Loyola And Hopkins Meet In Women's Lax Wednesday On ESPNU
Feb. 25, 2014
|Opponent||No. 20 Johns Hopkins Blue Jays|
|Date||Wednesday, February 26, 2014|
|Location||Baltimore, Maryland | Homewood Field|
|Online Media||Live Stats|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
|Game Notes||Loyola | Hopkins|
|Game Information||Lacrosse Coaches vs. Cancer|
• Johns Hopkins and Loyola will participate in the first-ever Lacrosse Coaches vs. Cancer game on Wednesday. For more information on the game, click here.
• Loyola has started the season with back-to-back wins over nationally ranked opposition and has cracked into the top-five of the IWLCA Coaches Poll for the first time since 2011. That squad opened the year with 13-straight wins, en route to a 17-3 overall record, tying a school record for wins in a season.
• With nine goals this year, junior Hannah Schmitt needs just one more point to reach 100 career points. She has 84 goals, 15 assists and 99 points in her third season.
• Johns Hopkins head coach Janine Tucker ’89 and associate head coach Tara Singleton ’04 both played at Loyola. Tucker is a member of the Greyhounds’ Athletic Hall of Fame.
• Both squads enter the contest without a loss on the season.
Loyola Greyhounds (2-0)
• Loyola, the preseason Patriot League favorite, is 2-0 on the season with back-to-back wins over nationally ranked foes; No. 6 Virginia and No. 17 Princeton.
• Senior Marlee Paton, the Preseason Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year, leads the attack with 10 points on five goals and five assists. She was joined on the Preseason All-Patriot League Team by juniors Hannah Schmitt, Annie Thomas and Taryn VanThof, in addition to sophomore Maddy Lesher.
• All five Greyhounds earned All-BIG EAST honors a year ago, while Paton and VanThof were also tabbed Preseason All-Americans by ILWomen this year.
• The Greyhounds also welcome back goalkeeper Molly Wolf for her sophomore season.
• Wolf is ranked tied for eighth nationally with 11.00 saves per game, while Schmitt is 15th in the NCAA with 4.50 goals per game.
Johns Hopkins Blue Jays (3-0)
• The Blue Jays enter the contest without a loss, as they wins vs. Marquette, 16-2, at Mount St. Mary’s, 17-2, and vs. Bucknell, 19-7, respectively.
• Taylor D’Amore leads the offense with 14 points on seven goals and a team-best seven assists. Dene’ DiMartino also has seven goals, while Jen Cook has five goals and two assists.
• Samme Cermack leads 13 Blue Jays with draw controls with a team-best five, while Liz Johnson has five ground balls and four caused turnovers.
• In goal, KC Emerson has started all three contests and played 67 minutes. She is allowing 3.58 goals per game, while Caroline Federico has played 53 scoreless minutes.
Series vs. Johns Hopkins
• Loyola holds a 12-1 advantage in the series with Johns Hopkins, however the Blue Jays own the most recent meeting, winning 11-8 at Ridley Athletic Complex last year.
• The last time the two met at Homewood Field, in 2012, Loyola fought through a one hour and 19 minute lightning delay and a downpour of rain to win the first meeting between the Charles Street rivals since 1982, 11-7.
• Through the 13 meetings, Loyola has outscored the Blue Jays, 164-54, although Hopkins holds a one-goal advantage in the two meetings since renewing the rivalry.
• Junior Hannah Schmitt and head coach Jen Adams are looking to join century clubs, as Schmitt is nearing her 100th career point and Adams her 100th game as a head coach.
• Schmitt enters the game with 99 career points on 84 goals and 15 assists.
• The Greyhounds’ game at Penn State on Saturday, March 8 will mark Adams’ 100th with Loyola. She currently owns 66-31 record as a head coach.
A League of her Own
• Senior Marlee Paton became the first Greyhound to reach 100 goals, 75 assists, 200 points and 100 ground balls throughout their career (ground ball records were not consistently kept prior to 1989).
• Paton and fellow Aussie Stacey Morlang ‘02 are the only two Greyhounds to reach 100 goals, 50 assists, 200 points and 100 ground balls, as Morlang concluded her career with 221 goals, 67 assists, 288 points and 120 ground balls.
• Grace Gavin ‘11 was eight ground balls shy of the club, finishing her career with a school-record 229 goals and 311 points, to go with 82 assists and 92 ground balls.
• Janet Eisenhut ‘83, Rita Ciletti ‘86 and Andi Holthaus ‘87 reached the goals, assists and points milestones, however ground balls were not tracked prior to 1989.
• Eisenhut concluded her career with 223 goals, 61 assists and 284 points, Holthaus had 184 goals, 62 points and 246 points, and Ciletti had 149 goals, 79 assists and 228 points.
Climbing the Charts
• Three Greyhounds are climbing the program’s all-time career record charts.
• Senior Marlee Paton is currently ranked 10th in career goals (136), fifth in assists (76) and tied for sixth in points (212).
• Redshirt junior Taryn VanThof won 75 draw controls last season, the second-most in program history. She’s currently ranked ninth on the career records with 116.
• Junior Annie Thomas moved into a tie for eighth place on the program’s top-10 career records for assists with 61 throughout her three seasons.
• Loyola will remain on the road for a game at James Madison on Saturday at 1 p.m.
Over 600 Participants Take Part In 13th-Annual ...
A total of 640 participants from the Baltimore area and the Loyola University Maryland community ...
Lesher, Paton, Thomas, VanThof Make Patriot...
In two years since joining the Patriot League, the Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse...
Aikens And Burke Named To IWLCA/Zag Sports...
Shannon Aikens and Kara Burke have been named to the IWLCA/Zag Sports Academic Honor Roll, while ...
152 Student-Athletes Earn Patriot League...
Loyola University Maryland placed 152 student-athletes on their respective sports' Patriot League...
Schmitt, Thomas, VanThof To Play In IWLCA North...
Three Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse seniors - Hannah Schmitt, Annie Thomas and...
Geppi-Aikens Formally Inducted Into National...
Diane Geppi-Aikens, former Loyola University Maryland head women's lacrosse coach, will be...
Eight Greyhound Teams Recognized By NCAA For...
Eight Loyola University Maryland athletic teams were recognized Wednesday by the NCAA for being...
Thomas, VanThof, Lesher Pick Up IWLCA All-Ameri...
Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse senior Annie Thomas was named to the IWLCA All-Americ...
There are no upcoming events.