No. 14 Hopkins Comes To Loyola For Women's Lax Game Wednesday
Feb. 26, 2013
|Opponent||Johns Hopkins Blue Jays|
|Date||Wednesday, February 27, 2013|
|Location||Baltimore, Maryland | Ridley Athletic Complex|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video | Audio|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
Loyola Greyhounds (1-1, 0-0 BIG EAST)
• Redshirt sophomore Taryn VanThof leads the Greyhounds with six goals, eight points and 11 draw controls this year, as she has recorded a hat trick in each of her first two games since returning from a knee injury that kept her out all of last year.
• Defensively, the Greyhounds are anchored by Molly Wolf, who has stopped 19 shots in her first two collegiate games, including 11 in her debut.
• Junior Marlee Paton and Wolf each have six ground balls, while freshman Maddy Lesher - the BIG EAST Defensive Player of the Week - has a team-best four caused turnovers.
Johns Hopkins Blue Jays (3-0, 0-0 ALC)
• The Blue Jays are coming off a 19-4 win vs. Bucknell on Saturday. Sammy Cermack, Taylor D’Amore and Sarah Taylor combined for 11 goals and 10 assists vs. the Bison.
• As a team, the Blue Jays are outscoring their opponents 57-19. Hopkins also holds a 37-7 advantage in assists and a 57-25 margin in draw controls.
• Both Taylor (12) and D’Amore (10) have reached double-figures in goals, with D’Amore leading the way with 24 points, including a team-best 14 assists and 17 draws.
• Defensively, Katie Duffey leads the way with 11 ground balls.
• In goal, Cosette Larash has started all three games, posting a 7.33 goals-against average and a .414 save percentage.
• Hopkins head coach Janine Tucker, a 1989 graduate of Loyola, will bring her Blue Jays to her alma mater for the first time in her career and for the first time since 1981.
• A former All-American and member of the Greyhounds’ Athletic Hall of Fame, Tucker got her career started as an assistant coach with the Greyhounds from 1990-93.
• Tucker is a four-time IWLCA Regional Coach of the Year and is the all-time winningest coach at Hopkins (210-113 in 19 seasons).
• The Blue Jays’ assistant coach Tara Singleton is also a former Greyhound. An All-American, Singleton helped Loyola to four-straight NCAA Tournaments from 2000-04, including two final fours and the 2002 Colonial Athletic Association title.
• Volunteer assistant Kelly (Kasper) Carter also has connections to Greyhounds’ coaching staff, as Carter played for Loyola head coach Jen Adams and was a teammate of assistant coach Dana Dobbie as a junior at Maryland in 2006.
Series vs. Johns Hopkins
• Loyola is undefeated in the series with Hopkins, holding an unblemished 12-0 record.
• The Greyhounds won a rain-soaked meeting Homewood Field, 11-7.
• Prior to last year’s, the last time the two squads faced was in 1982.
• Through the 12 meetings, the Greyhounds have outscored the Blue Jays, 153-46.
• At home, Loyola has won all seven games with the last meeting in 1981.
• The Greyhounds will head to Towson for their first road game of the year on Saturday, March 2. Opening draw is slated for 1 p.m.
BIG EAST Honors
• Freshman Maddy Lesher was honored as the BIG EAST Defensive Player of the Week on Monday, Feb. 23, after helping the Greyhounds to their first win of the season.
• Lesher held Penn State’s top scorer, Mackenzie Cyr, without a goal through the entire game, finishing the contest with a team-high two caused turnovers and one draw controls.
Early Season Success
• Johns Hopkins will be the third-straight team to visit Ridley without a loss this year.
• No. 8 Virginia opened its season in Baltimore, while No. 10 Penn State was 1-0 entering the contest and No. 14 Johns Hopkins is 3-0 so far this year.
In the Polls
• Loyola dropped to 10th in the deBeer Media Poll after its loss to Virginia, but jumped back up a spot to No. 9 this week. Johns Hopkins is ranked 14th in this week’s poll.
