Senior Day For Men's Soccer Set For Saturday Night
Nov. 7, 2013
|Date||Saturday, November 9, 2013|
|Location||Baltimore, Maryland | Ridley Athletic Complex|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Free Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
Loyola Men’s Soccer
• Loyola is in its 71st season as a men’s soccer program, while this is the Greyhounds’ 32nd year of competition as an NCAA Division I program.
• It is also Loyola’s inaugural year as a member of the Patriot League.
• The Greyhounds were members of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference for 24 years, posting an overall record of 167-24-8 in conference games from 1989-2012. Loyola also claimed 16 regular-season titles and 12 MAAC Tournament titles in that time.
• Loyola opened the year with its best start since 2008, going unbeaten through its first six games.
• The Greyhounds hit a rough patch after that though, posting an eight-game winless streak.
• Loyola snapped its streak with a 3-1 win over American, marking the program’s first-ever Patriot League victory. The Greyhounds earned their first conference point with a tie at Colgate.
• Sophomore Larry Ndjock leads the Patriot League with 11 goals and 23 points, while senior Stephen Dooley is second in the league with six assists.
• Junior Connor Thompson is second on the team with four goals, while Dooley has two scores and senior Diego McQuestion and sophomore Dominic Marshall each have one.
• In goal, seniors Zach Kane and Thurman Van Riper, in addition to freshman Jordan Watson, have all seen time, with each earning at least one win. Van Riper has earned two shutout victories, while Watson has the other clean sheet.
• The Leopards, winless in their last four games, are coming off a 1-0 loss at NJIT on Wednesday.
• Peter Adubato leads Lafayette with nine points and four goals. Alec Golini and Bryan White each share a team best two assists.
• Nathan McDonald has played every minute in goal, allowing just 13 goals for an 0.69 goals-against average. With 66 saves, he is stopping 83.5 percent of shots faced.
• While the two squads have not played since 1995, Loyola leads the all-time series, 2-1.
• Loyola claimed the first two victories, a 3-2 overtime victory in 1986 and a 2-1 win in 1988.
• In 1995, the Leopards knocked the Greyhounds out of the NCAA Championships with a 4-3 overtime victory in the play-in game.
• Loyola will honor its five seniors - Stephen Dooley, Zach Kane, Jamie Libby, Diego McQuestion and Thurman Van Riper - prior to the start of the game.
• This group has helped Loyola to a 38-27-7 record throughout the last four years, including a MAAC Regular Season title in 2012.
• They have also scored 23 goals, assisted 32 times and have stopped 176 shots, all while contributing to 25 shutouts.
Ndjock Ranked Nationally
• Sophomore Larry Ndjock ranks in the top six in the NCAA in both goals and points per game.
• With 11 goals in 13 games, Ndjock is second nationally with 0.85 goals per game.
• He is also sixth nationally with 1.75 points per game.
Lending a Helping Hand
• With 22 assists throughout his career, senior Stephen Dooley ranks eighth in Loyola’s NCAA Division I records for career assists.
• On Loyola’s all-time records list, Dooley is tied with Nick Mangione (‘79) for 11th.
• He’s also just the third player under Mettrick to reach 20 assists in a career.
• Sophomore Larry Ndjock notched his 50th career point and cracked into Loyola’s all-time Division I top-15 career goals list in a 3-1 win over American on Wednesday, Oct. 30.
• Ndjock had a hand in all three of Loyola’s goals, scoring twice and adding an assist.
• With 24 goals in the past two years, Ndjock moved past Rob Elliott (1989-91) and Ari Edelman (1993-96) for sole possession of 14th on Loyola’s NCAA Division I goals list and 21st on the all-time records.
• In addition, he’s just the fourth player under Mettrick to make their way onto the list. Phil Bannister (2007-10, 39 goals) is ranked ninth, Jamie Darvill (2006-09, 36) is 12th and Omar Alfonso (2003-06, 28) is 19th.
Consistently Seeing Double
• Sophomore Larry Ndjock scored his 10th goal of the season in a 3-1 win over American on Wednesday, Oct. 30 to become the first Greyhound since Jamie Darvill to notch double-digit goals in consecutive seasons. Phil Bannister was the last person to record double-figure scores in both his freshman (2008, 13 goals) and sophomore (2009, 13) seasons.
• Ndjock recorded 13 goals and three assists as a rookie and has 11 goals and one assist so far this season.
• Darvill had 14 goals as a junior in 2008 and 10 goals as a senior in 2009.
CoSIDA/Capital One Academic All-District
• For the second-straight year, senior Thurman Van Riper has been named the CoSIDA/Capital One Academic All-District II First Team goalkeeper.
• An accounting major, Van Riper maintains a 3.89 cumulative grade-point average, including a 4.0 in his major. He’s a member of Loyola’s Sellinger Scholars honors program and the Green & Grey Society.
• He’s now eligible for Academic All-America consideration.
• Four Greyhounds have hit career milestones this season.
• Senior Stephen Dooley and sophomore Larry Ndjock both recorded their 50th career points, while senior Thurman Van Riper collected his 100th career save and classmate Zach Kane notched his 50th.
• Dooley got his 50th point by assisting Ndjock’s game-tying goal at Colgate. Dooley has 14 goals and 22 assists throughout his career.
• Ndjock’s 50th point was also an assist. American blocked his initial shot, but junior Connor Thompson put away the rebound to get Ndjock his 50th point. He has 23 goals and four assists.
• Van Riper’s fourth save in a shutout win at Quinnipiac was his 100th career save.
• Kane stopped two shots versus Army to record his 50th career save.
Men's Soccer To Hold Open Tryouts Saturday,...
Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team will hold open tryouts for all interested and...
Men's Soccer Spring Schedule Features Four Home...
The Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team will have five contests and an alumni game this ...
62 Students Named To Fall Patriot League Honor ...
Loyola University Maryland had 62 student-athletes named to the Patriot League Academic Honor...
Patriot League Network Features Three Green &...
Melanie Pellowski, the Patriot League Network's correspondent, highlights three Loyola University...
Men's And Women's Soccer Earn NSCAA Team...
The Loyola University Maryland men's and women's soccer teams were among 861 college soccer teams...
Men's Soccer Announces First Winter ID Camp...
The Loyola University Maryland men's soccer program has announced that it will hold its first...
Cahalan Repeats As An Academic All-Patriot...
Loyola University Maryland senior Joseph Cahalan has been named to the Men's Soccer Academic All-...
Thompson Voted To All-Patriot League Second Team
Loyola University Maryland senior Connor Thompson picked up his third all-conference honor Monday...