No. 13 Loyola Heads To No. 17 Hopkins For Mid-Week Game
Feb. 27, 2012
|Opponent||No. 17 Johns Hopkins|
|Date||Wednesday, February 29, 2012|
|Location||Baltimore, Maryland | Homewood Field|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
|Game Notes||Complete Game Notes in PDF Format|
• Today's game marks the first of two contests against Baltimore opponents for Loyola this week.
• The Greyhounds will play at Johns Hopkins on Wednesday before hosting Towson on Saturday.
• Loyola is ranked 13th in this week's deBeer media poll, while Johns Hopkins checks in at No. 17.
• This is the first time that the Greyhounds and the Blue Jays have met since 1982.
Loyola Greyhounds (0-1, 0-0 BIG EAST)
• Loyola is 0-1 after dropping its season opener to an experienced Virginia squad, 14-9.
• Five Greyhounds scored for Loyola in its only game this season, including five freshmen. Hannah Schmitt has a team-high three goals, while Annie Thomas and Molly Hulseman have one each.
• Sophomore Marlee Paton has dished out the only assist this year and has also added two goals.
• Junior Cass Cursaro rounds out Loyola's scoring with two goals this year.
• In goal, Kerry Stoothoff earned her first 10-save game of the season, turning back 10 of UVa's shots.
Scouting Johns Hopkins (3-0, 0-0 ALC)
• The Blue Jays enter the year undefeated and with a No. 17 national ranking. In three games, Hopkins has outscored its opponents, 57-19, most recently defeating Denver, 20-5. The Blue Jays also hold wins over Mount St. Mary's, 18-8, and George Mason, 19-6.
• Candace Rossi leads the offense with 11 goals, while Taylor D'Amore hs a team-best six assists. The duo shares the lead with 15 points each.
• D'Amore also leads the team with 13 draw controls.
• Cosette Larash has started all three games in goal for the Blue Jays, posting a 6.57 GAA.
• Loyola is undefeated in the series with Johns Hopkins, holding an unblemished 11-0 record.
• The last time the two squads faced was in 1982.
• Through the 11 meetings, the Greyhounds have outscored the Blue Jays, 142-39.
• On the road, Loyola has won all four games played.
Loyola vs. Baltimore Opponents
• Loyola is playing a pair of Baltimore opponents this weekend; at Johns Hopkins (Wed., 7 p.m.) and hosting Towson (Sat., 1 p.m.). Loyola will host UMBC on Saturday, March 10.
• Against the three Baltimore-based opponents, Loyola holds an all-time record of 68-11-1.
• The Greyhounds are 11-0 vs. Johns Hopkins, 30-8 vs. Towson and 27-3-1 vs. UMBC.
BIG EAST Honor Roll
• Freshman Hannah Schmitt was named to the first BIG EAST Honor Roll of the season on Feb. 20.
• Schmitt was honored for recording a hat trick in her first collegiate game, a 14-9 loss at Virginia on Feb. 18.
• Three Greyhounds have scored their first collegiate goals this season.
• Freshmen Molly Hulseman, Hannah Schmitt and Annie Thomas all scored in Loyola's 14-9 loss at Virginia on Saturday, Feb. 18.
• Seven Greyhounds have made their collegiate debuts so far this season.
• Four freshmen started their first game in the season opener at Virginia. Molly Hulseman and Sydney Thomas started at midfield for Loyola, while Hannah Schmitt and Annie Thomas started at attack.
• Three other Greyhounds also got into the game at Virginia. Freshmen Kara Burke, Morgan Holleran and Julie Morse all saw time on the field for Loyola.
• Three of the five Greyhounds that scored for Loyola in its 14-9 season-opening loss at No. 10 Virginia were freshmen. Hannah Schmitt scored her first career hat trick, while classmates Molly Hulseman and Annie Thomas each contributed one goal.
• Sophomore Marlee Paton had two goals and one assist for the Greyhounds, while junior Cass Cursaro tallied two scores.
• Despite being out-drew 10-2 in the first half, Loyola and UVa were tied at five with one minute remaining in the half. Virginia's Josie Owen then scored with 57 seconds left, giving UVa a 6-5 lead at halftime.
• The Cavaliers held the Greyhounds scoreless for the first 20:26 of the second half while extending their lead to seven, at 12-5, en route to a 14-9 victory.
• Loyola allowed UVa's Ainsley Baker to score five times in the game, while Owen dished out six assists.
• Senior Kerry Stoothoff recorded her first 10-save game of the season, turning back 10 of UVa's shots.
• Loyola will return to Ridley Athletic Complex to host crosstown-rival Towson in its home opener. Opening draw is slated for 1 p.m., on Saturday, March 3.
Schmitt, Thomas, VanThof To Play In IWLCA North...
Three Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse seniors - Hannah Schmitt, Annie Thomas and...
Geppi-Aikens To Be Inducted Into National...
Diane Geppi-Aikens, former Loyola University Maryland head women's lacrosse coach, will be...
Eight Greyhound Teams Recognized By NCAA For...
Eight Loyola University Maryland athletic teams were recognized Wednesday by the NCAA for being...
Thomas, VanThof, Lesher Pick Up IWLCA All-Ameri...
Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse senior Annie Thomas was named to the IWLCA All-Americ...
Syracuse Gets Past Women's Lacrosse, 10-7, In...
Kara Burke scored three goals and tied the Loyola University Maryland single-season record with...
Burke Earns Capital One Academic All-District...
Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse senior Kara Burke added another honor to her name on ...
Women's Lacrosse Seniors Celebrate Commencement...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team gathered Thursday afternoon to celebrate a...
NCAA Quarterfinal Round Features Loyola,...
The No. 13 Loyola women's lacrosse team will return to Syracuse for the second time in two weeks ...
Saturday, Oct 10 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Florida & Virginia Ridley Athletic Complex 11:00 AM Sunday, Oct 11 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE North Carolina Ridley Athletic Complex 12:00 PM Sunday, Oct 25 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Maryland, Denver & Penn Ridley Athletic Complex 10:30 AM