Greyhounds Host Navy In Home Opener Sunday
Nov. 12, 2011
|Date||Sunday, November 13, 2011|
|Location||Baltimore, Md. | Reitz Arena|
|Online Media||Audio|Live Stats|Video|
|Game Notes||Game Notes|
- The Loyola University Maryland women’s basketball team plays its home opener against Navy on Sunday, November 13, at 5 p.m.
- The Greyhounds are 24-16 all-time in home-openers and 2-4 under Head Coach Joe Logan.
- Loyola lost its home-opener last year, 64-57, against La Salle. The Greyhounds last won a home opener against Army in 2009.
- Loyola finished 9-6 at home in 2010-11, going 2-4 at Reitz Arena in non-conference games.
- Both the Greyhounds and the Midshipmen lost their first games of the season. Loyola fell, 86-46, at No. 11/10 Maryland, while Navy lost to Richmond, 56-39.
- Loyola will raise its 2011-12 WNIT banner in a pregame ceremony.
Scouting the Midshipmen
- Navy captured its first Patriot League title in school history, going 20-12 overall and 10-4 in league play in 2010-11
- The Midshipmen lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament to DePaul, 56-43.
- Navy was selected to finish 3rd in the Patriot League Preseason Coaches’ Poll.
- Jade Geif was selected as the 2011-12 Patriot League Preseason Player of the Year. Geif was the 2010-11 Rookie of the Year as well as MVP of the Patriot League Tournament
- Navy dropped a 56-39 decision at Richmond in the team’s season opener on Friday night.
- This marks the 15th meeting between the Greyhounds and the Midshipmen, with Navyholding an 11-3 advantage. The Greyhounds’ won the last meeting between the two teams on Dec. 3, 2010, beating the Midshipmen 57-54 on the road.
- Loyola’s last home win in the series was on MArch 2, 1979 when they edged Navy 71-67.
Loyola vs. the Patriot League
- Loyola is 18-32 all-time against Patriot League opponents, with the team’s last win coming against Navy, 57-54, on Dec. 3, 2010 in Annapolis, Md.
- All three of the team’s victories have come against Maryland.
- The Greyhounds last home win against a Patriot League team was last season when they beat Bucknell, 59-55, on December 1, 2010.
Current Greyhounds vs. Navy
- Seven current Greyhounds have appeared in games against the Midshipmen over the past two years.
- Miriam McKenzie leads the Greyhounds, averaging 14.0 points and 8.0 rebounds per game. McKenzie registered a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds her sophomore season.
- Alyssa Sutherland had 11 points in last year’s meeting and is averaging eight points a game against the Midshipmen.
- Katie Sheahin scored seven points and had seven assists in the meeting last year.
- The Greyhounds hit the road to take on Pittsburgh on Friday, November 18 at the Petersen Event Cents.
- Loyola is 0-2 all-time against the Panthers, losing 73-45 in last year’s meeting in Pittsburgh
‘Hounds Picked Second in MAAC Preseason Poll
- Loyola was picked to finish second in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Preseason Coaches’ Poll.
- The Greyhounds received 84 points with Marist being chosen as the unanimous preseason favorite.
- The second-place ranking is the highest under head coach Joe Logan and is the best for the program since it was selected to win the league in 2004.
McKenzie, Sheahin Earn Preseason Accolades
- Miriam McKenzie and Katie Sheahin were both named to the Preseason All-MAAC First Team team as voted on by the league’s head coaches.
- McKenzie was an All-MAAC First Team selection in 2010-11, while Sheahin made the Second Team.
- Three freshmen made their collegiate debuts for the Greyhounds in Friday night’s loss at Maryland: Kara Marshall, Nai Brown and Steph Smith
- Marshall scored five points in 20 minutes of action, Smith had four rebounds in 16 minutes and Brown recorded a block in nine minutes
Last Time Out
- Loyola dropped an 84-46 decision at No. 11/10 Maryland in the season opener for both teams on Friday night.
- Reigning ACC Rookie of the Year Alyssa Thomas led all scorers with 20 points at the Terrapins shot 50-percent from the floor.
