Patriot League Opener Pits Women's Basketball Against American
|Opponent||American University Eagles|
|Date||Wednesday, Dec. 30, 2015|
|Location||Baltimore, Md. | Reitz Arena|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Free Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
LOYOLA UNIVERSITY MARYLAND
• Loyola is in its 45th season as a women’s basketball program and its 35th year of competition as an NCAA Division I program. Prior to 1981, the Greyhounds competed in the Mid-Atlantic Region of the Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women (AIAW).
• The 2013-14 season was Loyola’s inaugural year as a member of the Patriot League.
• Prior to joining the League, Loyola was a member of the Northeast Conference for nine seasons (1980-89), before joining the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference in 1989. The Greyhounds posted an overall record of 196-205 in MAAC games and won two MAAC Championships, in 1993 and 1994.
THINGS TO KNOW
• Loyola commences Patriot League action on Wednesday, when it hosts American University in Reitz Arena at 4:30 p.m.
• The game is part of a doubleheader series with Loyola and American, as the men’s teams will face off at 7:30 p.m.
• In the last two seasons, Loyola has opened its Patriot League slate against the previous year’s regular season League champion. Last season, American won the regular season title, while the previous year Loyola opened up against Navy, a team which won the 2013-14 Patriot League regular season.
• Loyola closed out its non-conference slate on Tuesday, Dec. 22, when the Greyhounds fell to St. Francis Brooklyn, 64-54, in Brooklyn Heights, New York.
• Senior Colleen Marshall and sophomore Bri Betz-White are averaging double figures in scoring. Marshall is averaging a team-best 13.7 points per game, which ranks seventh among Patriot League competitors. Betz-White is averaging 11.6 points per game.
• Senior Jeneh Perry is grabbing a team-best 8.5 rebounds per game, which ranks fifth in the League. The veteran forward is also ranked fifth in the Patriot League in field-goal percentage (47.2 percent).
• The Greyhounds returned nine players from a team that went 7-23 overall last season.
• Loyola is one of 25 NCAA Division I programs to return all five starters from the 2014-15 season.
SERIES HISTORY VERSUS AMERICAN UNIVERSITY
• Loyola and American will meet for the 20th time when the two teams take the hardwood on Wednesday.
• The Eagles hold a 15-4 lead in the all-time series, including winning all four Patriot League matchups since Loyola joined the League in 2013-14.
LAST TIME OUT
• Loyola closed out its non-conference slate on Tuesday, Dec. 22, when the St. Francis Brooklyn Terriers defeated the Greyhounds, 64-54, in the Pope Physical Education Center in Brooklyn Heights, New York.
• Senior Colleen Marshall led the Greyhounds in scoring, recording nine points, while senior Jeneh Perry added eight points and grabbed a team-best six rebounds. In her collegiate debut, sophomore CaLee Gelbaugh scored eight points and recorded a pair of assists and steals.
• At the close of the first quarter, Loyola held a one-point advantage, 20-19, but St. Francis Brooklyn kept the Greyhounds to only six points in the following frame and entered halftime with a 13-point lead, 39-26.
• Loyola chipped away at the double-digit deficit and pulled within five, 45-40, with 1:23 remaining in the third quarter, but the Terriers held on to the lead for the remainder of the contest.
• The Greyhounds continue Patriot League action with a game on Saturday, January 2, against Lafayette College. The contest will be played in Reitz Arena with tipoff scheduled for 2 p.m.