Women's Basketball Welcomes American To Reitz Arena
Nov. 30, 2012
|Opponent||American University Eagles|
|Date||Saturday, December 1, 2012|
|Location||Baltimore, Md. | Reitz Arena|
|Online Media||Mobile Stats | Video | Audio | Live Stats|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
Last Time Out
• Loyola fell to a hard-fought contest at Howard, 40-37, on Wednesday, Nov. 28.
• Senior Alyssa Sutherland recorded a team best 11 points.
• Nneka Offodile recorded 10 boards in Burr Gymnasium, a season-best for the junior forward.
• Loyola outshot Howard from the free-throw line, 70 percent - 38.9 percent.
• The Greyhound bench recorded 11 points, to the Bison zero.
Scouting the Eagles
• The Eagles enter Sunday’s contest 2-3, with the latest victory over UMBC 85-57.
• Three Eagles scored double-digits, leading American to their second straight win of the season. Jen Dumiak matched her career-high 21 points against the Retrievers, while Alexis Dobbs and Geleisa George added 18 and 11 points respectively.
• American shot a season best 54.2 percent from the field, recording 45.5 percent from behind the arc.
• This season, Stephanie Anya leads the Eagles with 19 rebounds, while Dumiak follows close behind with 17.
• Dumiak averages 17.6 points a game for the American Eagles
Series with American
• American, the 2011-12 Patriot League Regular Season Champion, leads the series 11-3.
• The teams first met in the 1976-77 season, when the Greyhounds defeated the Eagles 107-60.
• All three Loyola wins have taken place at home.
• In their last meeting (12/12/11), American defeated Loyola 63-48.
• Senior Katie Sheahin recorded 22 points and 3 assists, her second 20+ point game in a row, after recording 28 against Georgetown.
• Nneka Offodile led the team in rebounds, grabbing 7 boards against the Eagles.
• Loyla welcomes Lehigh University to Reitz Arena for a 7 p.m. matchup Monday, Dec. 3.
Loyola vs. The MAAC
• Loyola was picked to finish third in the preseason coaches poll. The Greyhounds finished only 16 points behind Niagara University. In a unanimous vote, the seven-time defending champion Marist College Red Foxes took first.
• The Greyhounds went 9-9 in conference play last season, notching a 6-3 record against teams when playing them for a second time.
• Marist was the only team that swept Loyola during the regular-season. The Greyhounds split with every other team besides Siena, who they beat in both meetings.
• The Greyhounds are 192-191 all-time against Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference opponents, including 69-57 under Head Coach Joe Logan.
• Logan has the most wins of any Loyola head coach in program history against conference opponents.
• The Greyhounds are 115-79 at home against the MAAC, including 38-25 under Logan.
• The Greyhounds are 78-111 on the road against the MAAC, including 31-32 under Logan.
• Senior Katie Sheahin leads the Greyhounds on the scoreboard, averaging 13.8 points per game.
• Sheahin matched her career best, going 8-8 from the charity stripe against the number five ranked Maryland Terps on Nov. 11, 2012.
• The guard enters her final season as the MAAC Preseason Player of the Year, earning a spot on the preseason conference first team.
• Sheahin led the Greyhounds in scoring last season, totaling 453 points for an average of 15.1 per game. She was the fourth player in Greyhound history to average more than 15 points per game since 1990, joining Patty Stoffey, Lynn Albert and former teammate Miriam McKenzie.
• Sheahin also led the team in steals with 102, the second most in a single season in Loyola history, as well as assists with 93, and blocks with 34.
• She ranks fifth all-time at Loyola with 94 career blocks and was one of the top guards in the country last season, at 1.1 blocks per game. She finished the 2011-12 season ranked fourth in the MAAC.
• Last season, she scored in double figures in 11-straight games to end the year.
• Over that stretch, Sheahin averaged 16.4 points per game to go with 5.4 rebounds and 3.4 steals.
• Sheahin scored 20-plus points three times last season, including back-to-back games against George Washington and American. She tied her career-high with 28 points at George Washington.
New Kids on the Block
• All five freshman made their collegiate debut in the season opener agaisnt the Hartford Hawks.
• Diana Logan was the first rookie to score double digits against UMBC Nov. 17, 2012. The guard went 4-8 from the field, connecting on one basket from downtown.
• The freshman class has played 178 minutes, scoring 38 points in six games.
Checking the List Twice
• Senior guard Katie Sheahin was named the 2011-12 MAAC Defensive Player of the Year, as voted on by the league’s coaches.
• It was the second-straight year Sheahin earned the honor, becoming just the second player in conference history to be named Defensive Player of the Year in back-to-back seasons.
• In 2011-12, Sheahin led the conference with 3.4 steals per game, recording 102 total thefts, the second-most in school history.
• She also ranked fourth in blocks at 1.1 per game, turning back 34 last season.
A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words
• Katie Sheahin scored her 1,000th career point against Iona on Feb. 10, 2012, becoming the 20th player in Greyhound history to reach the achievement.
• It was the second season in a row that the Greyhounds had a junior reach the 1,000-point mark after Miriam McKenzie did so in 2010-11.
