Patriot League Opener Pits Women's Basketball Against American
|Opponent||American University Eagles|
|Date||Wednesday, Dec. 30, 2015|
|Location||Baltimore, Md. | Reitz Arena|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Free Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
LOYOLA UNIVERSITY MARYLAND
• Loyola is in its 45th season as a women’s basketball program and its 35th year of competition as an NCAA Division I program. Prior to 1981, the Greyhounds competed in the Mid-Atlantic Region of the Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women (AIAW).
• The 2013-14 season was Loyola’s inaugural year as a member of the Patriot League.
• Prior to joining the League, Loyola was a member of the Northeast Conference for nine seasons (1980-89), before joining the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference in 1989. The Greyhounds posted an overall record of 196-205 in MAAC games and won two MAAC Championships, in 1993 and 1994.
THINGS TO KNOW
• Loyola commences Patriot League action on Wednesday, when it hosts American University in Reitz Arena at 4:30 p.m.
• The game is part of a doubleheader series with Loyola and American, as the men’s teams will face off at 7:30 p.m.
• In the last two seasons, Loyola has opened its Patriot League slate against the previous year’s regular season League champion. Last season, American won the regular season title, while the previous year Loyola opened up against Navy, a team which won the 2013-14 Patriot League regular season.
• Loyola closed out its non-conference slate on Tuesday, Dec. 22, when the Greyhounds fell to St. Francis Brooklyn, 64-54, in Brooklyn Heights, New York.
• Senior Colleen Marshall and sophomore Bri Betz-White are averaging double figures in scoring. Marshall is averaging a team-best 13.7 points per game, which ranks seventh among Patriot League competitors. Betz-White is averaging 11.6 points per game.
• Senior Jeneh Perry is grabbing a team-best 8.5 rebounds per game, which ranks fifth in the League. The veteran forward is also ranked fifth in the Patriot League in field-goal percentage (47.2 percent).
• The Greyhounds returned nine players from a team that went 7-23 overall last season.
• Loyola is one of 25 NCAA Division I programs to return all five starters from the 2014-15 season.
SERIES HISTORY VERSUS AMERICAN UNIVERSITY
• Loyola and American will meet for the 20th time when the two teams take the hardwood on Wednesday.
• The Eagles hold a 15-4 lead in the all-time series, including winning all four Patriot League matchups since Loyola joined the League in 2013-14.
LAST TIME OUT
• Loyola closed out its non-conference slate on Tuesday, Dec. 22, when the St. Francis Brooklyn Terriers defeated the Greyhounds, 64-54, in the Pope Physical Education Center in Brooklyn Heights, New York.
• Senior Colleen Marshall led the Greyhounds in scoring, recording nine points, while senior Jeneh Perry added eight points and grabbed a team-best six rebounds. In her collegiate debut, sophomore CaLee Gelbaugh scored eight points and recorded a pair of assists and steals.
• At the close of the first quarter, Loyola held a one-point advantage, 20-19, but St. Francis Brooklyn kept the Greyhounds to only six points in the following frame and entered halftime with a 13-point lead, 39-26.
• Loyola chipped away at the double-digit deficit and pulled within five, 45-40, with 1:23 remaining in the third quarter, but the Terriers held on to the lead for the remainder of the contest.
• The Greyhounds continue Patriot League action with a game on Saturday, January 2, against Lafayette College. The contest will be played in Reitz Arena with tipoff scheduled for 2 p.m.
Georgetown Uses Second Half To Pull Away From...
The Loyola University Maryland women’s basketball team trailed Georgetown by two at...
Women's Hoops Hosts Georgetown Thursday In...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team will host Georgetown Thursday in the final...
George Mason Outlasts Women's Basketball
George Mason outscored the Loyola University Maryland women’s basketball team 16-8 in the...
Two-Game Homestand For Women's Hoops Begins...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team will host a pair of local opponents to...
Karcz's Career-High 25 Point Leads Women's...
Stephanie Karcz made 11 of 13 shots and scored a career-high 25 points Friday afternoon, leading ...
Dixon, Edwards Sign NLIs To Join Women's...
Taleah Dixon and Laryn Edwards have signed National Letters of Intent and will join the Loyola...
Loyola Athletics Ranks Seventh In NCAA's...
Loyola University Maryland continued its outstanding performance in the NCAA’s Graduation...
Season Begins For Women's Basketball Vs....
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team will begin its 47th season on Friday when ...
Saturday, Nov 25 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE William & Mary Williamsburg, Va. 3:00 PM Live Stats Saturday, Dec 2 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Mount St. Mary's Emmitsburg, Md. 1:00 PM Live Stats Wednesday, Dec 6 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE St. Francis Brooklyn Brooklyn, N.Y. 7:00 PM Saturday, Dec 9 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Towson Reitz Arena 1:00 PM Monday, Dec 11 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Maryland College Park, Md. 6:00 PM Friday, Dec 22 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Delaware Newark, Del. 1:00 PM