Women's Basketball Closes Road Stint At Rider
Jan. 8, 2012
|Date||Monday, January 9, 2012|
|Location||Lawrenceville, N.J. | Alumni Gymnasium|
|Online Media||Free Audio | Live Stats|Video|
|Game Notes||Game Notes|
- The Loyola University Maryland women’s basketball team ends a short two-game road trip when the Greyhounds travel to Rider to play the Broncs at noon on Monday, Jan. 9, in Lawrenceville, N.J.
- The game is part of the NCAA Kid’s Day Out initiative as local elementary and middle school students will attend the contest.
- Greyhound head coach Joe Logan became the all-time winningest coach in program history after Loyola defeated Siena, 67-54, last time out.
- Loyola guard Katie Sheahin enters the contest with seven-straight double-figure scoring games, along with 25-straight games with a steal.
- The Greyhounds have won four-straight in the all-time series against the Broncs and are 12-5 all-time in Lawrenceville, N.Y.
Scouting the Broncs
- Rider enters Monday’s game 9-5 overal and 1-2 in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference play.
- The Broncs are coming off an 82-56 loss to Marist at home on Saturday.
- Rider enters Monday’s game 5-2 at Alumni Gymnasium this season, including 1-1 in MAAC play.
- MyNeshia McKenzie has led the Broncs all season, averaging a double-double at 11.3 points and 10.6 rebounds per game while shooting 84.3-percent from the free throw line.
- Three other Broncs are averaging just over nine points per game, including Caitlin Bopp, Sironda Chambers and Ali Heller.
- Bopp led Rider with 18 points against Marist, while McKenzie had a double-double with 10 points and 11 rebounds.
Series with Rider
- This is the 38th meeting between the Greyhounds and the Broncs and the 32nd MAAC meeting between the schools. The teams played six games between 1981 and 1990 before the programs were in the MAAC.
- Loyola leads the all-time series 29-8 and have won the last four meetings and 12 of the last 13.
- The Greyhounds are 24-4 against Rider in MAAC regular-season contests, including 11-3 on the road since the two programs have been in the conference. Overall, Loyola is 12-5 against Rider in Lawrenceville.
- Under Logan, the Greyhounds are 12-1 against Rider and 5-1 on the road.
Loyola vs. Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference
- The Greyhounds are 181-177 all-time against Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference opponents, including 61-50 under Head Coach Joe Logan.
- Logan has the most wins of any Loyola head coach in program history against conference opponents.
- The Greyhounds are 80-134 on the road against the MAAC, including 28-27 under Logan.
- Loyola went 8-1 on the road last season in conference play and have won six-sraight conference road games.
Last Time They Met
- The Greyhounds defeated Rider, 55-43, at Reitz Arena last season, holding the lead from the start to finish.
- The 43 points were the fewest Loyola allowed all season, forcing 18 turnovers in the contest. The team also dominated the glass, owning a 46-31 advantage in rebounding, collecting 17 offensive rebounds.
- Katie Sheahin led Loyola with 14 points while Erica DiClemente chipped in 12 and Nicole Krusen had 10.
- Miriam McKenzie pulled down a team-high eight rebounds in the contest, while Sheahin and Krusen each added five apiece.
- Loyola dominated the first half and built at 17 point lead at halftime afer holding Rider to 6-for-23 shooting in the first half.
- Loyola returns home on Friday, Jan. 13, when they host Saint Peter’s College at 11:30 a.m. for the program’s annual Field Trip Day as part of the NCAA Kid’s Day Out initiative.
Last Time Out
- The Greyhounds snapped a four-game losing streak and avoided their first 0-3 start in conference play since 1996-97 with an impressive, 67-54, win at Siena on Saturday.
- Loyola played its most complete game of the season, getting the job done on both ends of the floor to take home their largest margin of victory to date this season.
- The Greyhounds outshot Siena 48.2-percent to 36.2-percent for the game, and shot a season-high 53.3-percent in the first half while scoring a season-best 36 points.
- The guards dominated the game offensively, as Miriam McKenzie led the Greyhounds with 19 points seven rebounds and five assists along with three steals.
- Kara Marshall finished with 18 points while Sheahin chipped in 17.
If The Greyhounds Win...
- The Greyhounds will improve to 6-9 overall and 2-2 in MAAC play.
- Loyola will have won five-straight against Rider and 13 of the last 14 contests while improving to 30-8 in the all-time series.
- The Greyhounds will have won seven-straight conference road games.
- It would be the second time this season the Greyhounds will have won back-to-back games this season.
- The trio of Miriam McKenzie, Kara Marshall and Katie Sheahin combined for 54 of Loyola’s 67 pooints at Siena, with McKenzie scoring 19, Marshall 18 and Sheahin 17.
- The three combined for 22-of-40 (55-percent) shooting from the floor, hitting six 3-pointers, grabbing 12 rebounds, dishing out nine assits and making seven steals.
