Greyhounds Hit The Road To Face Siena
Jan. 5, 2012
|Date||Saturday, January 7, 2012|
|Location||Loudonville, N.Y. | Alumni Recreation Center|
|Game Notes||Game Notes|
- The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball hits the road for the first time in conference play as the Greyhounds travel to Loudonville, N.Y., to take on the Siena College Saints on Saturday, Jan. 7 at 7:30 p.m.
- The Greyhounds are looking to snap a four-game losing streak after losing to Niagara, 61-47, on Wednesday night.
- Greyhound head coach Joe Logan enters Saturday's game with 100 career victories, tied with Patty Coyle for the most in Loyola program history.
Scouting the Saints
- Siena enters Saturday 3-8 overall and 1-1 in the MAAC. The Saints have won two of their last three games.
- Siena defeated Canisius, 67-61, at home before dropping a road game against Iona, 87-71, in the team's first two conference games.
- The Saints are led by Lily Grenci, who is averaging 14.3 points and 7.3 rebounds per game.
- Preseason All-MAAC selections Cristina Centeno and Maja Gerlying are second and third in scoring respectfully. Centeno is averaging 11.6 points while leading the team with 48 assists. Gerlying averages 11.5 points and has hit a team-best 15 3-pointers.
Series with Siena
- This marks the 49th meeting all-time between the Greyhounds and the Saints, with Siena holding a 27-21 advantage.
- Three of Loyola's wins have come in the MAAC Championship, putting the Greyhounds' regular-season record at 18-27 against Siena.
- The Greyhounds are 7-5 against the Saints under head coach Joe Logan and have won three-straight over the Saints.
- Logan has led Loyola to a 3-3 record in Loudonville. Overall, the team is 6-16 at Siena.
Loyola vs. Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference
- The Greyhounds are 180-177 all-time against Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference opponents, including 60-50 under Head Coach Joe Logan.
- Logan has the most wins of any Loyola head coach in program history against conference opponents.
- The Greyhounds are 79-134 on the road against the MAAC, including 27-27 under Logan.
- Loyola went 8-1 on the road last season in conference play.
Last Time They Met
- Candice Walker rattled home a jumper with 18.3 seconds left in overtime to help lift the Greyhounds to a 67-64 overtime victory at Reitz Arena on Feb. 12, 2011.
- Erica DiClemente scored her 1,000th career point in the contest, leading scoring 19 points in the game. Miriam McKenzie led Loyola with 23 points and 10 rebounds.
- Serena Moore led the Saints with a double-double consisting of 29 points and 12 rebounds while Cathy Cockrum also notched a double-double with 12 points and 10 boards.
- Current Saint Cirstina Centeno hit the game-tying 3-pointer with just over a minute remaining in overtime, but Walker her a jumper and Sheahin hit one of two from the line to push the Loyola lead to three. Centeno missed a 3 at the buzzer.
- Loyola closes out a two-game road trip at Rider on Monday at noon.
- Rider will be hosting its annual Field Trip Day.
- The Greyhounds are 29-8 all-time against the Broncs and have won the last four meetings.
Last Time Out
- The Greyhounds dropped their fourth-straight game, falling to Manhattan, 61-46, on Wednesday night at Reitz Arena.
- The Greyhounds struggled to get an offensive rhythm going in the contest and were outshot 44.2-percent to 25-percent. Loyola hit just 6-of-33 field goal attempts in the second half.
- Loyola shot the most 3-pointers they had shot in a game since as far back as 2000, taking 37 attempts from behind the arc while hitting nine. The Greyhounds were 9-of-37 from 3 and 5-of-19 from 2-point range.
- Katie Sheahin led Loyola with 16 points to go with 10 rebounds for her first double-double of the season. Alyssa Sutherland added 10 points and Miriam McKenzie had eight points and 11 rebounds.
If The Greyhounds Win...
- Head coach Joe Logan will become the all-time winningest coach in program history.
- The Greyhounds will avoid their first 0-3 start in conference play since the 1996-97 season.
- Loyola will have won four-straight games over Siena.
- The Greyhounds will improve to 28-21 against the Saints all-time.
- It would be Loyola's sixth-straight conference road win.
Stealing the Show
- Junior guard Katie Sheahin enters action this week ranked 12th in the nation and first in the MAAC, averaging 3.6 steals per game.
- Sheahin has recorded a steal in 24-straight games and in 68 of her 71 career appearances. Her last time without a steal was on Feb. 6, 2011 at Saint Peter's
- Sheahin notched her 56th multi-steal game against Manhattan when she tallied four.. She has eight-straight multi-steal games
- The Brookeville, Md., native set a career high with eight steals at Pittsburgh. It was the fifth time in her career that Sheahin had seven-plus steals in a game. She ranks first in Loyola history, averaging 3.1 steals per game and is third on the all-time career steals list with 216.