- Katie Sheahin led the Greyhounds with 13 points, seven rebounds and three steals
- After trailing 8-0 to start the game, Loyola went on a 7-0 run to cut the deficit to one with 17 minutes remaining in the first half, but could not grab a lead in the contest.
2010-11: A Year to Remember
- The Greyhounds are coming off one of their most successful seasons in program history, finishing 21-13 with a 15-3 mark in MAAC play.
- The 21 wins tied a program record set in 1998-99, while the 15 MAAC wins were the most in school history.
- The team also had its first postseason victory, defeating Old Dominion in the first round of the WNIT before losing to Virginia in the second round.
- Loyola made a run to the finals of the MAAC Tournament before losing in the finals to Marist.
- From January 26 until February 25, the Greyhounds tied the longest winning streak in program history by rattling off nine-straight victories.
Stealing the Show
- Katie Sheahin had a breakout season in 2010-11, finishing the year ranked second in the NCAA in steals per game (3.5) and setting the single-season record at Loyola for steals in a season (118).
- Sheahin continued that trend in the first game of the season, notching her 26th career game with three-plus steals.
On a Roll
- With 13 points against Maryland, Katie Sheahin has reached double figures in 15-straight contests including the final 14 of 2010-11
- Sheahin also has started 36-straight games
Sheahin Named Top Mid-Major Players to Watch by ESPN.com
- Katie Sheahin was named one of the top-10 Mid-Major Players to Watch according to ESPN.com’s Graham Hays.
Not Your Average Joe
- Head coach Joe Logan enters the season with 96 career victories, needing just five more to become the all-time wins leader in Loyola history
- Logan has led Loyola to two 20-plus win seasons in his tenure, including tying a program record with 21 wins last season.
Booth, Williamson Join Coaching Staff
- The Greyhounds welcome assistant coach Keith Booth and Director of Basketball Operations Erica Williamson to the sideline this season.
- Booth, a Baltimore native, comes to Loyola after spending the past seven seasons as an assistant coach under former head coach Gary Williams with the Maryland men’s program.
- Booth played four years at Maryland where he finished among the Terrapins’ all-time leaders in scoring (9th with 1,776 points), rebounding (6th with 916 points) and steals (5th with 193). He is one of 15 players to have his jersey honored above Maryland’s home court at the Comcast Center.
- Booth also was a member of the 1998 NBA World Champion Chicago Bulls.
- Williamson was a four-year standout at the University of Notre Dame where she helped the Irish to two trips to the NCAA Sweet Sixteen in 2008 and 2010.
- She ranks eighth in Notre Dame history with 125 career blocks.
- Williamson played overseas in Germany where she was the starting center for the SV Halle Lions before having reconstructive ankle surgery that ended her playing career.
- Williamson was the President of the Student-Athlete Advisory Council as a senior at Notre Dame.
Women's Basketball Travels To Bucknell On...
Loyola University Maryland women's basketball will play its second-straight game on the road on...
Betz-White Named Lids Team Sports Patriot...
Loyola University of Maryland women's basketball freshman Bri Betz-White earned Lids Team Sports ...
Women's Basketball Tops Boston University On...
Bri Betz-White scored a career-high to lead three Loyola University Maryland players in double...
Saturday Matinee Set For Women's Basketball...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team takes to the road for the first of two-str...
Lead Slips Away For Women's Basketball Against ...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team was unable to hold on to its lead against ...
Women's Basketball Hosts Lafayette For Field...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team will host Lafayette College on Wednesday...
Women's Basketball Hands Lehigh Its First...
Led by a career-high 20 points from Diana Logan, the Loyola University Maryland women's...
Lehigh Marks First Of Two-Straight Home Games...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team returns to Reitz Arena to host a pair of...
Thursday, Jan 29 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Holy Cross Worcester, Mass. 7:00 PM Live Stats | Video
Saturday, Jan 31 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Army Reitz Arena 2:00 PM Video Wednesday, Feb 4 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE American Reitz Arena 7:00 PM Video Saturday, Feb 7 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Lehigh Bethlehem, Pa. 2:00 PM Wednesday, Feb 11 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Lafayette Easton, Pa. 7:00 PM Saturday, Feb 14 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Boston University Reitz Arena 2:00 PM Video