Women's Basketball Hosts Rider On Alumnae Day
Feb. 3, 2012
|Date||Saturday, February 4, 2012|
|Location||Baltimore, Md.|Reitz Arena|
|Online Media||Free Video|Free Audio|Live Stats|
|Game Notes||Game Notes|
- The Loyola University Maryland women’s basketball team plays its second of four-straight home games when they host the Rider Unviersity Broncs on Saturday, Feb. 4, at 2 p.m. at Reitz Arena.
- The Greyhounds are coming off a, 70-62, win over Canisius to open the team’s homestand and giving Loyola back-to-back victories since they defeated Howard on Nov. 27 and Army on Dec. 3.
- The Greyhounds improved to 4-0 in MAAC rematches this season with the victory over Canisius.
- Junior guard Katie Sheahin enters Saturday’s game needed three more steals to pass Lorrie Schenning to become the all-time career steals leader at Loyola.
- The Greyhounds will celebrate their annual Alumnae Day on Saturday, that will include a game at 11 a.m. and reception at 12:30 p.m.
Scouting the Broncs
- The Broncs are coming off a, 51-35, loss at Fairfield on Thursday night. The 35 points were the lowest output of the season for Rider.
- Rider is 10-12 overall and 2-9 in the MAAC.
- The Broncs have lost seven-straight entering Saturday, with the team’s last win coming over Loyola back on Jan. 9 at Rider.
- In the team’s seven-game losing streak, the Broncs have to eclipsed the 60-point mark and are averaging 50.9 points per game.
- MyNeshia McKenzie is leading Rider at 11.5 points per game to go with 9.2 rebounds.
- The Broncs rank second in the MAAC in rebounding at 38.9 per game. McKenzie is the top rebounder in the conference while Caitlin Bopp is sixth at 6.9 per game.
Series with Rider
- This is the 39th meeting between the Greyhounds and the Broncs and the 33rd MAAC meeting between the schools. The teams played six games between 1981 and 1990 before the programs were in the MAAC.
- Loyola leads the all-time series 29-9 and have won four of the last five and 12 of the last 14 meetings.
- The Greyhounds are 24-5 against Rider in MAAC regular-season contests.
- Loyola is 15-2 against the Broncs at home and have won the last nine games played in Baltimore.
- Under Logan, the Greyhounds are 12-2 against Rider and a perfect 6-0 at home.
Loyola vs. Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference
- The Greyhounds are 185-181 all-time against Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference opponents, including 65-54 under Head Coach Joe Logan.
- Logan has the most wins of any Loyola head coach in program history against conference opponents.
- The Greyhounds are 108-56 at home against the MAAC, including 35-24 under Logan.
Last Time They Met
- The Greyhounds trimmed an 11-point deficit to one in the final 4:13 of the game but fell short in their comeback bid on the road against Rider, falling 67-61 to the Broncs.
- Alyssa Sutherland had a big steal that led to a Kara Marshall layup with 36 seconds left that brought Loyola to withing 62-61.
- Alyssa Parsons made one of two at the line on the next possession, and Caitlin Bopp grabbed a big offensive rebound that led to two more Parsons free throws and sealed the game.
- Miriam McKenzie led the Greyhounds with 21 points and 12 rebounds while Katie Sheahin had 19.
- Rider had four players in double figures, with Bopp and Alli Heller scoring 16 apiece. Bopp also had 14 rebounds.
- The Greyhounds are back at Reitz Arena to take on Iona on ESPN3 at 4 p.m. on Friday afternoon.
Last Time Out
- The Greyhounds led by as many as 19 points twice in the game, the last coming at the 13-minute mark after a jumper by Miriam McKenzie.
- Canisius climbed back into the game game, holding the Greyhounds without a field for eight-plus minutes and coming within five at 58-53 with 2:21 left.
- Katie Sheahin made a driving layup as the shot clock expired on the next possession, and Loyola went 10-of-10 from the line in the final minute to seal the win.
- McKenzie had a team-best 22 points and nine rebounds, while Sheahin added 17, Marshall had 15 and Offodile had 10.
If The Greyhounds Win...
- Loyola would have its first three-game winning streak of the season.
- The Greyhounds would have won 10-straight over Rider at home.
- Loyola would move to .500 in MAAC play for the first time this season.
- The Greyhounds would improve to 6-4 at Reitz Arena this year.
Second Time Around
- Head coach Joe Logan is 32-17 (.653) in his career when facing MAAC teams for the second time in a season, including 4-0 this year with wins over Siena, Manhattan, Niagara and Canisius.
- The Greyhounds have jumped out to early leads in each of their last four games, going 3-1 in those contests.
- Loyola has outscored opponents 52-13 in the first five minutes of their last four games, including runs of 15-5 at Manhattan, 13-4 at Canisius, 12-2 at Niagara and 12-2 at home against Canisius.
- Loyola is shooting 60-percent in the first five minutes of the last four games, hitting on 21 of their 35 field goal attempts.
- The Greyhounds are 7-5 in afternoon games this season compared to just 2-8 when playing at night.
- Loyola averages 60.7 points per game while shooting 41.5-percent from the floor when tipping off in the afternoon. At night the squad is scoring 53.9 points per game and hitting on just 33.7-percent of its attempts from the floor.
