Men's Soccer Travels To Navy For Saturday Night Contest
Nov. 1, 2013
|Date||Saturday, November 2, 2013|
|Location||Annapolis, Maryland | Glenn Warner Soccer Facility|
|Online Media||Live Stats | Video|
|Follow Us||Facebook | Twitter|
Loyola Men’s Soccer
• Loyola is in its 71st season as a men’s soccer program, while this is the Greyhounds’ 32nd year of competition as an NCAA Division I program.
• It is also Loyola’s inaugural year as a member of the Patriot League.
• The Greyhounds were members of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference for 24 years, posting an overall record of 167-24-8 in conference games from 1989-2012. Loyola also claimed 16 regular-season titles and 12 MAAC Tournament titles in that time.
• Loyola opened the year with its best start since 2008, going unbeaten through its first six games.
• The Greyhounds hit a rough patch after that though, posting an eight-game winless streak.
• Loyola snapped its streak with a 3-1 win over American, marking the program’s first-ever Patriot League victory. The Greyhounds earned their first conference point with a tie at Colgate.
• Sophomore Larry Ndjock leads the Patriot League with 10 goals and 21 points, while senior Stephen Dooley is second in the league with six assists.
• Junior Connor Thompson is second on the team with four goals, while Dooley has two scores and senior Diego McQuestion and sophomore Dominic Marshall each have one.
• In goal, seniors Zach Kane and Thurman Van Riper, in addition to freshman Jordan Watson, have all seen time, with each earning at least one win. Van Riper has earned two shutout victories, while Watson has the other clean sheet.
• Navy enters the weekend at the top of the Patriot League standings with a perfect 7-0-0 record.
• The Midshipmen currently boast the nation’s longest active win streak, winners of 10 straight.
• Jamie Dubyoski leads Navy, and ranks second in the Patriot League, with nine goals and 20 points this year. He is helped offensively by Joseph Greenspan, who has tallied five goals, and Martin Sanchez who tops the Patriot League with seven assists.
• In goal, Gavin Snyder is undefeated at 10-0-0. He has allowed just three goals in 902 minutes, an 0.30 goals-against average. He has also stopped 37 shots for a .925 save percentage.
• Navy leads the four-game series history, 2-1-1, including 1-0-1 in Annapolis.
• The last time the two squads met, in 2011, the game was called early due to weather.
• Loyola’s lone win in the series was at Towson in 2003. The Greyhounds won 2-1 in overtime.
• The Greyhounds will conclude the regular season on Saturday with a game vs. Lafayette.
• Saturday will be Senior Day for Loyola, with Stephen Dooley, Zach Kane, Jamie Libby, Diego McQuestion and Thurman Van Riper being honored before the game.
Patriot League Points
• The Greyhounds earned their first-ever point in the Patriot League by tying Colgate, 1-1, in a double-overtime road game on Saturday, Oct. 5.
• Loyola then earned its first Patriot League victory on Wednesday, Oct. 30, when it beat American, 3-1, at Ridley Athletic Complex.
Ndjock Ranked Nationally
• Sophomore Larry Ndjock ranks in the top five in the NCAA in both goals and points per game.
• With 10 goals in 12 games, Ndjock is third with 0.83 goals per game.
• He is also tied for sixth nationally with 1.75 points per game.
Lending a Helping Hand
• With 22 assists throughout his career, senior Stephen Dooley ranks eighth in Loyola’s NCAA Division I records for career assists.
• On Loyola’s all-time records list, Dooley is tied with Nick Mangione (‘79) for 11th.
• He’s also just the third player under Mettrick to reach 20 assists in a career.
• Sophomore Larry Ndjock notched his 50th career point and cracked into Loyola’s all-time Division I top-15 career goals list in a 3-1 win over American on Wednesday, Oct. 30.
• Ndjock had a hand in all three of Loyola’s goals, scoring twice and adding an assist.
• With 23 goals in the past two years, Ndjock is tied with Rob Elliott (1989-91) and Ari Edelman (1993-96) for 14th on Loyola’s NCAA Division I goals list and 21st on the all-time records.
• In addition, he’s just the fourth player under Mettrick to make their way onto the list. Phil Bannister (2007-10, 39 goals) is ranked ninth, Jamie Darvill (2006-09, 36) is 12th and Omar Alfonso (2003-06, 28) is 19th.
Consistently Seeing Double
• Sophomore Larry Ndjock scored his 10th goal of the season in a 3-1 win over American on Wednesday, Oct. 30 to become the first Greyhound since Jamie Darvill to notch double-digit goals in consecutive seasons. Phil Bannister was the last person to record double-figure scores in both his freshman (2008, 13 goals) and sophomore (2009, 13) seasons.
• Ndjock recorded 13 goals and three assists as a rookie and has 10 goals and one assist so far this season.
• Darvill had 14 goals as a junior in 2008 and 10 goals as a senior in 2009.
CoSIDA/Capital One Academic All-District
• For the second-straight year, senior Thurman Van Riper has been named the CoSIDA/Capital One Academic All-District II First Team goalkeeper.
• An accounting major, Van Riper maintains a 3.89 cumulative grade-point average, including a 4.0 in his major. He’s a member of Loyola’s Sellinger Scholars honors program and the Green & Grey Society.
• Four Greyhounds have hit career milestones this season.
• Senior Stephen Dooley and sophomore Larry Ndjock both recorded their 50th career points, while senior Thurman Van Riper collected his 100th career save and classmate Zach Kane notched his 50th.
• Dooley got his 50th point by assisting Ndjock’s game-tying goal at Colgate. Dooley has 14 goals and 22 assists throughout his career.
• Ndjock’s 50th point was also an assist. American blocked his initial shot, but junior Connor Thompson put away the rebound to get Ndjock his 50th point. He has 23 goals and four assists.
• Van Riper’s fourth save in a shutout win at Quinnipiac was his 100th career save.
• Kane stopped two shots versus Army to record his 50th career save.
Four Greyhounds Named To MAAC 35th Anniversary ...
Four former Loyola University Maryland men’s and women’s soccer players were included...
Sanchez Named Player Of Match After Performance...
Loyola University Maryland men's soccer goalkeeper Matt Sanchez was named the Most Valuable...
Men's Soccer To Host Second Winter ID Camp...
The Loyola University Maryland men's soccer program has announced that it will hold a second...
Men's Soccer Concludes Season With Loss To Holy...
The Loyola University Maryland men’s soccer team concluded its season with a 2-0 loss to...
Senior Day Saturday For Men's Soccer Vs....
The Loyola men's soccer team will conclude its season on Saturday hosting Holy Cross for Senior...
Men's Soccer Falls At Colgate, 1-0
The Loyola University Maryland men’s soccer team fell to Colgate, 1-0, Saturday afternoon...
Men's Soccer Falls At Bucknell In Rain-Soak...
The Loyola University Maryland men’s soccer team fell to Bucknell, 5-0, in a rain-soaked...
Men's Soccer Travels To Bucknell Wednesday,...
The Loyola men's soccer team has a pair of road games this week, as the Greyhounds travel to...
There are no upcoming events.