Not Your Average Joe
- Head coach Joe Logan enters today's game with 100 career victories, needing just one more to become the all-time wins leader in Loyola history.
- Logan earned his 100th career win when Loyola defeated George Washington, 70-62, on the road on Dec. 18.
- Logan has led Loyola to two 20-plus win seasons in his tenure, including tying a program record with 21 wins last season.
Climbing the Charts
- Miriam McKenzie became the 21st player in Loyola history to eclipse the 1,000-point mark last season, and enters today's game 8th on the all-time chart with 1,139 career points.
- McKenzie passed former teammate Erica DiClemente last time out, scoring 11 points against Niagara.
- Senior guard Miriam McKenzie and junior guard Katie Sheahin have carried the Greyhound offense through the first 12 games, with Sheahin leading the team at 14.5 points per game and McKenzie second at 13.1 points.
- The pair are one of only two sets of teammates to rank in the top-seven in the conference in scoring. Sheahin ranks third and McKenzie ranks seventh.
- Sheahin is also eighth in rebounds (6.2), seventh in assists (3.4) and first in steals (3.6) and fourth in blocks (1.2)
- McKenzie is third in rebounds (7.4), sixth in field goal percentage (.404) and fifth in steals (2.0)
- Nine of Loyola's first 13 games have been decided by eight points or less.
- In each those nine games, the contest was within one posession heading into the final minute of play.
- Loyola owns a 4-1 record in games when leading with five minutes remaining. The team is 0-8 in games when trailing with five minutes remaining.
- Junior Katie Sheahin has scored six-straight games in double figures, averaging 19.3 points over that span.
- Sheahin, who leads the Greyhounds in scoring at 14.5 points per game, is also averaging 6.2 rebounds, 4.0 assists, 3.5 steals and 1.5 blocks over the last six games while averaging 36.3 minutes.
Model of Consistency
- Freshman Steph Smith has grabbed four or more rebounds 11 times this season. She is averaging 2.8 points and 4.5 rebounds per game this season.
- Over the last six games, Smith is averaging 6.0 rebounds in 22.5 minutes.
- Smith has a rebound in every game this season and has scored in each of her last six.
- Sophomore guard Nicole Krusen enters the week ranked first in the MAAC in 3-point shooting percentage, connecting on 40.8-percent of her attempts (23-for-55).
- She also ranks sixth in the conference at 1.8 made 3-pointers per game.
- Krusen has hit five 3-pointers in a game twice this season, becoming just the third Loyola player in program history to accomplish the feat
Follow Women's Basketball on Twitter and Facebook
- Keep up with Loyola women's basketball on Facebook and Twitter. Like Loyola University Maryland women's basketball on Facebook (www.facebook.com/wbbloyola) and following us on Twitter (@LoyolaWBB). You can also follow Coach Joe Logan on Twitter (@CoachJoeLogan).
Saturday, January 7, 2012
Loudonville, N.Y. | Alumni Recreation Center
Bucknell Tops Women's Basketball On The Road
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team fell to Bucknell University, 66-49,...
Women's Basketball Travels To Bucknell On...
Loyola University Maryland women's basketball will play its second-straight game on the road on...
Betz-White Named Lids Team Sports Patriot...
Loyola University of Maryland women's basketball freshman Bri Betz-White earned Lids Team Sports ...
Women's Basketball Tops Boston University On...
Bri Betz-White scored a career-high to lead three Loyola University Maryland players in double...
Saturday Matinee Set For Women's Basketball...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team takes to the road for the first of two-str...
Lead Slips Away For Women's Basketball Against ...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team was unable to hold on to its lead against ...
Women's Basketball Hosts Lafayette For Field...
The Loyola University Maryland women's basketball team will host Lafayette College on Wednesday...
Women's Basketball Hands Lehigh Its First...
Led by a career-high 20 points from Diana Logan, the Loyola University Maryland women's...
Thursday, Jan 29 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Holy Cross Worcester, Mass. 7:00 PM Live Stats | Video
Saturday, Jan 31 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Army Reitz Arena 2:00 PM Video Wednesday, Feb 4 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE American Reitz Arena 7:00 PM Video Saturday, Feb 7 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Lehigh Bethlehem, Pa. 2:00 PM Wednesday, Feb 11 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Lafayette Easton, Pa. 7:00 PM Saturday, Feb 14 EVENT LOCATION TIME COVERAGE Boston University Reitz Arena 2:00 PM Video