Women's Lax Begins Season With Top-10 Tilt At No. 6 Virginia
Feb. 12, 2014
|Date||Saturday, February 15, 2014|
|Location||Charlottesville, Virginia | Turf Field**|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter | Instagram|
**Saturday's game has been moved from Klöckner Stadium to the UHall Turf Field
• Saturday's game marks the start of Loyola's 42nd season of women's lacrosse.
• This marks the fourth-straight year that the Greyhounds have opened their season against Virginia, with the Cavaliers holding a 2-1 edge in those games.
• Virginia, ranked eighth in preseason polls, gave up a free-position goal in the final 16.7 seconds to fall to No. 4 Northwestern, 13-12, in a neutral site game on Sunday. Despite the loss, Virginia moved up two spots to No. 6 in the IWLCA Coaches Polls.
• Eventual national champion North Carolina ended Loyola and Virginia's seasons in the second round and quarterfinal round of last year's NCAA Tournament, respectively.
• Loyola holds an all-time record of 27-13-1 in season openers and a 14-8 mark when opening the season on the road.
• This will be the fourth-straight year the Greyhounds face Virginia in the first game of the season. Loyola holds a 1-2 record in those first three games, with its lone win being a 15-8 decision at Ridley Athletic Complex in 2011.
• Under head coach Jen Adams, Loyola is 2-3 in season openers.
Loyola Greyhounds (0-0, 0-0 Patriot League)
• Loyola, the preseason Patriot League favorite, returns 10 starters from a squad that advanced to its third-straight NCAA Tournament a year ago.
• Senior Marlee Paton was voted the Preseason Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year, in addition to being named a preseason first-team All-American by ILWomen.
• Redshirt junior Taryn VanThof was also named a preseason All-American, earning a spot on the second team, while junior Hannah Schmitt, junior Annie Thomas and sophomore Maddy Lesher joined Paton and VanThof on the Preseason All-Patriot League Team.
• In addition to those five Greyhounds, Loyola also returns senior captain Katie Reinhard, juniors Sydney Thomas and Kara Burke, and sophomores Katrina Geiger, Maddy Lesher and goalkeeper Molly Wolf to the starting lineup.
Virginia Cavaliers (0-1, 0-0 ACC)
• Virginia advanced to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Tournament last year, knocking off Penn and Georgetown, before falling to eventual national champion North Carolina.
• The Cavaliers, picked to finish fifth in the ACC this year, finished 2013 with an 11-10 record.
• Virginia, led by Preseason All-ACC selection Casey Bocklet, returns almost 88 percent of its offense from the 2013 squad that posted an 11-10 overall record.
• In a series that dates back to 1981, Loyola trails Virginia, 8-23-1.
• The two storied programs played every year from 1981-2005, with Virginia posting a 6-20-1 record throughout that run.
• Since the rivalry was renewed in 2009, the series has been played on four different fields, with the Cavaliers holding a 3-2 lead.
• Loyola will have a week to prepare for its home opener versus No. 16 Princeton on Saturday, Feb. 22.
• Opening draw is scheduled for 1 p.m. at Ridley Athletic Complex
Thomas, VanThof, Lesher Pick Up IWLCA All-Ameri...
Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse senior Annie Thomas was named to the IWLCA All-Americ...
Syracuse Gets Past Women's Lacrosse, 10-7, In...
Kara Burke scored three goals and tied the Loyola University Maryland single-season record with...
Burke Earns Capital One Academic All-District...
Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse senior Kara Burke added another honor to her name on ...
Women's Lacrosse Seniors Celebrate Commencement...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team gathered Thursday afternoon to celebrate a...
NCAA Quarterfinal Round Features Loyola,...
The No. 13 Loyola women's lacrosse team will return to Syracuse for the second time in two weeks ...
US Lacrosse Invites Six Greyhounds To Tryout...
Six Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse players are among the 108 players that have been ...
Burke Earns Select Sector SPDR National Player ...
Senior Kara Burke was named the Select Sector SPDR National Player of the Week, as selected by...
Five Greyhounds Named To All-Mid-Atlantic...
The Loyola University Maryland women's lacrosse team placed five Greyhounds on the All-Mid-Atlant...
There are no upcoming events.