Women's Basketball Ends Three-Game Road Swing At Army
Dec. 9, 2012
|Opponent||Army Black Knights|
|Date||Monday, December 10, 2012|
|Location||West Point, N.Y. | Christl Arena|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Audio | Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
Last Time Out
• Thirteen Greyhounds have tallied points this season, while six have reached double figures in scoring. Katie Sheahin leads the Greyhounds with 149 points, 35 assists, 24 steals, and 52 rebounds. Kara Marshall follows close behind with 75 points and 16 steals, while Nneka Offodile is second in rebounds, recording 50.
• Nicole Krusen leads the team from the charity stripe, making 90 percent of her shots from the line.
• Senior Alyssa Sutherland leads the Greyhounds in shooting, making 46 percent of her field goal attempts.
• The Greyhounds are tied, 2-2, in December contests.
• In the MAAC, Loyola’s defense ranks fourth in defensive rebound percentages.
• The Greyhounds were picked to finish third in the pre-season coaches poll.
Last Time Out
• Loyola fell to the Syracuse Orange, 83-48, Saturday afternoon in the Carrier Dome.
• Nai Brown matched her career-best, scoring eight points against the Orange.
• Rookie Tiffany Padgett tabbed a career-high five rebounds and two steals.
• Katie Sheahin led all scorers with nine points, while Nicole Krusen led Loyola with seven rebounds.
• The Greyhounds shot 37 percent from the field, completing 7-25 three-point shots.
• Loyola was outrebounded 27 to the Orange 48.
Scouting the Black Knights
• Army enters Monday’s contest 8-2, with the latest loss over fellow MAAC competitor, Rider, 66-60.
• Rider ended the Black Knights’ seven-game winning streak, although all five starters scored double-digits against the Broncs.
• Jen Hazlett recorded a team-best 15 points, while Anna Simmers holds the team season-best, averaging 15.1 ppg.
• Sophomore Olivia Schretzman leads Army with 90 rebounds, averaging 9.0 a game. Aimee Oertner follows close behind with 8.8 rpg.
• The Black Knights are currently first in the Patriot League standings.
Series with Army
• The Greyhounds lead the series 3-1.
• Loyola is 1-1 at Christl Arena, with the latest loss in 2010.
• Last season, the Greyhounds defeated the Black Knights, 68-64, in Reitz Arena.
• Loyola had four players in double-digits, as Miriam McKenzie, Katie Sheahin, Nicole Krusen, and Kara Marshall recorded 56 of the teams 68 points.
• Entering Monday’s matchup, the Greyhounds are 21-35 in Patriot League games.
• Loyola takes a holiday break before starting conference play in Fairfield, Conn., taking on the Fairfield Stags Jan. 4 at 7 p.m.
Loyola vs. The MAAC
• Loyola was picked to finish third in the MAAC preseason coaches poll. The Greyhounds finished only 16 points behind Niagara University. In a unanimous vote, the seven-time defending champion Marist College Red Foxes took first.
• The Greyhounds went 9-9 in conference play last season, notching a 6-3 record against teams when playing them for a second time.
• Marist was the only team that swept Loyola during the regular-season. The Greyhounds split with every other team besides Siena, who they beat in both meetings.
• The Greyhounds are 189-193 all-time against Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference opponents, including 69-58 under Head Coach Joe Logan.
• Logan has the most wins of any Loyola head coach in program history against conference opponents.
• The Greyhounds are 115-79 at home against the MAAC, including 38-25 under Logan.
• The Greyhounds are 78-111 on the road against the MAAC, including 31-32 under Logan.
• Senior Katie Sheahin leads the Greyhounds on the scoreboard, averaging 14.9 points per game, and scoring a season-best 22 points against American on Dec. 1, 2012.
• Sheahin matched her career best, going 8-8 from the charity stripe against No. 5 Maryland on Nov. 11, 2012.
• The guard enters her final season as the MAAC Preseason Player of the Year, earning a spot on the preseason conference first team.
• Sheahin led the Greyhounds in scoring last season, totaling 453 points for an average of 15.1 per game. She was the fourth player in Greyhound history to average more than 15 points per game since 1990, joining Patty Stoffey, Lynn Albert and former teammate Miriam McKenzie.
• Sheahin also led the team in steals with 102, the second most in a single season in Loyola history, as well as assists with 93, and blocks with 34.
• She ranks fifth all-time at Loyola with 94 career blocks and was one of the top guards in the country last season, at 1.1 blocks per game. She finished the 2011-12 season ranked fourth in the MAAC.
• Last season, she scored in double figures in 11-straight games to end the year.
• Over that stretch, Sheahin averaged 16.4 points per game to go with 5.4 rebounds and 3.4 steals.
• Sheahin scored 20-plus points three times last season, including back-to-back games against George Washington and American. She tied her career-high with 28 points at George Washington.
New Kids on the Block
• All five freshman made their collegiate debut in the season opener against the Hartford Hawks.
• Diana Logan was the first rookie to score double digits against UMBC Nov. 17, 2012. The guard went 4-8 from the field, connecting on one basket from downtown. Three weeks later, Logan would record a repeat performance, posting ten points against the Lehigh Mountain Hawks.
• The freshman class has played 343 minutes, scoring 77 points in ten games.
Checking the List Twice
• Senior guard Katie Sheahin was named the 2011-12 MAAC Defensive Player of the Year, as voted on by the league’s coaches.
• It was the second-straight year Sheahin earned the honor, becoming just the second player in conference history to be named Defensive Player of the Year in back-to-back seasons.