Home Sweet Home
• The Greyhounds are 1-1 at Reitz Arena, tied with games on the road.
• Head coach Joe Logan has led the team to 32-33 on the home hardwood, with a 1-1 record this season.
• Sophomore guard Kara Marshall earned 2012 preseason All-MAAC second team honors, in only her second year as a Greyhound.
• Marshall finished her rookie year ranked second on the Loyola All-Time Freshman scoring list with 329 points last season. Only Patty Stoffey scored more points as a freshman at Loyola with 443 in the 1991-92 season.
• Marshall finished the 2011-12 season ranked ninth in the MAAC in conference games at 13.0 points per game, and ranked second among freshman overall in scoring at 11.0 points per game. Overall, she ranked first in the conference among freshmen in steals (2.0 per game) and third in 3-point field goals made (1.5).
• Last season, she tied for fifth in three-point field goals made with 45, and also was ninth in free-throw percentage, connecting on 78-of-96 (81.3-percent) from the line.
• The 5-8 guard earned a spot on the 2011-12 All-MAAC Rookie team.
Cruisin’ Down the Hardwood
• Junior Nicole Krusen recorded her first career double-double against UMBC Saturday, Nov. 17, 2012. The guard posted 15 points and ten boards, going 5-8 from behind the arc.
• Krusen led the Loyola reserves last season, with 3.9 points per game. The six-foot guard connected on 31-of-90 3-point attempts in 2011-12, leading the team at 34.4-percent.
• In 2011-12, the Greyhounds were led by Alyssa Sutherland and Nneka Offodile in the post, with Sutherland averaging 6.8 points and Offodile averaging 5.8 per game.
• Sutherland also averaged 5.0 rebounds and was second on the team with 74 assists and tied for fourth with 53 steals last season.
• Sutherland was in double figures six times last season, including a career-high 18 points in a win at Niagara. She also had four or more rebounds 17 times.
• Offodile pulled down 4.8 rebounds per game and was second on the team with 20 blocks in 2011-12. She shot 82.5-percent (33-for-40) from the free-throw line.
• Offodile also scored in double figures six times last season, with a career-high 11 points twice and recorded five or more rebounds 16 times.
Hitting the Free Ones
• Alyssa Sutherland has crushed every shot from the charity stripe. Katie Sheahin, Nicole Krusen, and Tiffany Padgett follow close behind, going 83 percent from the free-throw line.
• Senior Katie Sheahin went 8-8 fom the line against Maryland in 2012.
• In 2011-12, the Greyhounds finished fourth in the MAAC, hitting 72.0-percent (391-of-543) of their free-throw attempts.
• The percentage ranked as the fifth highest single-season team percentage in Loyola history.
• Sheahin started the 2012-13 season where she ended last season.
• Offensively, the senior posted double figures for the first five games of the 2012-13 season.
• Last season, Sheahin scored in double figures in 11-straight games to end the year.
• Over that stretch, Sheahin averaged 16.4 points per game to go with 5.4 rebounds and 3.4 steals.
Not Your Average Joe
• Head coach Joe Logan enters his eighth season at the helm for the Greyhounds, with a 111-109 career record. He has led Loyola to two MAAC Title games, and a WNIT invitation in 2009.
• Logan became the all-time winningest coach in Loyola women’s basketball history with a, 67-54, win at Siena on January 7, 2012.
• Coach Logan has led Loyola to two 20-plus win seasons in his tenure, including tying a program record with 21 wins in 2010-11.
• Logan is assisted by Alisha Mosley, Jill Glessner, Keith Booth, and Director of Basketball Operations Erica DiClemente.
Norfolk State Visits Reitz Arena To Face Women'...
On Saturday afternoon, Loyola women's basketball will take on Norfolk State University for the...
Fairfield Too Much For Women's Basketball In...
The Loyola University Maryland women’s basketball team dropped a 71-45 contest to Fairfield...
Home Opener Wednesday When Women's...
On Wednesday night, Loyola University Maryland women's basketball will play in its third game in ...
Women’s Basketball Drops Monday Night...
The Loyola University Maryland women’s basketball fell to Villanova University, 67-55,...
Women's Basketball Travels To Villanova Monday
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team travels to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to ...
Second-Half Shooting Lifts Women's Basketball...
Loyola University Maryland women’s basketball opened the 2015-16 regular season with a win ...
Women's Basketball Opens Season At Lipscomb...
Loyola University Maryland opens its 44th season of women’s basketball action on Friday,...
Marshall Named To Preseason All-Patriot League ...
Senior Colleen Marshall was named to the Preseason All-Patriot League Team and the Loyola...
Saturday, Nov 28 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Columbia New York, N.Y. 2:00 PM Live Stats Video
Wednesday, Dec 2 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Old Dominion Norfolk, Va. 11:00 AM Live Stats Video
Saturday, Dec 5 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Mount St. Mary's Emmitsburg, Md. 4:30 PM Live Stats Video
Tuesday, Dec 8 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Maryland College Park, Md. 7:00 PM Sunday, Dec 20 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE UMBC Reitz Arena 12:00 PM Video Tuesday, Dec 22 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE St. Francis Brooklyn Brooklyn, N.Y. 1:00 PM