No. 12 Greyhounds Host Towson In Home Opener Saturday
March 2, 2012
|Date||Saturday, March 3, 2011|
|Location||Baltimore, Maryland | Ridley Athletic Complex|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video | Audio|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
|Game Notes||Complete Game Notes in PDF Format|
• Today’s game marks the second contests against a Baltimore opponent for Loyola this week.
• The Greyhounds beat No. 17/20 Johns Hopkins at Homewood Field on Wednesday.
• Loyola is ranked 12th in this week’s IWLCA coaches poll, while Towson is receiving votes.
Loyola Greyhounds (1-1, 0-0 BIG EAST)
• Loyola is 1-1 after earning an 11-7 victory at No. 20 Johns Hopkins Wednesday.
• The game marked the first time the Charles Street rivals have met since 1982, with Loyola holding a 12-0 record in the all-time series.
• Over half of Loyola’s scoring this year has come from its freshman class, as 13 of the 20 goals have been notched by a newcomer.
• Freshman Hannah Schmitt leads the Greyhounds in scoring, tallying hat tricks in each of her first two games for a team-high six goals and six points. Classmate Annie Thomas is second on the team with four goals, while Molly Hulseman has two goals and Julie Morse has one.
• Junior Cass Cursaro and sophomore Marlee Paton are the other Greyhounds with points, each recording five. Paton leads the offense with two assists.
Scouting Towson (2-0, 0-0 CAA)
• Towson brings an undefeated 2-0 record into the game, earning convincing wins over Oregon, 16-5, and UMBC, 11-3.
• The Tigers are led by Andi Raymond and Katie Leech, who have each tallied six points this year. Raymond leads Towson with five goals scored, while Sarah Appelt has contributed a game-high three assists.
• Defensively, Alexa Demski has a team-high 10 ground balls and five caused turnovers.
• In goal, Mary Teeters has stopped 19 shots, while allowing just eight goals. She has posted a goals-against average of 4.06, while her save percentage is at .704.
• The Greyhounds lead the all-time series with Towson, 30-8, winning last year’s game, 12-2.
• Loyola had a 25-game win streak from 1984 to 2007.
• Under head coach Jen Adams, the Greyhounds are 2-1 when facing the Tigers.
• Loyola is 39-15-2 all-time in home openers.
• This marks the third season for Loyola at the Ridley Athletic Complex, although it is only the second time Loyola has had its first game of the season at Ridley. In 2010, Loyola opened the year at the Diane Geppi-Aikens field before moving to Ridley in March.
• The Greyhounds are 1-1 in home openers at Ridley.
• Against Towson in home openers, the Greyhounds trail, 2-1. Loyola won in 1998, but lost in both 2008 and 2010.
Loyola vs. Baltimore Opponents
• Loyola is playing a pair of Baltimore opponents this weekend. Loyola beat No. 17/20 Johns Hopkins Wednesday, 11-7, while it host Towson today. Loyola will also host UMBC on Saturday, March 10 at 3:30 p.m.
• Against the three Baltimore-based opponents, Loyola holds an all-time record of 69-11-1.
• The Greyhounds are 12-0 vs. Johns Hopkins, 30-8 vs. Towson and 27-3-1 vs. UMBC.
Last Time Out: Defense Key In Win At Hopkins
• Seniors Kellye Gallagher and Kerry Stoothoff anchored a Loyola defense that carried the 12th-ranked Greyhounds to an 11-7 victory at No. 20 Johns Hopkins.
• Gallagher scooped up her 100th career ground ball in the game, finishing the contest with a game-high six. She also had a career-high six caused turnovers.
• In goal, Stoothoff stopped eight Blue Jays shots throughout the game, including stopping one while Loyola was playing two men down at the beginning of the first half.
• Four Greyhounds have scored their first collegiate goals this season.
• Freshmen Molly Hulseman, Hannah Schmitt and Annie Thomas all scored in Loyola’s 14-9 loss at Virginia on Saturday, Feb. 18, while Julie Morse notched her first goal in an 11-7 win at No. 20 Johns Hopkins on Wednesday, Feb. 29.
• Nine Greyhounds have made their collegiate debuts so far this season.
• Four freshmen started their first game in the season opener at Virginia. Molly Hulseman and Sydney Thomas started at midfield for Loyola, while Hannah Schmitt and Annie Thomas started at attack.
• Three other Greyhounds also got into the game at Virginia. Freshmen Kara Burke, Morgan Holleran and Julie Morse all saw time on the field for Loyola.
• At Johns Hopkins, goalkeeper Natalia Angelo came into the game after senior Kerry Stoothoff was given a yellow card. Elizabeth Barranco also made her collegiate debut in the contest.
• Loyola will head on the road for a spring break trip to Penn State. The Greyhounds will face the 19th-ranked Nittany Lions
Loyola Athletics Black Friday & Cyber Monday...
Loyola University Maryland Athletics is holding a special Black Friday/Cyber Monday ticket...
Schmitt, Thomas and VanThof Named Team Captains
Loyola University Maryland head women's lacrosse coach Jen Adams announced Thursday that seniors ...
Eight NCAA Participants Featured On Women's...
Loyola University Maryland head women's lacrosse coach Jen Adams has announced the squad's 2015...
Wood Named Director Of Women's Lacrosse Operations
Loyola University Maryland head coach Jen Adams announced Tuesday that Charlotte Wood will join...
Burke And Reinhard Named To IWLCA Academic...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team was recognized as a 2014 Division I IWLCA...
Registration For 12th-Annual DGA 5k Race On...
The 12th-annual Diane Geppi-Aikens 5k Race and 1-Mile Fun Walk will take place on Saturday,...
Loyola Student-Athletes Earn Patriot League...
Loyola University Maryland placed 136 student-athletes on the Patriot League Winter and Spring...
VanThof Selected To U.S. Women's Lacrosse...
Loyola University Maryland rising senior Taryn VanThof has been named to the prestigious 38-membe...