Greyhounds Host Saint Peter's On Field Trip Day Friday
Jan. 11, 2012
|Opponent||Saint Peter's Peahens|
|Date||Friday, January 13, 2012|
|Location||Baltimore, Md. | Reitz Arena|
|Online Media||Free Audio | Free Video | Live Stats|
|Game Notes||Game Notes|
- The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team hosts Saint Peter's College on Friday, Jan. 13, at 11:30 a.m. for the school's annual Field Trip Day as part of the NCAA Kid's Day Out Initiative.
- The game is part of the NCAA Kid's Day Out initiative as local elementary and middle school students will attend the contest.
- Loyola guard Katie Sheahin enters the contest with eight-straight double-figure scoring games, along with 26-straight games with a steal.
- Saint Peter's and Loyola have split the last six meetings in the all-time series, with the Peahens winning the last two meetings in Baltimore.
Scouting the Peahens
- Saint Peter's enters Friday's contest in search of its first win of the season, with an 0-15 overall record and an 0-4 mark in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference play.
- Jynae Judson leads Saint Peter's in scoring at 14.8 points per game. Judson has scored in double figures in each of her last three games and has led the Peahens in the scoring column in 9 of the team's last 11 contests.
- Judson is the only player of the team averaging double figures, with Quiana Porter second on the team at 6.7 points per game.
- The Peahens rank first int he MAAC in blocks per game at 4.0, led by Porter who has 16 blocks this season while Aziza May is second with nine blocks.
Series with Saint Peter's
- This is the 54th meeting between the Peahens and the Greyhounds, with Saint Peter's holding a 36-17 advantage in the all-time series.
- The two programs have split the last six meetings, with Saint Peter's winning the last two contests in Baltimore, including the regular-season finale last season.
- Overall, Loyola is 11-13 at home against Saint Peter's and 4-2 in Reitz Arena against the Peahens under head coach Joe Logan.
- Under Logan, Loyola is 7-5 against Saint Peter's
- The teams have met 43 times in the MAAC regular-season, with Loyola going 15-28 in those contests.
Loyola vs. Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference
- The Greyhounds are 181-178 all-time against Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference opponents, including 61-51 under Head Coach Joe Logan.
- Logan has the most wins of any Loyola head coach in program history against conference opponents.
- The Greyhounds are 106-56 at home against the MAAC, including 33-23 under Logan.
- Loyola went 7-2 at home in conference play last season, but have lost three-straight regular-season conference home games including the first two this season.
Last Time They Met
- Saint Peter's defeated Loyola, 60-57, in the MAAC regular-season finale for both teams last season at Reitz Arena.
- Loyola trailed by six with 30 seconds remaining, when Nicole Krusen knocked down a 3-pointer, and Katie Sheahin stole the inbounds pass. But a Greyhoun three as time expired fell short.
- Miriam McKenzie scored 17 points to lead all players, while Sheahin notched a double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds.
- Jynae Judson led the Peahens with 12 points and 10 rebounds, while Aziza May added 10.
- Loyola closes out a short two-game homestand when they host Siena on Sunday at 2 p.m. at Reitz Arena. The Greyhounds defeated the Saints, 67-54, in the first matchup between the teams this season.
Last Time Out
- The Greyhounds lost their fifth game in their last six tries, falling to Rider, 67-61, on the road on Monday afternoon.
- The loss snapped a six-game conference road winning streak for the Greyhounds.
- Loyola fought-back in the first half after falling behind 17-5 to start the game. The Greyhounds trailed by as many as 13 points twice in the first half but ended the half on an 8-0 run to get within four at the break.
- The Greyhounds got within one point in the final minute, but Rider made clutch free throws to hold off Loyola.
- Caitlin Bopp led the Broncs with 16 points and 14 rebounds.
- Miriam McKenzie scored 21 points and had 12 rebounds for her second double-double of the season.Katie Sheahin added 19 points and seven rebounds.
If The Greyhounds Win...
- The Greyhounds will improve to 6-10 overall and 2-3 in MAAC play.
- Loyola will break a two-game home losing streak to the Peahens.
- It would be the first conference home win of the season for Loyola and break a three-game conference home losing streak.
- The Greyhounds would improve to 18-36 all-time against Saint Peter's and 8-5 under Logan.
Welcome To The Club
- Senior guard Miriam McKenzie became just the 10th player in Greyhound history to collect 1,000 points and 500 rebounds in a career.
