Regular-Season Finale, Senior Day Set For MSOC Saturday vs. Lafayette
The Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team is playing for the Patriot League regular-season title Saturday, as it hosts Lafayette at 1 p.m. With a win, Loyola would claim its first regular-season championship since 2008, and its first since joining the Patriot League for the 2013 season.
|Date||Saturday, Nov. 4|
|Location||Baltimore, Md. | Ridley Athletic Complex|
|Watch||Patriot League Network|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter | Instagram|
• Saturday's game marks the regular-season finale for the Greyhounds.
• With a win, Loyola would capture the Patriot League regular-season championship, its first regular-season title since 2008 and first since joining the Patriot League for the 2013 season.
• The Greyhounds recorded their 38th 10-win season in program history and first since 2012 and first under head coach Steve Nichols with a 4-1 win over American on Wednesday, Oct. 25.
• After opening the season with five goals in a 5-4 win at La Salle, Loyola struggled with injuries and suffered a scoring slump of scoring seven goals in nine games. The Greyhounds have started to hit their stride recently though, scoring 14 goals in the last six contests.
• Loyola became the first Patriot League team to score against Boston University this year, as the Terriers had outscored their League opponents by a 9-0 margin in the first four contests.
• The Greyhounds are outscoring opponents, 17-9, in eight League contests this season.
• Loyola was picked to win the Patriot League, while sophomores Brian Saramago and Barry Sharifi were voted the Preseason Patriot League Offensive and Midfield Player of the Year, respectively.
• Eleven of Loyola’s 16 games have been decided by one goal or less this year.
• Loyola will honor its two seniors - Matt Bautista and Joseph Nichols - prior to the start of the game.
• Both Greyhounds joined the program for the 2015 season and, over the past three years, have helped Loyola to 20 wins and six ties, with three of those results coming against nationally ranked teams.
• In the Patriot League, the duo has helped Loyola to a 12-3-2 mark over the past two seasons, while they'll be making their second-straight appearance in the Patriot League tournament next week.
Patriot League Championship
• The Greyhounds are playing for a Patriot League regular-season title on Saturday.
• The winner of the Patriot League regular season will earn the top seed in next week's Patriot League Championships and will host the semifinals and championship games Friday, Nov. 10 and Sunday, Nov. 12, respectively.
• With a win over Lafayette, Loyola would capture its first regular-season title since 2008 and first since joining the Patriot League for the 2013 season.
• If Loyola and Lafayette tie, the Greyhounds could still host the tournament, as it would tie Boston University and potentially Lehigh (if the Mountain Hawks win at Holy Cross on Saturday) for the regular-season championship. The League's tiebreaker scenarios would determine the site of next week's tournament.
Loyola Greyhounds (10-5-1, 6-2-0 Patriot League)
• Sophomore Brian Saramago, the Patriot League Offensive Player of the Week this week, leads the Greyhounds with seven goals and 17 points, while classmate Barry Sharifi is second with16 points on five goals and six assists and sophomore Josh Fawole is third with 12 points (4g, 4a).
• Junior Gabriel Carlsson leads the team with eight assists.
• In Patriot League only games, Saramago ranks second in the League in points (16) and goals (7), while Sharifi is tied for fourth with 11 points and Fawole is tied for sixth with nine points. Sharifi is also tied for the League lead with five assists in conference games.
• In addition to Fawole, Saramago and Sharifi, six other Greyhounds have scored this season - Nico Brown, Sam Brown, Sam Carter, Aldo Ruiz, TJ Walker and A. Mickey Watson.
• In goal, freshman Chase Vosvick has started and played 15 full games, posting a 1.18 goals-against average, 54 saves and a .750 save percentage. In League games, Vosvick is ranked fourth in goals-against average (1.12) and save percentage (.735).
Lafayette Leopards (4-13-0, 3-5-0 Patriot League)
• Evan Vare leads the Leopards with seven goals and 15 points, while Christian Moyse is second with three goals and six points.
• Chris Gomez (2g), Martin Ssessanga (1g) and Diego Gomera-Tavarez (1g) are the only other Leopards to find the back of the net this season.
• In goal, Brad Seeber has started 10 games, logging 840 minutes, while Brian Ehrlich has started the other seven and played 714 minutes. Seeber has a 1.61 goals-against average and .681 save percentage, while Ehrlich has a 2.27 GAA and .654 save percentage.
Versus The Leopards
• The Greyhounds lead the all-time series with Lafayette, 4-2-1, after picking up a 2-0 road win over the Leopards last season.
• Since joining the Patriot League, Loyola is 2-1-1 against Lafayette, with the two squads trading 1-0 home wins - Loyola won in 2013 and Lafayette won in 2014 - before the two teams played to a 1-1 double-overtime tie in Easton, Pennsylvania, in 2015.
• The two teams played three times before becoming conference foes, with Lafayette coming out on top of the last meeting, a 4-3 double-overtime decision in the play-in game of the 1995 NCAA Championships.
• Loyola also earned a 2-1 neutral site win over Lafayette in 1988 and a 3-2 win in Baltimore in 1986.
Loyola Drops Heartbreaker To Colgate In Patriot...
The top-seeded Loyola University Maryland men’s soccer team dropped a heartbreaker to the...
Campbell Named CoSIDA Academic All-District
Loyola University Maryland junior Jacob Campbell has been named to the 2017 CoSIDA Academic All-D...
Saramago Named To TopDrawerSoccer Team Of The Week
Loyola University Maryland men’s soccer sophomore Brian Saramago has been named to the...
Carlsson, Campbell Earn Patriot League Men̵...
A pair of Loyola men's soccer players – Jake Campbell and Gabriel Carlsson – were...
Men's Soccer Draws Defending Champion Colgate...
The Loyola University Maryland men’s soccer team will host defending Patriot League...
Tickets For Patriot League Men's Soccer...
Tickets for the 2017 Patriot League Men's Soccer Championships are on sale now. Loyola will host ...
Loyola Athletics Ranks Seventh In NCAA's...
Loyola University Maryland continued its outstanding performance in the NCAA’s Graduation...
Sharifi, Vosvick, Nichols Earn Major Awards;...
Barry Sharifi, Chase Vosvick and Steve Nichols earned major year-end awards from the Patriot...
There are no upcoming events.