Stealing the Show
- Junior guard Katie Sheahin enters action this week ranked 12th in the nation and first in the MAAC, averaging 3.6 steals per game.
- Sheahin has recorded a steal in 25-straight games and in 69 of her 72 career appearances. Her last time without a steal was on Feb. 6, 2011 at Saint Peter’s
- Sheahin notched her 57th multi-steal game against Siena when she tallied two. She has nine-straight multi-steal games
- The Brookeville, Md., native set a career high with eight steals at Pittsburgh. It was the fifth time in her career that Sheahin had seven-plus steals in a game. She ranks first in Loyola history, averaging 3.1 steals per game and is third on the all-time career steals list with 218.
Not Your Average Joe
- Head coach Joe Logan became the all-time winningest coach in Loyola women’s basketball history with a, 67-54, win at Siena on January 7, 2012.
- Logan has led Loyola to two 20-plus win seasons in his tenure, including tying a program record with 21 wins last season.
Climbing the Charts
- Miriam McKenzie became the 21st player in Loyola history to eclipse the 1,000-point mark last season, and moved to sixth on the all-time career points list with 1,158 after scoring 19 points at Siena.
- Senior guard Miriam McKenzie and junior guard Katie Sheahin have carried the Greyhound offense through the first 14 games, with Sheahin leading the team at 14.7 points per game and McKenzie second at 13.6 points.
- The pair the only set of teammates to rank in the top-five in the conference in scoring. Sheahin ranks second and McKenzie ranks fifth.
- Sheahin is also eighth in rebounds (6.0), seventh in assists (3.3) and first in steals (3.5), fifth in 3-point field goals made (1.9) and third in blocks (1.2).
- McKenzie is fourth in rebounds (7.4), fifth in field goal percentage (.438) , sixth in free throw percentage (.767) and fourth in steals (2.1)
- Nine of Loyola’s first 14 games have been decided by eight points or less.
- In each those nine games, the contest was within one posession heading into the final minute of play.
- Loyola owns a 5-1 record in games when leading with five minutes remaining. The team is 0-8 in games when trailing with five minutes remaining.
- Junior Katie Sheahin has registered seven-straight games in double figures, averaging 19.0 points per game during that stretch.
- Sheahin, who leads the Greyhounds in scoring at 14.5 points per game, is also averaging 5.7 rebounds, 3.7 assists 3.3 steals over last seven games while averaging 36.9 minutes.
- In her first three conference games, Sheahin is second in the conference, averaging 16.3 points per game. She leads the conference in several categories through three games, including steals (9), 3-point field goals made (10) and blocks (7).
Model of Consistency
- Freshman Steph Smith has grabbed four or more rebounds 12 times this season. She is averaging 2.9 points and 4.6 rebounds per game this season.
- Over the last six games, Smith is averaging 6.1 rebounds in 23.9 minutes.
- Smith has a rebound in every game this season and has scored in each of her last seven.
- The Lower Gwynedd, Pa., native made her first start at Siena, scoring four points and grabbing seven rebounds
Follow Women’s Basketball on Twitter and Facebook
- Keep up with Loyola women’s basketball on Facebook and Twitter. Like Loyola University Maryland women’s basketball on Facebook (www.facebook.com/wbbloyola) and following us on Twitter (@LoyolaWBB). You can also follow Coach Joe Logan on Twitter (@CoachJoeLogan).
Women's Basketball, Army West Point Meet...
Loyola University Maryland women's basketball returns to Reitz Arena for its second-straight home...
Women's Basketball And Navy Meet In Midweek Tilt
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team will make the quick trip to Annapolis,...
Late Rally Not Enough For Women's Basketball...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team outscored Lehigh 23-15 in the fourth...
Women's Basketball Returns To Reitz For...
Loyola University Maryland women's basketball opens the month of February with its first home...
Smith's Trey Lifts Women's Basketball Over...
With 1:46 to play in the fourth quarter, graduate student Steph Smith knocked down a 3-point...
Lafayette Hosts Women's Basketball Saturday In ...
Loyola University Maryland women's basketball closes out the month of January with its third-stra...
Women's Hoops Outscores Colgate By 15 In Fourth...
Loyola University Maryland women’s basketball held Colgate University to one field goal in ...
Trip To Hamilton, New York Up Next For Women's ...
Loyola University Maryland women's basketball plays in its second of three-straight road games to...
Saturday, Feb 13 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Boston University Boston, Mass. 2:00 PM Video
Wednesday, Feb 17 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Bucknell Reitz Arena 7:00 PM Video Sunday, Feb 21 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Colgate Reitz Arena 2:00 PM Video Wednesday, Feb 24 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Holy Cross Worcester, Mass. 7:00 PM Live Stats | Video
Saturday, Feb 27 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE American Washington, D.C. 4:00 PM Live Stats | Video
Wednesday, Mar 2 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Holy Cross Reitz Arena 7:00 PM Video