Women's Lacrosse Remains On Road For Game At JMU Saturday
Feb. 28, 2014
|Opponent||James Madison Dukes|
|Date||Saturday, March 1|
|Location||Harrisonburg, Virginia | Lacrosse Complex|
|Online Media||Live Stats|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
• Loyola started the season with back-to-back wins over nationally ranked opposition before slipping at Johns Hopkins on Wednesday, 6-5.
• The Greyhounds cracked into the top-five of the IWLCA Coaches Poll at the beginning of the week for the first time since 2011. Loyola opened the year with 13-straight wins that season, en route to a 17-3 overall record, tying a school record for wins in a season.
• Junior Annie Thomas and sophomore Molly Wolf were honored as the Patriot League Offensive and Defensive Player of the Week, respectively, this week.
• Senior Marlee Paton and junior Taryn VanThof were two of 51 women’s lacrosse players in the nation to be named to the initial Tewaaraton Award watch list.
Loyola Greyhounds (2-1)
• Loyola, the preseason Patriot League favorite, is 2-1 on the season with both wins coming vs. nationally ranked foes; No. 6 Virginia and No. 17 Princeton.
• Junior Hannah Schmitt leads the attack with 11 points on 10 goals and one assist, while senior Marlee Paton, the Preseason Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year, has 10 points on five goals and five assists this year. She was joined on the Preseason All-Patriot League Team by Schmitt, juniors Annie Thomas and Taryn VanThof, in addition to sophomore Maddy Lesher.
• All five Greyhounds earned All-BIG EAST honors a year ago, while Paton and VanThof were also tabbed Preseason All-Americans by ILWomen this year.
• The Greyhounds also welcome back goalkeeper Molly Wolf for her sophomore season.
James Madison Dukes (2-1)
• The Dukes posted a 16-15 win in double-overtime to knock off Jacksonville on Saturday and move to 2-1 on the season.
• Amy Roguski scored with 2:50 remaining in the contest to send it to overtime, while Stephanie Finley won the draw control to open the second overtime period and scored 10 seconds later.
• Finley leads the Dukes with 15 points on 10 goals and five assists, while Ali Curwin has 11 points on sevne goals and four assists.
• Jaci Gordon has a team-best 10 draw controls and Finley and Kaci Starkloff have 17 and 14 draw controls, respectively.
• In goal, Schylar Healy has played 148:25, posting a 15.77 goals-against average and 14 saves.
Series vs. James Madison
• The Greyhounds leads the series, 24-17, and have lost the last two meetings.
• The series dates back to 1982, when the foes were members of the South Atlantic Lacrosse League and the Colonial Athletic Association.
Tewaaraton Watch List
• Senior Marlee Paton was named to the initial Tewaaraton Award watch list for a third-straight year and was joined this year by junior Taryn VanThof.
• Paton and VanThof were two of three Patriot League honorees, as Navy’s Loren Generi was also on the list.
• Throughout the season the Greyhounds will face 15 of the 51 initial honorees.
• Additions to the watch list will be made on March 20 and April 10 with the 25 nominees being named on April 24. Five finalists will be announced on May 8 with the Tewaaraton ceremony taking place May 29 in Washington, D.C.
• The Tewaaraton Award annually honors the top male and top female college lacrosse players in the United States. The selection committees are made up of top collegiate coaches and are appointed annually by the Tewaaraton Foundation.
• Head coach Jen Adams was the first recipient of the prestigious award in 2001.
• Junior Annie Thomas and sophomore Molly Wolf were named the Patriot League Offensive and Defensive Player of the Week, respectively, for their play in Loyola’s 15-10 win over No. 17 Princeton on Saturday, Feb. 22.
• Thomas recorded a game-high five points on three goals and two assists, while Wolf recorded her second-straight 11 save performance.
• Loyola will return home to host Florida on Tuesday at 1 p.m.
Wolf Earns Third Corvias Patriot League...
Loyola University Maryland women’s lacrosse senior goalkeeper Molly Wolf has been named the...
WLAX Captures Patriot League Regular Season...
Senior Molly Wolf recorded a career-best 15 saves to help the Loyola University Maryland capture ...
Lafayette Hosts Women's Lacrosse Saturday...
The Loyola women's lacrosse team will head to Lafayette to face the Leopards Saturday at 3 p.m....
WLAX Beats Bucknell, Clinches Share Of Regular-...
Nine Greyhounds scored as the Loyola University Maryland women’s lacrosse team picked up a ...
Clark Named Corvias Patriot League Midfield...
Loyola University Maryland women’s lacrosse junior Emily Clark has been named the Corvias...
Clark's Game-Winner In Overtime Helps Women's...
The Lehigh women's lacrosse team closed out regulation by scoring five-straight goals, but junior...
Women's Lax Hosts Lehigh In Key Patriot...
The Loyola women's lacrosse team hosts Lehigh in a key Patriot League matchup Saturday at 3 p.m. ...
Road Swing Begins For Women's Lacrosse...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team will begin a two-game road swing on...
Friday, May 6 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Patriot League Semifinals Ridley Athletic Complex TBA Sunday, May 8 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Patriot League Championship Game Ridley Athletic Complex TBA