• The IWLCA Coaches Poll has not update this week, but both teams were ranked in the preseason poll. Loyola checked in at No. 6, with Penn State at No. 10.
• The Greyhounds will be the first nationally ranked program the Blue Jays will face while Hopkins is the third-straight nationally ranked opponent on Loyola’s schedule.
Taryn Tearin’ it up
• Redshirt sophomore Taryn VanThof returned from an ACL injury that kept her on the sidelines last year and has notched a hat trick in each of her first two games back.
• The three goals in each of her first two games ties a previous career high.
• She also had a career-high eight draw controls vs. the Nittany Lions.
• VanThof leads the Greyhounds with six goals and eight points this year.
• Freshman goalkeeper Molly Wolf stopped 11 shots in her collegiate debut vs. No. 8 Virginia and tacked on another eight vs. No. 10 Penn State.
• The 11 saves vs. UVa marks the most among any Greyhound freshman in their collegiate debut.
• Two Greyhounds extended their point streaks by contributing to the scoring in Loyola’s season opener versus No. 8 Virginia and win over No. 10 Penn State.
• Junior Marlee Paton had a point in every game last year and has extended her point streak to 28-straight contests by notching a point in both games so far thsi season.
• Sophomore Sydney Thomas has also had a point in the last 21 games, while sophomore Hannah Schmitt has tallied a goal or an assist in the last 11 contests for Loyola.
• Freshman Katrina Geiger scored her first collegiate goal in Loyola’s 13-11 win over No. 10 Penn State. Her goal was credited as the eventual game winner.
• Four freshmen have made their collegiate debuts this spring.
• Goalkeeper Molly Wolf, in addition to midfielder Katrina Geiger and defender Maddy Lesher all started the opener vs. No. 8 Virginia, while midfielder Maddy Blakeman got into the game versus No. 10 Penn State.
Overcoming Nittany Lions
• The Greyhounds trailed No. 10 Penn State at halftime, 7-6, but came back to earn a 13-11 victory on Saturday, Feb. 23.
• The last time the Greyhounds trailed at halftime and came back to win was also against the Nittany Lions in 2012. Loyola trailed 7-5 but came back to win 12-10 in overtime on March 7.
Gioffre Pizzo '03 To Be Inducted Into Baltimore...
Former Loyola University Maryland women’s lacrosse All-American Marianne Gioffre Pizzo will...
Lesher, Wolf Named Preseason All-Americans By...
Loyola University Maryland women’s lacrosse seniors Maddy Lesher and Molly Wolf have been...
Women's Lacrosse Schedule Released For 2016...
Loyola University Maryland head women’s lacrosse coach Jen Adams has announced the squad...
Blast Comes-From-Behind To Win Annual WLAX...
Team Blast scored with 20 seconds remaining in the championship game of the Loyola women's...
Adams Named IWLCA Mid-Atlantic Region Coach Of ...
Loyola University Maryland head women’s lacrosse coach Jen Adams was named the IWLCA Mid-At...
Women's Lacrosse Featured In ILWomen Fall All-A...
Inside Lacrosse's women's editor Halley Quillinan recently stopped by a Loyola University...
Blakeman And Geiger Named Women's Lacrosse ...
Loyola University Maryland women’s lacrosse head coach Jen Adams has announced that senior ...
Five 'Hounds Attend Women's Sports Foundation...
Five Loyola University Maryland student athletes - (above, L-R) Rebekah Rogerson, Maddy Blakeman,...
Sunday, Feb 14 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Syracuse Syracuse, N.Y. 12:00 PM Wednesday, Feb 24 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Johns Hopkins Baltimore, Md. 5:00 PM Sunday, Feb 28 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Towson Ridley Athletic Complex 1:00 PM Video Saturday, Mar 5 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Penn State State College, Pa. 1:00 PM