Women's Basketball Travels To Pittsburgh Friday
Nov. 15, 2011
|Date||Friday, November 18, 2011|
|Location||Pittsburgh, Pa. | Petersen Events Center|
|Online Media||Audio| Video|LiveStats|
|Game Notes||Game Notes|
- The Loyola University Maryland women’s basketball team plays its third game in the span of one week as they travel to Pittsburgh, Pa., to take on the Pittsburgh Panthers at the Petersen Events Center for a rare 11 a.m. tip on Friday, November 18.
- Loyola finished 2-5 away from home in non-conference games in 2010-11. The team’s last non-conference road win came in the first round of the Women’s National Invitational Tournament when the Greyhounds defeated Old Dominion, 67-65.
- The Greyhounds are coming off a, 42-38, win over Navy while Pittsburgh dropped its first game, 60-37, to Hampton.
Scouting the Panthers
- Pittsburgh finished the 2010-11 season 14-17 overall and 5-11 in the BIG EAST conference.
- The Panthers dropped their season-opener against Hampton, falling 60-37, at the hands of the Lady Pirates.
- Pittsburgh was picked to finish 12th in the 2011-12 BIG EAST Preseason Coaches’ Poll.
- The Panthers are the youngest team in NCAA Division I in 2011-12 with seven sophomores and five freshmen.
- Pittsburgh welcomes seven new faces this year, with six true freshmen.
- This marks the third meeting between the Panthers and the Greyhounds, as the teams face-off in Pittsburgh for the second-straight year.
- The Panthers have won each of the previous two matchups, including a 73-45 victory last season at the Peterson Events Center.
- Pittsburgh Associate Head Coach Patty Coyle was the head coach at Loyola University Maryland for six seasons from 1992-1998
- She stands as the all-time winningest coach in program history with a record of 100-77 and guided the Greyhounds to the MAAC championship game four times in five years.
- Loyola captured tournament titles in 1994 and 1995, making the school's only two NCAA tournament appearances in those two seasons.
Loyola vs. the BIG EAST
- Loyola is 7-19 all-time against current members of the BIG EAST conference.
- The Greyhounds have three victories apiece over Villanova and Georgetown and one against Seton Hall.
- Loyola only has a winning record against Villanova, going 3-2 against the Wildcats
- The Greyhounds last defeated a BIG EAST opponent on Nov. 11, 2007 when they beat Villanova 49-47 at home. The team’s last road win over a BIG EAST team was on Dec. 28, 2006 also against Villanova.
Current Greyhounds vs. Pittsburgh
- Nine current Greyhounds appeared in last year’s meeting with the Panthers.
- Miriam McKenzie led Loyola with 12 points and six rebounds while also dishing out three assists.
- Alyssa Sutherland scored eight points, which was a career-high at the time, on 3-of-7 shooting.
- Katie Sheahin contributed eight points in the contest to go with three assists in two steals
- The Greyhounds welcome four freshmen to the Evergreen Campus this season: Kara Marshall, Cierra Darden, Nai Brown and Steph Smith.
- Marshall, Brown and Smith all made their collegiate debuts at Maryland on Nov. 11.
- Through the first two games Marshall has averaged 4.5 points, 1.0 rebounds and 27.5 minutes as a backup point guard.
- Smith also has made solid contributions off the bench, averaging 2.5 points and 4.5 rebounds.
Last Time Out
- The Greyhounds notched a, 42-38, victory over Navy in the team’s home opener.
- Miriam McKenzie scored 20 points, including 15 of Loyola’s final 19 to lead the Greyhounds to the win.
- The senior guard hit a pair of free throws with 11.7 seconds remaining to seal the victory.
- Katie Sheahin tied a career high with seven steals, while Nneka Offodile had seven points and seven rebounds.
Stealing the Show
- Katie Sheahin had a breakout season in 2010-11, finishing the year ranked second in the NCAA in steals per game (3.5) and setting the single-season record at Loyola for steals in a season (118).
- Sheahin has picked up this season right where she left off, registering her 26th and 27th career games with 3+ steals.
- The Brookeville, Md., native tied a career high with seven steals against Navy (11/13)
- It was the eighth time in her career that Sheahin had seven steals. She ranks first in Loyola history, averaging 3.0 steals per game and eighth on the all-time career steals list with 179.
No Need For Points
- The 42 points scored by the Greyhounds in their win over Navy on Nov. 13 were the fewest the team had scored in a win since defeating Notre Dame of Maryland 38-22 in the1974-75 season.
Climbing the Charts
- Miriam McKenzie became the 19th player in Loyola history to eclipse the 1,000-point mark last season, and enters Friday’s game 17th on the all-time chart with 1,035 career points.
- Loyola allowed just 38 points to Navy in a 42-38 win on Nov. 13
- It was the first time Loyola had held a team under 40 points since Jan. 29, 2000 when they held Marist to 39.
- It was the fewest amount of points the Greyhounds had allowed since Feb. 22, 1995 when they defeated Lafayette 78-29.
- The Greyhounds return to Reitz Arena to host local rival UMBC on Tuesday, November 22, at 7 p.m.
- Loyola is 25-9 all-time against the Retrievers after having a three-game series winning streak snapped last year.
Women's Basketball Welcomes ECU To The...
Loyola University Maryland women's basketball continues its seven-game homestand on Tuesday,...
Women's Basketball Downs Mount St. Mary's For...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team picked up its first win of the 2014-15...
Women's Basketball Hosts Mount St. Mary's In...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team welcomes Mount St. Mary's to Reitz Arena...
Towson Holds Off Women's Basketball Despite...
Loyola University Maryland cut a one-time 19-point Towson University lead to two with less than...
Women's Basketball Opens 2014-15 Home Schedule ...
Loyola will make its 2014-15 home debut on Thursday, Dec. 4, when it hosts Towson University at 7...
Women's Basketball Suffers Road Loss To Pittsburgh
The University of Pittsburgh outscored the Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team 23-...
Women's Basketball Closes Out November At...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team concludes its five-game season-opening...
Women's Basketball Alumnae Day - Dec. 6
Loyola University Maryland will celebrate Alumni Day on Saturday, Dec. 6, when the women's...
Saturday, Dec 20 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Saint Peter's Reitz Arena 5:00 PM Video Monday, Dec 22 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Cornell Reitz Arena 2:00 PM Video Sunday, Dec 28 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE George Washington Reitz Arena 2:00 PM Video Wednesday, Dec 31 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Navy Reitz Arena 2:00 PM Video Saturday, Jan 3 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Army West Point, N.Y. 1:00 PM Wednesday, Jan 7 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE American Washington, D.C. 7:00 PM