Women's Basketball Celebrates Senior Day Sunday
Feb. 25, 2012
|Opponent||Marist Red Foxes|
|Date||Sunday, February 26, 2012|
|Location||Baltimore, Md.| Reitz Arena|
|Online Media||Free Video|Free Audio|Live Stats|
|Game Notes||Game Notes|
- The Loyola University Maryland women’s basketball team wraps-up regular-season play on Sunday, February 26, at 4 p.m. at Reitz Arena against the Marist College Red Foxes.
- Prior to the game, the Greyhounds will honor seniors Kathleen Excellent, Kiara Henderson and Miriam McKenzie.
- Loyola also will host its annual Women in Sports Day.
- With a win coupled with a loss by Manhattan at Niagara, the Greyhounds will earn the No. 3 seed in the MAAC Championship. A loss or a win by Manhattan will land Loyola in the No. 4 seed.
- Loyola has clinched a .500 record in the conference for the fifth-time in head coach Joe Logan’s tenure. A victory would give Loyola 10 conference victories for the fourth time in seven seasons under Logan.
Scouting the Red Foxes
- Marist enters Sunday’s game with a 21-7 overall record, going 16-1 in conference play. The Red Foxes have wrapped-up the No. 1 seed in the MAAC Championship.
- Preseason MAAC Player of the Year, Corielle Yarde, paces the Red Foxes, at 14.0 points per game. She also leads the team with 115 assists.
- Brandy Gang is also in double figures at 12.2 points per game.
- The Red Foxes have had nine consecutive 20-win seasons.
- Marist is coming off a, 79-65, victory over Iona on Senior Day.
Series with Marist
- This is the 42nd meeting between the Greyhounds and the Red Foxes, with Marist holding a 28-13 advantage in the all-time series.
- The Greyhounds have lost 11-straight games to Marist, with two of those coming in the MAAC tournament.
- The Greyhounds last defeated Marist at home on Feb. 16, 2007, winning 62-55.
- Overall Loyola, is 12-25 against the Red Foxes in the regular season, going 7-11 at home.
- Head coach Joe Logan is 3-13 against Marist in his career, defeating the Red Foxes in three of the first five times he faced them. He is 2-4 against Marist in Reitz Arena.
- Marist has won four-straight over Loyola at home.
Loyola vs. Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference
- The Greyhounds are 192-190 all-time against Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference opponents, including 69-56 under Head Coach Joe Logan.
- Logan has the most wins of any Loyola head coach in program history against conference opponents.
- The Greyhounds are 115-78 at home against the MAAC, including 38-24 under Logan.
Last Time They Met
- Loyola pushed six-time MAAC champion Marist until the final buzzer, but dropped a 70-62 decision to the Red Foxes in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. on Friday night.
- Katie Sheahin and Miriam McKenzie became the first Greyhound teammates to record double-doubles in the same game. McKenzie had 16 points and 12 rebounds, while Sheahin had 16 points and 11 rebounds. The duo combined for 22 points in the second half.
- The Red Foxes had four players score in double figures, led by Brandy Gang’s 20 points and nine rebounds.
- Loyola battled back from a 16-point deficit, coming within six in the final minute but could not get any closer.
- The Greyhounds await their matchup in the MAAC Championship that begins on March 1. Loyola wll finish with either the three or four seed in the tournament.
Last Time Out
- Katie Sheahin missed a difficult layup over two defenders in the closing seconds as Fairfield just squeaked past Loyola, 44-42, on the road on Friday night.
- Loyola trailed by eight points with four minutes left and trimmed the deficit to two, but could not draw even with the Stags.
- Sheahin led the Greyhounds with 16 points while Miriam McKenzie had a double-double with 10 points and a season-high 13 rebounds.
If The Greyhounds Win...
- They would break an 11-game losing streak in the series with Marist.
- They would have a chance at earning the No. 3 seed in the MAAC Championship with a Manhattan loss.
- Loyola would improve to 7-2 when playing teams for the scond time this season and 8-1 on Sundays.
- Loyola has made at-least one 3-pointer in 155-straight games. The last time without a three was on Feb. 23, 2007 vs. Canisius.
- Katie Sheahin has scored in double figures in nine-straight games.
- Sheahin also has at-least one steal in 39-straight contests.
- Loyola has scored 30-plus points in the paint in three-straight games and has outscored opponents in the paint in nine of last ten.
- Loyola ranks first in the MAAC in conference games at 11.1 steals per game as a team.
- The Greyhounds have three players in the top four of the conference individually, with Katie Sheahin first at 3.2, Alyssa Sutherland third at 2.4, and Kara Marshall fourth at 2.4.
- As a team, the Greyhounds have 290 steals this season which ranks second all-time only to last year’s squad that collected 301 steals.
- The team has had 17 games with 10 or more steals this season.
- Loyola has connected on 147, 3-pointers this season, which is the third-most in a single season in Greyhound history.
- Katie Sheahin has hit 44 this season, which is the fifth-most in a single season. Kara Marshall has made 43, which currently ranks sixth. Sheahin also ranks fourth all-time at Loyola with 105 made 3-point field goals.
Hitting the Free Ones
- The Greyhounds currently stand fourth in the MAAC, hitting 72.2-percent (364-of-504) of their free-throw attempts this season.
- The percentage currently ranks as the second best single-season team percentage in Loyola history.
- Kara Marshall is the top free-throw shooting on the team, hitting 80.9-percent (72-for-89) from the line. That currently stands as the ninth-best single season percentage in Loyola history.
