Women's Lax Hosts No. 9 Penn State In First Game Of Doubleheader
Feb. 21, 2013
|Opponent||No. 10/9 Penn State Nittany Lions|
|Date||Saturday, February 23, 2013|
|Location||Baltimore, Maryland | Ridley Athletic Complex|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video | Audio|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
|Game Notes||Loyola Notes|
Loyola Greyhounds (0-1, 0-0 BIG EAST)
• The Greyhounds opened their 41st season with a 10-9 loss to No. 8 Virginia.
• Defensively, Loyola was anchored by freshman goalkeeper Molly Wolf against the Cavaliers, who turned back 11 shots in her collegiate debut. The 11 saves were the most among any other goalkeeper in the BIG EAST this year.
• Redshirt sophomore Taryn VanThof paced the offense with three goals, tying a career-best, while junior Marlee Paton tacked on two points to extend her scoring streak to 27-straight games.
Penn State Nittany Lions (1-0, 0-0 ALC)
• The Nittany Lions opened their season on Wednesday with a dominating 18-2 victory over Bucknell at Holuba Hall.
• Mackenzie Cyr led Penn State with four goals on four shots and added three assists, while Maggie McCormick taked on two goals and three assists. In total, 10 Nittany Lions contributed to the scoring with five tallying multiple goals.
• Defensively, Emi Smith turned back five shots in her collegiate debut and did not give up a goal. Ayla Halus played the second half, stopping two shots.
• Penn State, ranked No. 10 in the preseason IWLCA Coaches Poll and No. 9 in the deBeer Media Poll, is coming off its first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2005.
• The Nittany Lions return eight starters, including McCormick - their leading scorer last year with 59 points.
In the Polls
• Loyola dropped to 10th in the deBeer Media Poll after its loss to Virginia, while Penn State entered the week at No. 9 before knocking off Bucknell, 18-2, on Wednesday.
• The IWLCA Coaches Poll did not update this week, but both teams were ranked in the preseason poll. Loyola checked in at No. 6, with Penn State at No. 10.
Series vs. Penn State
• It took overtime to decide a winner in last year’s contest, but the Greyhounds tied the all-time series at 13 with a 12-10 victory at the Penn State Lacrosse Field.
• Cassandra Cursaro notched the game-winning goal for Loyola with 5:07 left in overtime, while Sydney Thomas tacked on an insurance goal at the 3:28 mark.
• The win marked the second-straight for Loyola in the series, while last year’s victory snapped a five-game losing skid for the Greyhounds.
• Former Loyola head women’s lacrosse coach and administrator Anne McCloskey will be honored at 10:45 a.m., Saturday, prior to the start of the game.
• The ceremony will take place on the third-floor entrance to Ridley Athletic Complex.
• To read more about McCloskey, click here.
• Four Greyhounds extended their point streaks by contributing to the scoring in Loyola’s season opener versus No. 8 Virginia.
• Junior Marlee Paton had a point in every game last year and has extended her point streak to 27-straight contests, while sophomore Sydney Thomas has now had a point in the last 20.
• Senior Joanna Dalton contributed a point in the last five games - and the last 11 that she played in - while sophomore Hannah Schmitt is the final Greyhound with a point streak, as she has tallied a goal or an assist in the last 10 contests.
• Loyola features 12 players from the state of Maryland on this year’s roster, including five from Baltimore; freshman Shannon Aikens, sophomore Kara Burke, senior Ashley Cahill, junior Ali Habicht and freshman Molly Wolf.
• Loyola holds an all-time record of 27-13-1 in season openers, including a 13-6-1 mark at home and 1-1 record at Ridley Athletic Complex.
• When facing Virginia in the first game of the season, Loyola is 1-2. The Cavaliers are the only team to face Loyola in a season opener at Ridley.
• Under head coach Jen Adams, Loyola is 2-3 in season openers.
• Loyola earned the No. 6 ranking in the IWLCA Coaches Preseason Poll.
• The ranking marks the highest preseason ranking for the Greyhounds since they started the season ranked No. 5 in 2004.
• Loyola has started the year ranked in the top-10 nationally in 17 of the 23 polls.
Tough Road Ahead
• The Greyhounds will once again play one of the toughest schedules in the country.
• Loyola will face nine teams ranked in the preseason IWLCA Coaches Poll this year, including two of the top-three teams. The Greyhounds will also match-up against seven teams that advanced to the 2012 NCAA Tournament, including two of the final four participants.
• Loyola will host its final contest of a three-game season-opening homestand on Wednesday, when Charles St.-rival Johns Hopkins visits Ridley Athletic Complex.
• Game time is slated for 7 p.m.
Information And Registration For Loyola's Vero ...
While the Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team's is in Florida for a game against the...
Women's Lacrosse Falls At No. 15 Princeton In...
The ninth-ranked Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team scored four-straight goals to...
Season Opener For Women's Lacrosse Set For Noon...
The women's lacrosse team will open its 43rd season of competition Saturday at noon when it...
Women's Lacrosse Picks Up Second Top-10...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team has earned a second top-10 preseason ranking...
Thomas, Lesher, Women's Lax Picked As Preseason...
Senior Annie Thomas and junior Maddy Lesher picked up Preseason Patriot League Offensive and...
Lacrosse Magazine Ranks Women's Lacrosse...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team has earned a top-10 preseason ranking in the...
Goettelman, Hanley, Singleton Inducted To...
Gary Hanley, Tim Goettelmann and Tara Singleton will represent Loyola University Maryland men's...
Women In Sports Day Set For January 31
Loyola University Maryland will host a celebration of women and their contributions to, and...
Saturday, Feb 28 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE James Madison Ridley Athletic Complex 5:00 PM Video Tuesday, Mar 3 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Florida Gainesville, Fla. 1:00 PM Saturday, Mar 7 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Penn State Ridley Athletic Complex 1:00 PM Video Wednesday, Mar 11 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Virginia Charlottesville, Va. 7:00 PM Saturday, Mar 14 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Lafayette Ridley Athletic Complex 1:00 PM Video Wednesday, Mar 18 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Bucknell Ridley Athletic Complex 5:00 PM Video