- McKenzie is the first player to accomplish the feat since Katie Scherle, who finished her career with 1,079 points and 623 rebounds in 2006.
- McKenzie currently stands sixth all-time with 1,179 points and 12th all-time with 589 rebounds.
- The senior has the potential to be just the fifth player in Loyola history to graduate in the top-10 in points and rebounding.
Stealing the Show
- Junior guard Katie Sheahin enters action this week ranked 12th in the nation and first in the MAAC, averaging 3.5 steals per game.
- Sheahin has recorded a steal in 26-straight games and in 70 of her 73 career appearances. Her last time without a steal was on Feb. 6, 2011 at Saint Peter's
- Sheahin notched her 58th multi-steal game against Rider when she tallied three. She has 10-straight multi-steal games
- The Brookeville, Md., native set a career high with eight steals at Pittsburgh. It was the fifth time in her career that Sheahin had seven-plus steals in a game. She ranks first in Loyola history, averaging 3.1 steals per game and is third on the all-time career steals list with 221.
Not Your Average Joe
- Head coach Joe Logan became the all-time winningest coach in Loyola women's basketball history with a, 67-54, win at Siena on January 7, 2012.
- Logan has led Loyola to two 20-plus win seasons in his tenure, including tying a program record with 21 wins last season.
- Senior guard Miriam McKenzie and junior guard Katie Sheahin have carried the Greyhound offense through the first 15 games, with Sheahin leading the team at 15.0 points per game and McKenzie second at 14.3 points.
- The pair are the only set of teammates to rank in the top-five in the conference in scoring. Sheahin ranks third and McKenzie ranks fifth.
- Sheahin is also eighth in rebounds (6.1), eighth in assists (3.3) and first in steals (3.5), fifth in 3-point field goals made (1.9) and third in blocks (1.1).
- McKenzie is second in rebounds (7.8), fourth in field goal percentage (.444) , ninth in free throw percentage (.743) and fourth in steals (2.1)
- Junior Katie Sheahin has registered eight-straight games in double figures, averaging 19.0 points per game during that stretch.
- Sheahin, who leads the Greyhounds in scoring at 15.0 points per game, is also averaging 5.9 rebounds, 3.6 assists 3.3 steals over last eight games while averaging 37.1 minutes.
- In her first four conference games, Sheahin is second in the conference in scoring, averaging 17.0 points per game and blocks at 1.8 per game. She leads the conference in steals (12) and 3-point field goals made (12).
Model of Consistency
- Freshman Steph Smith has grabbed four or more rebounds 12 times this season. She is averaging 2.9 points and 4.5 rebounds per game this season.
- Over the last seven games, Smith is averaging 5.4 rebounds in 23.9 minutes.
- Smith has a rebound in every game this season and has scored in each of her last eight.
- The Lower Gwynedd, Pa., native made her first start at Siena, scoring four points and grabbing seven rebounds.
Can't Make it to the Game?
- Beginning this season, Loyola University Maryland will offer free video of most home athletic events for the 2011-12 season.
- Loyola will partner with Stretch Internet to provide the content. The department also will continue to offer free audio of games, and it will provide live stats through the Stretch Internet portal.
- Loyola games that are being broadcast will be available on a variety of smart phones.
- Loyola will broadcast all non-televised home men's and women's basketball contests.
Follow Women's Basketball on Twitter and Facebook
- Keep up with Loyola women's basketball on Facebook and Twitter. Like Loyola University Maryland women's basketball on Facebook (www.facebook.com/wbbloyola) and following us on Twitter (@LoyolaWBB). You can also follow Coach Joe Logan on Twitter (@CoachJoeLogan).
Navy Outlasts Women's Basketball In Final...
Loyola University Maryland women's basketball scored the second half's first nine points to turn ...
Final Women's Basketball Regular-Season Game...
Loyola University Maryland women's basketball will make a quick trip south for its final regular-...
Holy Cross Too Much For Women's Basketball
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team dropped a 65-37 contest to College of the ...
Wednesday's Senior Night Closes Out WBB Regular...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team will play its final home game of the...
Road Contest Between Women's Basketball And...
Colgate University did not score a single field-goal in the final three minutes of the game, but ...
Women's Basketball Travels North To...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team will travel to Hamilton, New York to take ...
Bucknell Uses Second-Half Run To Top Women's...
Bucknell University used a 20-5 run in the second half to lead by double figures and defeat the...
Bucknell and Women's Basketball Meet...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team will play in its second-straight home game...
There are no upcoming events.