- Freshman guard Kara Marshall has scored in double figures in eight of her last nine games.
- Marshall is averaging 15.8 points on 43.4-percent shooting while hitting 35.6-percent of her 3-point attempts over the last eight games.
- Marshall ranks eighth in the MAAC in conference games at 13.6 points per game.
- Overall, she ranks first in the conference among freshmen in steals (2.0 per game) and free-throw percentage (81.4-percent), and second in scoring (10.6 points per game) and 3-point field goals made (1.5).
Stealing the Show
- Junior guard Katie Sheahin is just three steals away from breaking Loyola’s all-time career steals record. She enters Saturday second on the list with 248 career steals.
- The junior has 79 steals this season, the second-most in a single season in Loyola history. Sheahin owns the single-season school record of 118 steals set in 2010-11.
- Sheahin is currently ranked seventh in the nation and first in the MAAC, averaging 3.6 steals per game this season.
- The junior has recorded a steal in 33-straight games and in 77 of her 80 career appearances. Her last time without a steal was on Feb. 6, 2011 at Saint Peter’s
- Sheahin notched her 64th multi-steal game against Canisius when she had two. She has 16-straight multi-steal games
Career Day For Sutherland
- Junior forward Alyssa Sutherland had a career game at Niagara, scoring a career-high 18 points on six-of-nine shooting while hitting all five of her free-throw attempts.
- Sutherland also grabbing seven rebounds and handed out five assists.
Countdown to 1,0000
- Sheahin enters Saturday’s game against Canisius with 973 career points, just 27 away from become the 20th player in Loyola history to reach the 1,000-point mark.
- Loyola ranks first in the MAAC in conference games at 12.1 steals per game as a team.
- Three Greyhounds rank in the top four of the conference in steals, including Katie Sheahin (1st at 3.5), Alyssa Sutherland (2nd at 3.0) and Kara Marshall (4th at 2.5).
- Loyola’s guard trio of Kara Marshall, Miriam McKenzie and Katie Sheahin have provided most of the offense for the Greyhounds this season, accounting for 828 of the team’s 1,267 (65.4-percent) total points.
- The combo are the top-three on the team in scoring and steals, accounting for 161 of Loyola’s 235 steals (68.5-percent).
- The three are averaging 39.6 points per game while shooting 38.6-percent from the floor.
- Senior guard Miriam McKenzie and junior guard Katie Sheahin became the first set of Greyhound teammates to record a double-double in the same game at Marist on Jan. 20, 2012.
- McKenzie finished with 16 points and 12 rebounds while Sheahin had 16 points and 11 boards.
- McKenzie has had back-to-back double-doubles, after scoring 25 points and grabbing 10 rebounds at Manhattan.
Welcome To The Club
- Senior guard Miriam McKenzie became just the 4th player in Greyhound history to collect 1,200 points and 600 rebounds in her career.
- McKenzie is the first player to accomplish the feat since Mary Anne Kirsch, who finished her career with 1,306 points and 899 rebounds in 1999.
- McKenzie currently stands sixth all-time with 1,287 points and 10th all-time with 650 rebounds.
- The senior will graduate as just the fifth player in Loyola history to rank in the top-10 in points and rebounding.
- Senior guard Miriam McKenzie and junior guard Katie Sheahin have carried the Greyhound offense through the first 22 games, with McKenzie leading the team at 14.7 points per game and Sheahin second at 14.3.
- The pair are the only set of teammates to rank in the top-five in the conference in scoring. McKenzie ranks fourth and Sheahin ranks fifth.
- Sheahin is also eighth in rebounds (6.2), seventh in assists (3.3), first in steals (3.6), seventh in 3-point field goals made (1.7) and fifth in blocks (1.1).
- McKenzie is third in rebounds (8.1) and fifth in steals (2.1).
Women's Basketball Welcomes ECU To The...
Loyola University Maryland women's basketball continues its seven-game homestand on Tuesday,...
Women's Basketball Downs Mount St. Mary's For...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team picked up its first win of the 2014-15...
Women's Basketball Hosts Mount St. Mary's In...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team welcomes Mount St. Mary's to Reitz Arena...
Towson Holds Off Women's Basketball Despite...
Loyola University Maryland cut a one-time 19-point Towson University lead to two with less than...
Women's Basketball Opens 2014-15 Home Schedule ...
Loyola will make its 2014-15 home debut on Thursday, Dec. 4, when it hosts Towson University at 7...
Women's Basketball Suffers Road Loss To Pittsburgh
The University of Pittsburgh outscored the Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team 23-...
Women's Basketball Closes Out November At...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team concludes its five-game season-opening...
Women's Basketball Alumnae Day - Dec. 6
Loyola University Maryland will celebrate Alumni Day on Saturday, Dec. 6, when the women's...
Saturday, Dec 20 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Saint Peter's Reitz Arena 5:00 PM Video Monday, Dec 22 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Cornell Reitz Arena 2:00 PM Video Sunday, Dec 28 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE George Washington Reitz Arena 2:00 PM Video Wednesday, Dec 31 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Navy Reitz Arena 2:00 PM Video Saturday, Jan 3 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Army West Point, N.Y. 1:00 PM Wednesday, Jan 7 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE American Washington, D.C. 7:00 PM