bucknell, Clinches Share Of Regular-...
Nine Greyhounds scored as the Loyola University Maryland women’s lacrosse team picked up a ...
Clark Named Corvias Patriot League Midfield...
Loyola University Maryland women’s lacrosse junior Emily Clark has been named the Corvias...
Clark's Game-Winner In Overtime Helps Women's...
The Lehigh women's lacrosse team closed out regulation by scoring five-straight goals, but junior...
Women's Lax Hosts Lehigh In Key Patriot...
The Loyola women's lacrosse team hosts Lehigh in a key Patriot League matchup Saturday at 3 p.m. ...
Road Swing Begins For Women's Lacrosse...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team will begin a two-game road swing on...
Dobbie Selected By Baltimore Ride In Inaugural ...
Loyola University Maryland women’s lacrosse assistant coach Dana Dobbie was selected by the...
Saturday, Apr 30 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Army West Point Ridley Athletic Complex 1:00 PM Video Friday, May 6 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Patriot League Semifinals Ridley Athletic Complex TBA Sunday, May 8 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Patriot League Championship Game Ridley Athletic Complex TBA