Oct. 29, 2013
Loyola Men’s Soccer
• Loyola is in its 71st season as a men’s soccer program, while this is the Greyhounds’ 32nd year of competition as an NCAA Division I program.
• It is also Loyola’s inaugural year as a member of the Patriot League.
• The Greyhounds were members of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference for 24 years, posting an overall record of 167-24-8 in conference games from 1989-2012. Loyola also claimed 16 regular-season titles and 12 MAAC Tournament titles in that time.
• Loyola opened the year with its best start since 2008, going unbeaten through its first six games.
• The Greyhounds have hit a rough patch since then though, and are still looking for their first Patriot League victory. Loyola earned its first conference point with a tie at Colgate.
• Sophomore Larry Ndjock leads the Patriot League with 0.73 goals and 1.45 points per game, while senior Stephen Dooley is second in the league with six assists
• Junior Connor Thompson is second on the team with three goals, while Dooley has two scores and senior Diego McQuestion and sophomore Dominic Marshall each have one.
• In goal, seniors Zach Kane and Thurman Van Riper, in addition to freshman Jordan Watson, have all seen time, with each earning at least one win. Van Riper has earned two shutout victories, while Watson has the other clean sheet.
American University Eagles
• American was selected as the favorite in the Preseason Patriot League Poll and currently ranks fourth.
• The Eagles, winless through their last five contests, are coming off a pair of double-overtime scoreless draws against West Virginia and Lafayette at home.
• Joe Iraola leads American with four goals this year, tying him for seventh in the Patriot League, while Michael Cherry and Dale Ludwig also rank tied for sixth in the league with three assists.
• In goal, Billy Knutsen is fourth in the Patriot League with an 0.87 goals-against average and .836 save percentage. He also ranks second with 61 saves.
• American is Loyola's most storied rival in the Patriot League, as the two programs have met 38 times.
• The Greyhounds hold the advantage, 22-13-4, and won last year's meeting, 2-0, in Washington, D.C.
• Under head coach Mark Mettrick, Loyola is 3-4 against American.
• Loyola will head on the road for its final regular-season road game at Navy on Saturday.
• Game time is slated for 7 p.m.
The Last Meeting
September 25, 2012
Ridley Athletic Complex
Greyhounds Shutout American, 2-0, Tuesday Night
Junior Stephen Dooley and freshman Larry Ndjock teamed up twice Tuesday night to lead the Loyola University Maryland men's soccer team to a 2-0 victory over American at Ridley Athletic Complex. In goal, junior Thurman Van Riper (above) earned his third shutout.