Women's Basketball Opens Season At No. 11 Maryland
Nov. 8, 2011
|Date||Friday, November 11, 2011|
|Location||College Park, Md. | Comcast Center|
|Online Media||Audio|Live Stats|Video|
|Game Notes||Game Notes|
- The Loyola University Maryland women’s basketball team opens the season against the No. 11/10 Maryland Terrapins on Friday, Nov. 11, 2011 at the Comcast Center in College Park, Md., at 7 p.m.
- The Greyhounds are 17-22 all-time in season openers and 3-3 under head coach Joe Logan.
- Loyola lost its 2010-11 season opener at West Virginia, 80-49.
- The Greyhounds are coming off one of their best seasons in program history, finishing 21-13 overall and 15-3 in the MAAC. The squad won its first postseason game in program history, beating Old Dominion in the first round of the WNIT.
Scouting the Terrapins
- The Terrapins earned their 19th NCAA Tournament appearance in 2010-11, finishing the season 24-8 overall and 9-5 in the ACC.
- Forward Alyssa Thomas was named ACC Rookie of the Year in 2010-11 after averaging 15.7 ppg and 8.4 rpg.
- The Terps were picked to finish third in the ACC this season and begin the year ranked No. 10 by the AP and No. 11 by the ESPN/USA Today.
- This marks the 21st meeting between the Greyhounds and the Terrapins, with Maryland holding a 17-3 advantage. The Greyhounds’ last win came on Nov. 17, 1998 in Baltimore.
Loyola vs. the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC)
- Loyola is 3-27 all-time vs. ACC opponents, with the team’s last win coming on November 17, 1998 against Maryland in Baltimore.
- All three of the team’s victories have come against Maryland.
- The Greyhounds have won just one game on the road against an ACC team; a 57-50 decision at UMD on November 19, 1997.
Current Greyhounds vs. Maryland
- Seven current Greyhounds have appeared in games against the Terrapins over the last three seasons.
- Miriam McKenzie leads the Greyhounds, averaging 8.0 points and 5.0 rebounds per game against the Terps in three games.
- Katie Sheahin is averaging 7.0 points and 4.5 rebounds per game against Maryland.
- Alyssa Sutherland scored 10 points and had three rebounds when the team’s matched up last season.
- Current Greyhound assistant coach Keith Booth was an assistant for Maryland’s men’s team the past seven season under former head coach Gary Williams.
- The Greyhounds play their home opener on Sunday against Navy at 5 p.m.
- Loyola is 3-11 all-time against the Midshipmen after winning last year’s game, 57-54, in Annapolis.
- Loyola will raise its 2011 Women’s National Invitation Tournament banner in a pregame ceremony.
‘Hounds Picked Second in MAAC Preseason Poll
- Loyola was picked to finish second in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Preseason Coaches’ Poll.
- The Greyhounds received 84 points with Marist being chosen as the unanimous preseason favorite.
- The second-place ranking is the highest under head coach Joe Logan and is the best for the program since it was selected to win the league in 2004.
McKenzie, Sheahin Earn Preseason Accolades
- Miriam McKenzie and Katie Sheahin were both named to the Preseason All-MAAC First Team team as voted on by the league’s head coaches.
- McKenzie was an All-MAAC First Team selection in 2010-11, while Sheahin made the Second Team.
2010-11: A Year to Remember
- The Greyhounds are coming off one of their most successful seasons in program history, finishing 21-13 with a 15-3 mark in MAAC play.
- The 21 wins tied a program record set in 1998-99, while the 15 MAAC wins were the most in school history.
- The team also had its first postseason victory, defeating Old Dominion in the first round of the WNIT before losing to Virginia in the second round.
- Loyola made a run to the finals of the MAAC Tournament before losing in the finals to Marist.
- From January 26 until February 25, the Greyhounds tied the longest winning streak in program history by rattling off nine-straight victories.
Stealing the Show
- Katie Sheahin had a breakout season in 2010-11, finishing the year ranked second in the NCAA in steals per game (3.5) and setting the single-season record at Loyola for steals in a season (118).
- Sheahin also had the second-most assists in program history in a single season with 134. She tied the single-game record for assists with 11 on December 11, 2010 against Mount St. Mary’s.
Streaking into a New Year
- Katie Sheahin has reached double figures in 14-straight contests entering the 2011-12 season.
- Sheahin also has started 35-straight games coming into the season.
Not Your Average Joe
- Head coach Joe Logan enters the season with 96 career victories, needing just five more to become the all-time wins leader in Loyola history
- Logan has led Loyola to two 20-plus win seasons in his tenure, including tying a program record with 21 wins last season.
Booth, Williamson Join Coaching Staff
- The Greyhounds welcome assistant coach Keith Booth and Director of Basketball Operations Erica Williamson to the sideline this season.
- Booth, a Baltimore native, comes to Loyola after spending the past seven seasons as an assistant coach under former head coach Gary Williams with the Maryland men’s program.
- Booth played four years at Maryland where he finished among the Terrapins’ all-time leaders in scoring (9th with 1,776 points), rebounding (6th with 916 points) and steals (5th with 193). He is one of 15 players to have his jersey honored above Maryland’s home court at the Comcast Center.
- Booth also was a member of the 1998 NBA World Champion Chicago Bulls.
- Williamson was a four-year standout at the University of Notre Dame where she helped the Irish to two trips to the NCAA Sweet Sixteen in 2008 and 2010.
- She ranks eighth in Notre Dame history with 125 career blocks.
- Williamson played overseas in Germany where she was the starting center for the SV Halle Lions before having reconstructive ankle surgery that ended her playing career.
- Williamson was the President of the Student-Athlete Advisory Council as a senior at Notre Dame.
Women's Basketball Welcomes Colgate To...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team returns to Reitz Arena after two Patriot...
Bucknell Tops Women's Basketball On The Road
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team fell to Bucknell University, 66-49,...
Women's Basketball Travels To Bucknell On...
Loyola University Maryland women's basketball will play its second-straight game on the road on...
Betz-White Named Lids Team Sports Patriot...
Loyola University of Maryland women's basketball freshman Bri Betz-White earned Lids Team Sports ...
Women's Basketball Tops Boston University On...
Bri Betz-White scored a career-high to lead three Loyola University Maryland players in double...
Saturday Matinee Set For Women's Basketball...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team takes to the road for the first of two-str...
Lead Slips Away For Women's Basketball Against ...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team was unable to hold on to its lead against ...
Women's Basketball Hosts Lafayette For Field...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team will host Lafayette College on Wednesday...
Thursday, Jan 29 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Holy Cross Worcester, Mass. W, 57-51 Live StatsÂ|ÂVideo
Saturday, Jan 31 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Army Reitz Arena 2:00 PM Video Wednesday, Feb 4 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE American Reitz Arena 7:00 PM Video Saturday, Feb 7 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Lehigh Bethlehem, Pa. 2:00 PM Wednesday, Feb 11 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Lafayette Easton, Pa. 7:00 PM Saturday, Feb 14 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Boston University Reitz Arena 2:00 PM Video