• In 2011-12, Sheahin led the conference with 3.4 steals per game, recording 102 total thefts, the second-most in school history.
• She also ranked fourth in blocks at 1.1 per game, turning back 34 last season.
A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words
• Katie Sheahin scored her 1,000th career point against Iona on Feb. 10, 2012, becoming the 20th player in Greyhound history to reach the achievement.
• It was the second season in a row that the Greyhounds had a junior reach the 1,000-point mark after Miriam McKenzie did so in 2010-11.
Home Sweet Home
• The Greyhounds are 3-1 at Reitz Arena this year.
• Head coach Joe Logan has led the team to 34-33 on the home hardwood.
• Kara Marshall is second on the team in points, averaging 7.5 ppg in the 2012-13 season.
• The sophomore guard earned 2012 preseason All-MAAC second team honors, in only her second year as a Greyhound.
• Marshall finished her rookie year ranked second on the Loyola All-Time Freshman scoring list with 329 points last season. Only Patty Stoffey scored more points as a freshman at Loyola with 443 in the 1991-92 season.
• Marshall finished the 2011-12 season ranked ninth in the MAAC in conference games at 13.0 points per game, and ranked second among freshman overall in scoring at 11.0 points per game. Overall, she ranked first in the conference among freshmen in steals (2.0 per game) and third in 3-point field goals made (1.5).
• The 5-8 guard earned a spot on the 2011-12 All-MAAC Rookie team.
Cruisin’ Down the Hardwood
• Junior Nicole Krusen recorded her first career double-double against UMBC Saturday, Nov. 17, 2012. The guard posted 15 points and 10 boards, going 5-8 from behind the arc.
• Krusen led the Loyola reserves last season with 3.9 points per game. The six-foot guard connected on 31-of-90 3-point attempts in 2011-12, leading the team at 34.4-percent.
• In the post, the Greyhounds are led by Alyssa Sutherland and Nneka Offodile, averaging 7.2 and 4.8 points per game, respectively.
• Sutherland averages 4.4 boards, and is currently third on the tream in rebounds. Sutherland scored double-digits in three-consecutive games recording six assists and three blocks in those contests.
• Offodile ranks second on the team in rebounds, averaging 5.0 boards per game. The junior forward holds the team-season-record with 10 rebounds against Howard.
Hitting the Free Ones
• Nicole Krusen leads the Greyhounds from the line, going 9-10, or 90 percent. Senior Alyssa Sutherland and Diana Logan follow close behind, going 75 percent from the charity stripe.
• Sheahin went 8-8 fom the line against Maryland in 2012, a rematch of her career-high.
• On Dec. 1, the Greyhounds shot a season-best 75 percent from the free-throw-line, making 18 of their 24 attempts.
• In 2011-12, the Greyhounds finished fourth in the MAAC, hitting 72.0-percent (391-of-543) of their free-throw attempts.
• The percentage ranked as the fifth-highest single-season team percentage in Loyola history.
• Katie Sheahin started the 2012-13 season where she ended last season.
• Offensively, the senior posted double figures for the first five games of the 2012-13 season.
• Sheahin recorded a season-best 22 points against the American Eagles, on Dec. 1 in Reitz Arena. The senior grabbed her eighth-career 20+ point game.
• Last season, Sheahin scored in double figures in 11-straight games to end the year.
• Over that stretch, Sheahin averaged 16.4 points per game to go with 5.4 rebounds and 3.4 steals.
Not Your Average Joe
• Head coach Joe Logan enters his eighth season at the helm for the Greyhounds, with a 113-111 career record. He has led Loyola to two MAAC Title games, and a WNIT invitation in 2009.
• Logan became the all-time winningest coach in Loyola women’s basketball history with a, 67-54, win at Siena on January 7, 2012.
• Logan has led Loyola to two 20-plus win seasons in his tenure, including tying a program record with 21 wins in 2010-11.
• Logan is assisted by Alisha Mosley, Jill Glessner, Keith Booth, and Director of Basketball Operations Erica DiClemente.
Women's Basketball Welcomes ECU To The...
Loyola University Maryland women's basketball continues its seven-game homestand on Tuesday,...
Women's Basketball Downs Mount St. Mary's For...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team picked up its first win of the 2014-15...
Women's Basketball Hosts Mount St. Mary's In...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team welcomes Mount St. Mary's to Reitz Arena...
Towson Holds Off Women's Basketball Despite...
Loyola University Maryland cut a one-time 19-point Towson University lead to two with less than...
Women's Basketball Opens 2014-15 Home Schedule ...
Loyola will make its 2014-15 home debut on Thursday, Dec. 4, when it hosts Towson University at 7...
Women's Basketball Suffers Road Loss To Pittsburgh
The University of Pittsburgh outscored the Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team 23-...
Women's Basketball Closes Out November At...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team concludes its five-game season-opening...
Women's Basketball Alumnae Day - Dec. 6
Loyola University Maryland will celebrate Alumni Day on Saturday, Dec. 6, when the women's...
Saturday, Dec 20 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Saint Peter's Reitz Arena 5:00 PM Video Monday, Dec 22 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Cornell Reitz Arena 2:00 PM Video Sunday, Dec 28 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE George Washington Reitz Arena 2:00 PM Video Wednesday, Dec 31 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Navy Reitz Arena 2:00 PM Video Saturday, Jan 3 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Army West Point, N.Y. 1:00 PM Wednesday, Jan 7 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE American Washington, D.C. 7:00 PM