Women's Lax Begins Season With Top-10 Tilt At No. 6 Virginia
Feb. 12, 2014
|Date||Saturday, February 15, 2014|
|Location||Charlottesville, Virginia | Turf Field**|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter | Instagram|
**Saturday's game has been moved from Klöckner Stadium to the UHall Turf Field
• Saturday's game marks the start of Loyola's 42nd season of women's lacrosse.
• This marks the fourth-straight year that the Greyhounds have opened their season against Virginia, with the Cavaliers holding a 2-1 edge in those games.
• Virginia, ranked eighth in preseason polls, gave up a free-position goal in the final 16.7 seconds to fall to No. 4 Northwestern, 13-12, in a neutral site game on Sunday. Despite the loss, Virginia moved up two spots to No. 6 in the IWLCA Coaches Polls.
• Eventual national champion North Carolina ended Loyola and Virginia's seasons in the second round and quarterfinal round of last year's NCAA Tournament, respectively.
• Loyola holds an all-time record of 27-13-1 in season openers and a 14-8 mark when opening the season on the road.
• This will be the fourth-straight year the Greyhounds face Virginia in the first game of the season. Loyola holds a 1-2 record in those first three games, with its lone win being a 15-8 decision at Ridley Athletic Complex in 2011.
• Under head coach Jen Adams, Loyola is 2-3 in season openers.
Loyola Greyhounds (0-0, 0-0 Patriot League)
• Loyola, the preseason Patriot League favorite, returns 10 starters from a squad that advanced to its third-straight NCAA Tournament a year ago.
• Senior Marlee Paton was voted the Preseason Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year, in addition to being named a preseason first-team All-American by ILWomen.
• Redshirt junior Taryn VanThof was also named a preseason All-American, earning a spot on the second team, while junior Hannah Schmitt, junior Annie Thomas and sophomore Maddy Lesher joined Paton and VanThof on the Preseason All-Patriot League Team.
• In addition to those five Greyhounds, Loyola also returns senior captain Katie Reinhard, juniors Sydney Thomas and Kara Burke, and sophomores Katrina Geiger, Maddy Lesher and goalkeeper Molly Wolf to the starting lineup.
Virginia Cavaliers (0-1, 0-0 ACC)
• Virginia advanced to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Tournament last year, knocking off Penn and Georgetown, before falling to eventual national champion North Carolina.
• The Cavaliers, picked to finish fifth in the ACC this year, finished 2013 with an 11-10 record.
• Virginia, led by Preseason All-ACC selection Casey Bocklet, returns almost 88 percent of its offense from the 2013 squad that posted an 11-10 overall record.
• In a series that dates back to 1981, Loyola trails Virginia, 8-23-1.
• The two storied programs played every year from 1981-2005, with Virginia posting a 6-20-1 record throughout that run.
• Since the rivalry was renewed in 2009, the series has been played on four different fields, with the Cavaliers holding a 3-2 lead.
• Loyola will have a week to prepare for its home opener versus No. 16 Princeton on Saturday, Feb. 22.
• Opening draw is scheduled for 1 p.m. at Ridley Athletic Complex
Over 600 Participants Take Part In 13th-Annual ...
A total of 640 participants from the Baltimore area and the Loyola University Maryland community ...
Lesher, Paton, Thomas, VanThof Make Patriot...
In two years since joining the Patriot League, the Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse...
Aikens And Burke Named To IWLCA/Zag Sports...
Shannon Aikens and Kara Burke have been named to the IWLCA/Zag Sports Academic Honor Roll, while ...
152 Student-Athletes Earn Patriot League...
Loyola University Maryland placed 152 student-athletes on their respective sports' Patriot League...
Schmitt, Thomas, VanThof To Play In IWLCA North...
Three Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse seniors - Hannah Schmitt, Annie Thomas and...
Geppi-Aikens Formally Inducted Into National...
Diane Geppi-Aikens, former Loyola University Maryland head women's lacrosse coach, will be...
Eight Greyhound Teams Recognized By NCAA For...
Eight Loyola University Maryland athletic teams were recognized Wednesday by the NCAA for being...
Thomas, VanThof, Lesher Pick Up IWLCA All-Ameri...
Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse senior Annie Thomas was named to the IWLCA All-Americ...
There are no upcoming events.