Off the Bench
- Sophomore Nicole Krusen scored 11 points off the bench for Loyola in the team’s win at Saint Peter’s.
- Krusen went 2-for-2 from the floor and 6-for-6 from the free-throw line while grabbing four rebounds.
- The 11 points match the most for any Greyhound off the bench this season. Miriam McKenzie also had 11 at Towson.
Coming Up Clutch
- The Greyhounds have been an excellent free-throw shooting team in the final five minutes of games, going 144-for-187 (77.0-percent) from the charity stripe.
- The Greyhounds went 8-of-8 from the line against Fairfield in the final minute and 10-of-10 in the last two minutes against Saint Peter’s.
Stealing the Show
- Junior guard Katie Sheahin passed Lorrie Schenning (1986-1990) to become the all-time career steals leader at Loyola after having four against Iona. She has 264 in her career.
- The junior has 95 steals this season, the second-most in a single season in Loyola history. Sheahin owns the single-season school record of 118 steals set in 2010-11.
- Sheahin is currently ranked 9th in the nation and first in the MAAC, averaging 3.4 steals per game this season.
- The junior has recorded a steal in 39-straight games and in 83 of her 86 career appearances. Her last time without a steal was on Feb. 6, 2011 at Saint Peter’s
- Sheahin notched her 69th multi-steal game against Fairfield when she had two.
- Freshman guard Kara Marshall has scored in double figures in 11 of her last 15 games.
- Marshall ranks sixth in the MAAC in conference games at 13.4 points per game.
- Overall, she ranks first in the conference among freshmen in steals (2.1 per game) and free-throw percentage (80.9-percent), and second in scoring (11.2 points per game) and 3-point field goals made (1.6).
Second Time Around
- Head coach Joe Logan is 34-19 (.642) in his career when facing MAAC teams for the second time in a season, including 6-2 this year with wins over Siena, Manhattan, Niagara, Canisius, Rider and Saint Peter’s.
- The Greyhounds are 11-6 in afternoon games this season compared to just 2-9 when playing at night.
- Loyola averages 60.4 points per game while shooting 40.5-percent from the floor when tipping off in the afternoon.
- At night, the squad is scoring 54.5 points per game and hitting on just 34.6-percent of its attempts from the floor.
- Loyola’s guard trio of Kara Marshall, Miriam McKenzie and Katie Sheahin have provided most of the offense for the Greyhounds this season, accounting for 1,088 of the team’s 1,627 (66.9-percent) total points.
- They are the only three teammates to rank in the top six in the MAAC in scoring in conference games only. Sheahin is third at 15.1, McKenzie is fourth at 14.7 and Marshall is sixth at 13.5.
- The combo are the top-three on the team in steals as well, accounting for 203 of Loyola’s 290 steals (70.0-percent).
Welcome To The Club
- Senior guard Miriam McKenzie became just the 4th player in Greyhound history to collect 1,200 points and 600 rebounds in her career.
- McKenzie is the first player to accomplish the feat since Mary Anne Kirsch, who finished her career with 1,306 points and 899 rebounds in 1999.
- McKenzie currently stands fourth all-time with 1,360 points and eighth all-time with 690 rebounds.
- The senior will graduate as just the fifth player in Loyola history to rank in the top-10 in points and rebounding.
Not Your Average Joe
- Head coach Joe Logan became the all-time winningest coach in Loyola women’s basketball history with a, 67-54, win at Siena on January 7, 2012.
- Logan has led Loyola to two 20-plus win seasons in his tenure, including tying a program record with 21 wins last season.
Can’t Make it to the Game?
- Beginning this season, Loyola University Maryland will offer free video of most home athletic events for the 2011-12 season.
- Loyola will partner with Stretch Internet to provide the content. The department also will continue to offer free audio of games, and it will provide live stats through the Stretch Internet portal.
- Loyola games that are being broadcast will be available on a variety of smart phones.
- Loyola will broadcast all non-televised home men’s and women’s basketball contests.
Follow Women’s Basketball on Twitter and Facebook
- Keep up with Loyola women’s basketball on Facebook and Twitter. Like Loyola University Maryland women’s basketball on Facebook (www.facebook.com/wbbloyola) and following us on Twitter (@LoyolaWBB). You can also follow Coach Joe Logan on Twitter (@CoachJoeLogan).
Wednesday's Senior Night Closes Out WBB Regular...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team will play its final home game of the...
Road Contest Between Women's Basketball And...
Colgate University did not score a single field-goal in the final three minutes of the game, but ...
Women's Basketball Travels North To...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team will travel to Hamilton, New York to take ...
Bucknell Uses Second-Half Run To Top Women's...
Bucknell University used a 20-5 run in the second half to lead by double figures and defeat the...
Bucknell and Women's Basketball Meet...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team will play in its second-straight home game...
Colleen Marshall Scores 35 As Women's...
Colleen Marshall scored a career-high 35 points and tied a school record with seven 3-pointers to...
Women's Basketball Now Hosting Boston...
Due to impending weather conditions in the Northeast region, the Loyola University Maryland women...
Women's Basketball Drops Back-And-Forth Contest...
Loyola University Maryland women's basketball kept fighting offensively in the final six second...
Wednesday, Mar 4 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Lafayette Easton, Pa. 7:00 PM Video Friday, Mar 6 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Patriot League Quarterfinals Higher Seed TBA Monday, Mar 9 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Patriot League Semifinals Higher Seed TBA Saturday, Mar 14 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Patriot League Championship Game Higher Seed TBA