Women's Basketball Heads To Navy To Start Patriot League Championships Monday
|Date||Monday, March 5|
|Location||Annapolis, Md. | Alumni Hall|
|Watch||Patriot League Network|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter | Instagram|
Loyola Greyhounds (9-20, 7-11 Patriot League)
• Sophomore Stephanie Karcz was named the Patriot League Defensive Player of the Year and freshman Isabella Therien was voted the Patriot League Rookie of the Year to become the first Greyhounds to earn major year-end awards from the League office since Loyola joined the Patirot League for the 2013-14 season.
• Karcz also earned All-Patriot League First Team and a second-straight All-Defensive Team accolade, while Therien was featured on the All-Rookie Team.
• Karcz is one of three League players averaging a double-double this season, while she’s the only one in Patriot League games, as she’s sixth in the League in scoring (14.8) this year, second in rebounding (10.5), first in steals (3.6) and second in assists (3.9).
• Karcz also broke three of Loyola’s rebounding records this year - single-game (21 vs. American), single season (300) and single-season defensive rebounds (224) - and is chasing Loyola’s single-season steals record, set by Katie Sheahin’s at 118 in 2010-11.
• Karcz is ranked fourth in the NCAA in steals, with 112 this season.
• Therien, a five-time Patriot League Rookie of the Week, is ranked fourth in the League in scoring with 15.1 points per game. She’s also the sixth-ranked freshman in the NCAA in scoring this year.
• Alexis Gray, who broke the program’s single season record for 3-pointers made, is second in the League in 3-point field goals made, knocking down 61 this year.
Navy Midshipmen (23-6, 13-5 Patriot League)
• Taylor Dunham leads Navy with 14.6 points per game, while Hannah Fenske is at 10.9.
• Fenske also has a team-best 116 assists and 49 steals, while Kaila Clark leads the team in rebounding, with 8.6 per game.
• Navy leads the all-time series 19-8, but the two team’s split this season’s series, with each program winning its respective home game.
• Of the last seven meetings, the Greyhounds have won three of them, including a 44-42 Patriot League Tournament win during the 2015-16 season.
• The Greyhounds’ last win at Alumni Hall came in 2010, when Loyola earned a 59-55 victory over the Midshipmen.
• In the all-time series, six meetings have been decided by four points or less.
• Loyola celebrated its Senior Day on Saturday, February 14, by handing Navy an 18-point loss, 58-40, marking the Midshipmen’s largest margin of defeat this season.
• Freshman Isabella Therien led Loyola with a game-high 17 points and she grabbed seven rebounds, while Stephanie Karcz logged her ninth double-double of the year with 10 points and 14 rebounds.
• Navy did not have any player score in double figures, as it was led by Kaila Clark’s eight points and five rebounds.
• The winner of Monday’s game will advance to the semifinals and face the winner of the Holy Cross/Bucknell quarterfinal game on Thursday, March 8.